- advertisement -

Basal vs carb

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BRANDYB, Mar 9, 2009.

1. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Haley is on the pump and I still have to call in her numbers every week. How do they know if her basals need to go up or if her carb ratios need to change?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

They most likely look over your log and download your pump info and look for patterns.

During the day, if recurring lows, probably a basal issue, unless it's soon after a meal, then most likely a bolus problem. Or both:D Same with highs.
    If waking up low or high, then definitely a basal issue. If the late evening reading is high, maybe a bit of basal and bolus adjusting is needed.
    There's so much else to take into consideration, but on the big lines, this is IMHO basically what they look for.

I can only assume they look over your numbers (and maybe the food eaten if noted) and spot trends, and give their suggestions accordingly.

That is why logging or downloading the pump info is really helpful. You can see what's happening and where you should concentrate to fix things.
    (I go by phases on logging. Right now, every little thing is noted. When BGs are more stable:rolleyes: then I back off logging a bit:eek:)

IMHO:D

3. linda

linda Approved members

In the few years Em is pumping, the basel was barely touched, only extreme times such as camp-(almost cut basel in half!!)...or drastic changes (Growth spurt, hormones etc)...mostly fix major problems with carb and correction ratios...:cwds:

4. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I just changed Trey's basal across the board yesterday. He has been creeping up in the last couple of weeks. I am usually very cautious when making basal changes. I upped carb ratio's not to long ago as well. If he is running high about 2-3 hours after a meal consistantly I look at carb ratio. If he is running high at other times I change basal. Sometimes both needs change at the same time. I will be doing some basal testing this weekend to check on my upping those basals. Of course if he starts running low, I will change it back before testing.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The next time you go, ask them to teach you what they are doing. I learned from the CDE looking at the numbers to find patterns as well as reading books and learning from here. It isn't rocket science.

Eventually, you or your child will need to learn to do this without the office's input. You and your daughter are the ones who live with diabetes day in and day out. This puts you in the best position to notice patterns.