- advertisement -

Basal Testing

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Nov 30, 2013.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

I'll admit it, I don't remember quite everything I read from that website, but I remember finding one describing the "Basal Test" process. Granted, before I saw about a "Basal Test" I was just gonna start with slightly less than my lantus dose divided equally through the day and go from there and try to spot trends etc and adjust on-the-fly over the course of a few days/weeks.

But then I saw about the Basal Test and was curious and was gonna go for it as it seemed at least a little more exact than what I was gonna do...

While it says to "cancel" the test at any point you are over/under by 30 or so from your initial BG (which assumes the test would usually have to be done over a few days until you get the dosage right at the right time of day).... in a perfect world... if you happen to have the exact same basal requirements throughout the day (which is unlikely), does that mean that you might not eat for a whole day whilst running the test? Or is it intended to be done in separate segments anyway over a series of days (Overnight, morning, afternoon, evening)?

While I do enjoy my food... I'm almost hopeful that the "final" (or first if you happen to be so lucky) test is an all day "starvation" thing just to get it overwith as quickly as possible... but is that indeed what is intended, or am I misunderstanding the process.

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Here's a great article that might answer any question you would have about basal testing: http://diatribe.us/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas However, Basal Testing is usually used when you are on a pump...if you are on Lantus you aren't going to be able to adjust the basal insulin you receive hour by hour. When we were on Lantus, we would adjust one to two units up or down for the whole dose and wait to see the results.

It's definitely done in segments!

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I would not cancel the test if my son went up or down by 30 mg/dL. It is important to see where BGs move. If he goes up by 50 points, then I want to know if he will continue to go up or whether his BG will go down again on its own. That's the point of the exercise, as far as I can see. We make adjustments to try and fix the rise or fall if he goes up or down, though.

I stop the test if he goes so low or so high that I feel I must treat him for his own health and safety. Other than that, we go for as long as he can hold out--for breakfast we can go to about 1:30-2:00, for lunch we go from 7:30 to about 3:30 or 4:00, and for dinner we try to go overnight.

4. GChick

GChick Approved members

Thats what I want to do it for... for figuring out how to successfully switch over to the pump when I get it.

[re-reading and now understanding the confusion: When I said "Lantus dose" I just meant that for comparisons sake.... meaning I take 17 units of Lantus/day now, so I was gonna divide that by 24 to get my initial basal hourly dose of humalog (+/- 0.71) that I'd start out with on the pump (but lower it slightly, just in case.) and then go from there] Clear as mud?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

That's exactly how we started.

Basal testing is done in segments, and I always work on overnights first.

6. GChick

GChick Approved members

Yip... Overnight is definitely the easiest "fasting" time... also probably the most consistent (though still not always) day to day.

7. obtainedmist

One thing to keep in mind is that the first few days, there might still be some residual Lantus working in the system. We freaked out at a 90 at night and changed all the settings, just to switch them back within days because of all the highs we were getting. After basal testing, we did mostly trial and adjustment when things weren't exactly how we wanted them.

8. GChick

GChick Approved members

Yes... I planned to COMPLETELY wing it the first 24 hours to give the Lantus chance to run its course and maybe do the basal test the second day. "Fortunately" I split my Lantus dose, so hopefully that last daytime dose (the smaller of the two) will be gone after 24 hours (or actually +/-36 between the last anticipated Lantus shot and the start of the Basal Test).... ~hopefully~

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I would start out with one basal and work with the nights to begin with. Having only one basal setting for the 24 hours won't be any different than Lantus. Give it a few days to observe what it happening at night (do you have a CGM; it really helps to see what is happening). Then I would start testing one section of the day at a time.

The T1U classes on pump management and basal testing are excellent. I highly recommend taking them. I still refer to the power point notes at times.

https://www.type1university.com/

10. GChick

GChick Approved members

Nah. I do not have (nor have I ever used) a CGM. As useful as they may be, I'm not yet at the point where I want TWO things attached to me (give me time, I'm sure I'll get there). Also, I'm sorta just scraping by with affording the pump/supplies (semi) "comfortably"... don't really want to deal with any more financial expenditures at the moment (I have no idea how much something like that would cost anyway? Maybe it's cheap?).

Night time lately is oddly enough my most consistent time, so that will indeed be a good place to start figuring it out and then work on my daytime configuration.

As long as I go to bed with a good BG, I know I'll wake up with one... so hopefully at least that will keep (now, if I'm over/under when I plan to go to bed... then I might wake up high either due to overcorrection with food or undercorrection with insulin). Granted, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes to get me there (might skyrocket and then drop), but at least morning numbers can be counted on.

11. obtainedmist

12. GChick

GChick Approved members

Thanks. That site seemed to give the most precise example of a "Basal test schedule" than most others I've seen.

How other sites worded it seemed to leave it more open ended and a little vague, even though they were probably saying the same thing.