- advertisement -

Basal question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Last week Tyler had an endo appointment...it went well, a1c is still the same (he has basically had the same a1c for the past year)

Anyways, we are still battling high bgs at night, but he has enough lows during the day to not increase his lantus, so endo recommended a small basal from 12am - 2am....well now with this increase he is even higher in the middle of the night and it takes more than 1 correction to get him down...is this a coincidence or is there some strange reason why an increase in basal would make him high. ( there haven't been any lows before the high). Should I try to increase the basal from 12am - 2am or maybe start the basal earlier?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If you've tested and know the highs are related to prior undetected lows, I would say this is just puberty hormones making him grow during the night. Needing much more nighttime basal with puberty is what made us switch to the pump from MDI.

3. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Not due to previous lows....I think I will start his extra basal around 10pm (per a suggestion of a friend)...or maybe does he needs a different correction factor at night to battle these highs?