- advertisement -

Basal/ bolus question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Jan 6, 2010.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I think i have read that basal rates should make up more than the bolus. I was looking over John's #'s and trying to see where I needed to make an adjustment.
    I never really paid to much attention on how much basal and bolus difference there was until I read another post.
    John is getting 2-3 more units bolus than he is getting in basal a day. His carb intake can be anywhere from 100-200 carbs a day.
    He has a cold right now so it will be hard for me to figure where he needs any adjustments. He is going high and then coming down with a correction it just takes a little longer than usual.
    Do you think I should change his basal rates so that he is getting more basal and this might help with the higher numbers? It has seemed that even up to 3 hours after meals he is still higher, but it can be at different meals on different days.

2. MichS

MichS Approved members

Some literature says that basal/bolus should be 50/50. We are about 40 basal/60 bolus. I think it should be about even, personally. But, if you are going to make changes, do them gradually, and you may need to adjust the I:C ratios as well.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm about 40% basal, 60% bolus. It's what works for you, really. My control used to be great at a time when I needed 20% basal, 80% bolus.

4. Boo

Boo Approved members

I know our doc wants us to be closer to 50/50. We're probably more like 70/30 or even 75/25 these days...but my son is in puberty full swing right now, and eats constantly. :rolleyes:

5. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We were told that they generally wanted it close to 50/50, but it doesn't have to be right on. We were around 60/40 (most bolus than basal) and that wasn't working for us. Seems she does better when we're close to the 50/50.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think I'm the only one who doesn't really care about our basal/bolus ratio, and never looks at that statistic. If he's high after meals, I adjust I:C. If he goes up between meals, I adjust basal. His basal/bolus ratio depends on how many carbs he eats per day, anyway. It's not like it's a constant.

7. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I don't stress that we aren't "by the book". We are usually 25% basal and 75% bolus. I've even seen 20/80 with my little guy. We have great success with that(most of the time)... YDMV. If he has higher numbers all around yes I would probably tweak the basal.

8. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

No, you're not the only one. I subscribe to this as well though I do look at the statistic but out of curiousity not as a measure of anything meaningful. Make adjustments based on what is needed, not in an effort to try and achieve some preset one-size-fits-all ratio. Ethan has never been 50/50 bolus/basal. When we started he was about 60/40, has been as high as 70/30, is currently averaging (it changes daily) about 65/35.

9. joan

joan Approved members

I feel the same way. Nothing is constant around here except my son's appetite and he loves carbs. 50/50 is impossible right now. 40/60 maybe. Who knows and we don't even think that way. Its the blood sugar, food, and activity that dictates what we do not a mathematical formula based on total insulin.

10. Toni

Toni Banned

Not true. Basal should be 40 percent or a little less, bolus the other 60 for the younger children. It is the teens who may use a 60 basal, 40 bolus pattern and our endo does not even like that. She would strongly prefer 50/50. And she just mentioned that again last visit. But you can't force their pattern on them. Just do the basal tests for each time period and you will see what his is. Then you will know your own child's pattern.

11. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Thanks for the info. I was wondering because I have tried to figure if it was his basals at night which is why he is always high. I had figured if I increased the basal at night it would change the percentage rates.
    I increased his basal by 0.25u last night and he dropped at 3am (71)and then at 6am (60). This is a big difference from the 300's he is usually at.
    It is to hard to try to do a basal test on him seeing as he is only 5. So I will wait and see what happens tonight to see if it is the basal or I need to change the I:C ratio. It is probably going to be the I:C that needs to be changed.
    Also, it is a new site.