- advertisement -

Ban on insulin during Haj?

Discussion in 'The Middle East' started by Ellen, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The Frontier Post
    Ban on insulin during Haj?Prof Jaweed Akhter KarachiI was disappointed to hear from some of my patients with diabetes that the physician at the Haji Camp refused to allow them to carry insulin on their Haj pilgrimage. Apparently this is because it is liquid. My colleagues also relate the same yes to their patients. Insulin is essential for life in patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and even a period of 24 hours without insulin can lead to life-threatening consequences. In Type 2 diabetes mellitus stopping insulin can lead to problems with acute elevation in blood glucose, infections and other complications, including a heart disease. We usually start these patients on insulin when oral agents fail and in Type 1 diabetes there is no role of oral agents. Whoever is responsible for this regulation prohibiting insulin would be responsible for consequences of this rule. Obviously appropriate physicians were not consulted and no thought was given to the policymaking. Even with all the restrictions on carrying items on international flights now, you can still carry up to 50mls of liquid and no one stops the carriage of insulin. Why are the Muslims with diabetes being put at this high risk while doing their religious duty? I urge the ministry of health and ministry of religious affair to put an immediate end to this ridiculous regulation and talk to the Saudis if the restriction has come from there. The Saudi government should know better as their population has one of the highest rates of diabetes in the world. In addition, those individuals who have already left without their insulin must be provided insulin immediately in Saudi Arabia. If this is not done promptly, then we may read of hundreds of Hajis dying this year, not because of stampedes, but because of lack of insulin imposed by fellow Muslims in this day and age.

2. jade

jade Approved members

This article is totally wrong. First of all, me and my husband went in 2007 and it was not banned. He took his lantus and his novolog with him and was not barred by security. They even checked his prescriptions and didn't say a word. Also, during Hajj, the Saudis have free medical treatment for over 3 million pilgrims and this includes free insulin. I saw this first hand when I went to one of the numerous clinics to get (free) cold medicine for myself. They had fridges and fridges of insulin bottles incase a diabetic needed them during the pilgrimage

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I believe that Payam quoted a couple a passages from the Koran stating that such normal sacrificies during religious pilgrimages are specifically permitted.