- advertisement -

Bad Strips

Discussion in 'Grandparents' started by Patti, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Patti

Patti New Member

Hi
    This is the first time I have ever posted anything on this but wanted to share something that happened. My granddaughter Cecelia DX 1/09 has been on the pump since 9/09 is having trouble with lows lately. The other night she told her Mom that she needed her jelly that her sugar was low, so they checked her to find the glucometer read 527. My daughter (who is an RN) just felt something was not right with that and decided to check her with another glucometer and that read error. She retried with the first meter and that also read error. They had opened that bottle of strips that morning and her other grandmother had a couple of readings that said error so my daughter decided to open a new bottle of strips and recheck her and she was right she was 54.
    After calling the company they are sending her a new glucometer and strips and she has to return the strips and glucometer she was calling about. They told her she had probably had a bad batch of strips!! I was just wondering if this was common or if anyone else has had bad strips?
    It is a very scary thing and it never entered my mind as her grandma/caretaker that I had to think of that too.

2. Toni

Toni Banned

If I have a high that makes no sense I retest. But this could happen to any of us. Scary thought. Call insurance and maybe try to return the strips?

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

was the code right for the strips? im a grandma too but i post on the parent's board, you will get more answers there..welcome!:)

4. Patti

Patti New Member

Thanks for your reply and yes the code was correct we did think to check that. We received the new glucometer and strips in the mail and a follow up phone call from the company asking my daughter the same questions they asked her the night it happened. Almost like her answers were never recorded? Strange. I will have to frequent this site when I am searching for answers, quite new to all of this but I am learning. I will keep you grandbabies in my prayers, thanks again for your reply. Patti