- advertisement -

Bad nights and school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We had a horrible night last night, highs, and hi's.. ketones, all because of pizza, a bath and cracked tubing.:rolleyes: She really had horrible sleep, didn't want to get up this morning etc.. I told her she could go back to bed and I'd bring her later, but she didn't want to be late for school.. What do you do in these situations?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

At age 7, she probably would benefit more from sleeping than from going into school. Hopefully your 504 covers issues like this, so she can make-up the work.

I would explain to her that sometimes in treating the diabetes, things don't go as planned and this is a valid reason to be late to school.

3. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Sorry to hear that! On a Monday I'd be very inclined to let her get some more sleep. It's hard to start the week off tired. Would she miss anything critical?

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

She is 7 so ... I wouldn't stress too much.

This is much harder when they are older - middle school or high school - and missing class is a real PITA. Then it might be better to sleepwalk through class - or at least go half the day when they are that age. But by then they are more than happy to give you input.;)

5. joan

joan Approved members

I would let her go. Tell her to go to the nurse if she wants to come home. Then I would make sure she went to bed early tonight.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If it were Maddie it would probably be that her fav class is period one, or that she doesn't like having to get a late pass from the office ladies who are "scary":p or the like.

Problem is that once they are awake - at least for Maddie, if she wants to go to school she just won't be able to go back to sleep, so staying home is sort of pointless.:eek: A few times over the years I've just put on foot down and, after a bad night either let her sleep in or given her a "mental health day". But it get harder as they get older. :cwds:

Sorry she had such a lousy night.:(

7. Flutterby

I called the school to warn them that she is not in a good mood as she had a bad night. I haven't actually had our office 504 meeting this year.. I'm not worried as I know the school will do what they need to do.. they take really good care of her. But I asked them how do I go about making sure that she isn't getting marked for these absenses.. she said she can fill it out in the computer so they aren't counted against her and so we wouldn't get a note home saying that she's had to many days out. In the future, I'll let her sleep after a night like that, when she wakes up, I'll take her to school. I have done that once before.. she got an extra hour or so of sleep and wasn't such a bear when she woke up..

We were still dealing with high issues when she went off to school. I know her site is working, it was just taking FOREVER for her to come down.. Hopefully she's not to grumpy all day.

8. joan

joan Approved members

Honestly, the office ladies are "scary" in my son's HS. When I drop off his lunch I run in and out to hopefully avoid the evil eye.

9. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I really feel for our kids when this happens. I am sorry she had a rough night.

DD (11 years) always wants to go to school--so I let her and she takes a nap when she gets home.

After one horrible night , I did have her stay home and sleep an extra couple of hours. It depends on the situation, here.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If it's a REALLY bad night like you just had. I tell Seth that he can sleep until he wakes up in the morning, then I let him decide. He hates missing school so he only does it once or twice a year:cwds:

Poor baby, did you give the insulin for pizza before or AFTER she ate?:confused:

11. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

It all depends on the day. Last week Riley had been in the high 300's-400. I kept her home cause it made her feel like poop. We went to the Doc and all that. She felt like poo the next day too but her numbers were in the 200's so I had her go. She had no ketones either day. Today she barfed once has moderate ketones so she is staying home. Even if she didnt barf and had the ketones I think she would be staying home.

12. Flutterby

No, she had her insulin before she ate her pizza.. BUT she had a bath before hand.. We've been having an issue with bath time.. stubborn numbers afterwards.. then she wouldn't come down, and kept going HIGHER so I checked over her pump, assuming there was an airbubble, and noticed her tubing was cracked at the reseveroir.. soooo, even though she was bolused before her pizza she likely didn't get much of that bolus. We delt with highs all day at school too.. should have kept her home.. it was my one day at work this week, they would have not liked it very much if I didn't come in.. I almost left half way through to go get her though.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Pizza is not a good pre-bolus food. Try giving her fastacting after she is COMPLETELY done eating her pizza. I didn't even know pizza was a problem for people before coming here.

That way, the insulin reaction will correlate better with how the fat in the pizza works:cwds: try it, you will like it:D