- advertisement -

Bad Day

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by earruda, Mar 21, 2006.

1. earruda

earruda Approved members

Today we had a very bad day. Margo (age 11) has been suffering from a stomach bug on and off for about 5 days. Vomiting here and there... Anyway, we sent her back to school today and had her check her blood sugars every two hours. We have been having a lot of lows with this virus... She is waking up at 4am-5am with BS in the 40's despite the fact that we keep turning her basal rate down. We even had to use the glucagon once. Today she was feeling better and went back to school. She had a low and treated it fine. On her way home from school (she walks about 8 blocks) she had another low. She stopped at a gas station to call my husband but he was using the vacum and didn't hear the phone. Her BS was 42 and she started to walk the rest of the way home! My husband checked the messages right after she called and ran out to get her. She is OK BS now but I must say it scared us to death! I know that I can't always be with her but today was a very scary day. We have shut her pump off for a few hours per her diabetes team and she seems to be recovering well. How do you ever get to the point where you feel comfortable not being with your kids every minute? I am very proud of her that she stopped to call home. Tomorrow I am getting her a cell phone. What A DAY!

2. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

You poor thing. Just about made me cry. My son in 10 and a half, not on the pump but also wanting to be independent and hang with the kids, etc. It is hard to not be on top of them every minute of the day. I was even contemplating home schooling him (not that I have the patience mind you! :D ) just because of the scariness of having him in school all day with D. Now I do work from home quite often and am able to pick him up straight from school. But there was a time when all I did was pray that he got to aftercare alright and then of course he would call with his BG numbers as soon as he got there. They would be all over the place. Up and down. Go figure.

But yes, get her a cell phone right away. That will ease your mind and hers of course too. My son will be getting one this summer for middle school etc. And always make sure that she has those glucuse tabs in her pockets or lifesavers. Our kids really need those "emergency" candy thingies at all times with them, just in case. They are a Godsend. But don't beat yourself up about all this. Things will happen through her life and you can't be there all the time. She did the right thing to call and hopefully with her new cell phone, she will be just fine.

3. rileysdteam

rileysdteam Approved members

My son is 5 and he also had that stomach flu. Childrens hospital had us reduce insulin. His keytones went really high and that causes vomiting also so with the flu bug and the keytones Riley couldn't keep anything down. We resorted to using the glucagon mini dose therapy, I have always been scared of using glucagon but now I feel much better about it (although the mini dose isn't the same as emergency use) and not so afraid. I am terrified of Riley starting school in September at least it is only kindergarten but it seems like a huge thing trusting his care to someone else. We are going to get Riley a cell phone also but the schools handed out notices saying that the students are nto allowed to have cell phones at school. Does your school have this rule to or do they make an exception. I am she is feeling better, it is hard to watch your children suffer with a sickness.