- advertisement -

Backpain in toddler

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ShanaB, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

My doctor is all over it so I'm not looking for medical advice, rather thoughts :)

For the last 6 weeks or so only when lying down Emma will start complaining about her back -- she can't get comfortable and it progresses to screaming sometimes. It will wake her up at night but not every night. She says it's her back and will try to hold her mid-back -- not lower. I didn't rush to the doctor right away to get on it because it was semi-infrequent but in the last two weeks or so it has become a lot more regular.

We have ruled out a UTI, any infection (blood work came back ok), ultrasound was ok (although most of her organs were gassed out). We went for x-rays of her spine and her abdomen on Friday so should have the results on Monday. Today at nap time it was so bad she was screeching. I was tempted to take her to the ER I was so worried but then instead she got up and was fine -- it's the lying down that is hard on her.

Just wondering if anyone has any similar experience. Her doctor is concerned because he says back pain is pretty rare in kids her age.

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Were you looking for best wishes (you have mine, certainly) or hoping to find folks with experiences that might help?

3. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Both are fantastic Lisa! I appreciate the best wishes :)

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

dumb thought, but could there be something stuck in her bed under her sheet? like a pin or even a wayward test strip?

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have no advice, just sympathizing with you. That is frustrating indeed -- especially if it wakes her up!

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

The only brilliant :rolleyes: thoughts I had was that when my mom had surgery to remove part of her stomach and when my dad had bypass surgery, they both had back pain instead of pain in the chest or abdomen. My understanding is that the nerves deep inside the body don't work the same as those on the outside, they aren't as "clear"? So you often get referred pain, sometimes to the back? So, it could be something like full bowels or some such that the Xrays will make clear by Monday? :) Here's hoping she'll feel better soon.

Do you have a way to put a little wedge or something under the mattress in the meantime to prop the bed a bit? Of course, when we tried this years ago for my kids they just slid downhill and wound up flat anyway. :eek:

7. frizzyrazzy

yes yes.. I agree.

8. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

There are no dumb thoughts :) I would totally hear you except that it happens in her bed, my bed, and at daycare when they are trying to put her down. She is allowed in our bed when she wants so she isn't using it as an excuse to get there.

9. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

This is actually something my doctor and I talked about (you are brilliant Lisa!). Apparently kids can be constipated and still go regularly so she may be extremely backed up but we wouldn't know it because the loose stuff still sneaks out.

Thanks for all the kind concern guys!

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Did they send her urine for culture

Dipping for leukocytes and nitrites does not totally rule out a UTI. Also some just dip for leukocytes but it is important to also dip for nitrites. (Bacteria that cause a UTI produce an enzyme that converts urinary nitrates to nitrites.)

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

The poor dear. That sounds rough. No advice but a friend's son had this issue when he was a toddler. He would get horribly, horribly constipated to the point where it was compacted. Part of the issue was he wouldn't have a bowel movement anywhere but home (even in diapers). He was just never comfortable enough with other people. Sorry I can't recall what treatment they used but if it is this ~ I know they were able to resolve it.

Good luck!

12. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

The culture hasn't come back yet...should get those results on Monday as well. The only thing the dip told us is she had sugar in her urine :rolleyes:. However, because this has been going on for some time, the doctor didn't think it was a UTI because she would have gotten sick pretty quick if it was lingering for this long.

13. frizzyrazzy

if it helps, if you google back pain in toddlers, you get thousands of people who all have similar stories, of similarly aged kids, most with absolutely no explanation. Maybe it's just growing pains?

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just sending well wishes. Poor baby.:(

15. SueM

SueM Banned

Any symptoms of Celiac Disease? Just mentioning it because when we were trying to figure out what was going on with my daughter I remember the docs commenting on how gassy she was (ultrasound)... You mentioned that "most of her organs were gassed out"... So just figured I would mention it... But that may be very common with/without Celiac.

16. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I've seen that thread and was somewhat comforted by it -- aside from the odd case of something serious, most went unresolved and I'm assuming cleared up. I can't even imagine this is growing pains because of the desperate screeching but great if it is because eventually she will stop growing :)

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am thinking severe constipation, but that should have been seen on a scan or a part of the bowel that has fallen into a gap and getts backed up in one area.

Maybe try some miralax in jusice or water for a little while and see is softening her bowel movements helps with the pain.

My dd was severely constipated after a stomach bug and Zofran. To the point of pain and vomitting because of constipation. An enima and miralax and overnight the pain wained and things got back on track.

Good Luck

18. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im sorry Shana:( I imagine you must be very worried. Im hoping its just some simple explanation for the pain. Has she fallen recently? before the back pain started? Does it hurt when you press on her back? The constipation idea sounds very plausible as it would hurt to lay on ones back if you were constipated severely

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  19. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

any update Shana?

20. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Well since you asked :p

Her urine came back with an infection. Since the sample came from one of those awful bag things you have to put in a diaper it may or may not have been contaminated. Regardless, the antibiotics she is on for her ear infection should clear that up.

Her xray showed that her spine looks normal. However, she looked somewhat "backed up" so for the next two weeks we are treating her as being constipated and if that doesn't relieve the pain then there will be a plan C but I'm not sure what that plan looks like.

Thanks for asking Kim :)