- advertisement -

Back Up Lantus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KatieSue, May 3, 2013.

1. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I just noticed last night that our back up Lantus is expired. In 3 years we've only needed it once (her PDM got lost/stolen) and then she was out of town and didn't have it with her. Plus I didn't' realize then that the basal would still work so we really didn't need it. Luckily that time she was with another T1 and just borrowed some till the new PDM came.

So I'm kind of thinking I don't really need to keep a back up. I can always call into a 24/hr pharmacy if I did. If she were going out of the country I definitely would but she's not.

Thoughts? It just seems like kind of a waste.

2. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I always keep a back up of everything because insurance pays for it. I too haven't used Lantus in a million years but with our luck if we didn't have it something would happen.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Before when we were 100% pumping out endo office would give us a sample vial at our anniversary visit.

4. dianas

dianas Approved members

I ask my endo for a sample insulin pen of Lantus or Levemir to keep in the fridge. They almost always have them and I like it because it's only 300 units vs a full prescription from the pharmacy.

5. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We've never needed it either. I make sure that I have the prescription on file with the 24 hr pharmacy and I renew that annually. I figured if we did, I could call it in and pick it up without really having an issue.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've been pumping 5 years now and have never kept a back-up of Lantus in the fridge. There are plenty of 24 hours pharmacies near us, so we could get one if we had to. Also, we have a spare Omnipod system, and soon will have a back-up tubed pump as well, and I'd much rather use either of them than go back to MDI.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I have it in the refrig and I feel guilty when I throw it out. If worse comes to worse and you don't have Lantus, you can just give hourly shots of the rapid. Not ideal but it works.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I would rather have it and not need it JMO. Especially for going away..

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to just wait for now until we go camping or on a big trip where getting it might be more problematic. That way the expiration date will be further out.