- advertisement -

Back to MDI due to OmniPod disaster

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

Ours have come from several different lot numbers. I called in the pods and PDM again today. I asked about our issues and (of course) was told that there were no documented problems and that there was nothing for us to worry about. They are replacing the PDM again. That makes three replacements in the last four months. I completely agree that the biggest lesson we've learned was that having a backup pump is a very good thing. Otherwise, we'd be bouncing between MDI and pumping every time it happened.

I am with you in hoping that these issues get resolved. That being said, I cannot ignore the fact that we are having so many problems and that we seem to not be alone. I'm also looking forward to the day when there are more tubeless pumps and more pumping options for all of us.

Good luck to all of us.

2. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

7 failed pods in 2 weeks , 2 failed during priming ,1 during 1st bolus ,1 failed communication error after 1 day , and 2 never worked right and he had high BS and keytones withing just 3 hrs of having it changed. 5 out of lot 30380 and 2 out of lot 30328. Unfortunately the rest of out shipment is 30380of which he has 1 on and 21 left out of that shipment so 5 have failed so far from that shipment and 5 have been good I'm not liking my odds so far. hmm 50/50 not liking these odds . Over the past we have only had maybe 3 pods fail each shipment. I definitely think there is an issue with this shipment.

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

Here's our update, such that it is...

After resetting the PDM and using a new batch of pods, we got one all the way through 3 days with no issues at all. We even got the extra 8 hours of use. We got most of 3 days out of the second one. I was hoping that the reset trick had worked.

We had an out-of-town family event over the weekend and put a new pod on Brendan Friday afternoon. That night, he rolled over while lying on an air mattress and that caused the pod to fail. We went back to MDI for the weekend. A few hours ago, my husband put a new pod on Brendan, who was willing to give it another try. It just failed.

I suppose we can take Insulet up on their offer to replace the PDM, but from others' experiences, I don't have a whole lot of confidence that it will resolve the problem.

Does anyone know when the Solo is supposed to be available? We really like a tubeless pump, but we can't keep putting our kid through this. :(

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry, Rella. I was hoping you were past this. :(

I think both the Solo and the MM patch pump are not due out until 2012.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Are all these failures from the same shipment or from multiple shipments?

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

Different shipments.

7. swellman

That's really unfortunate. I'm curious if you are using anything foreign on the skin other than alcohol wipes realizing, of course, if you are it's because it's necessary. I would be more than willing to send you a few of ours that have been flawless. We just received a new shipment and, of course, it wouldn't come from that one. If ours ended up failing I would be pretty comfortable assuming something was going crazy on your end - not assigning blame, of course, but only meaning it as a diagnostic. What insulin are you using? Are you keeping it at room temp after opening? I apologize if you've already answered that in this thread.

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Rella, has anything changed in your environment between your previous years of pod success and the time you started having issues?

(Brainstorming here)...Have you installed any CFL's (compact florescent lights) in the area you are activating your pods? CFL's from a company called lights of America have been known to cause interference of TV remote controls.

Is it possible that a new cellphone tower might have been installed near where you live? Do you live near any RF transmitting station, hospital, taxi-cab/bus depot or a location subject to 2-way radio transmissions? Do you live near a tall building with antennas on the roof?

The pod and PDM use a wireless signal to communicate with each other. A specific type of interference being picked up by either the PDM or pod could cause either device to get a signal it was not expecting and fail. Even though the 2 devices set up a one-to-one communication link, they are not immune to extraneous RF noise. Unfortunately RF interference is hard to trace without the appropriate equipment but it could be caused by something as simple as a cracked isolator on a high-tension overhead power transmission line.

Is there a radio ham operator nearby? That could also be a source of RF noise.

Can you activate the pods in a completely different place for a while and see if that makes a difference?

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

Nothing has changed that we're aware of. It worked extremely well the first year. When Brendan was first diagnosed in March of 2008, we heard so many reports of pod failures. We decided to stick with MDI, because we didn't want a tubed pump. But when we decided to start pumping during the summer of 2009, I rarely heard of pod issues. Insulet admitted that they had electrostatic issues in 2008 and they worked to fix the problem and it was resolved based on reports of users on this forum. This current issue reminds me of the same type of problem, where some people are still going along fine and others are running into clusters of problems like us.

BTW, we tried again this morning and put on a new pod. We were out walking and Brendan was just going along at a normal pace and it failed -- third in a row from a box in a new shipment. I can't tell you why they fail -- we've been in different places -- rec center, my parents' house, downtown, school, our house, etc. He's been lying in bed asleep, jumping around playing, sitting on a couch, bolusing during a couple failed pods, but not usually and has been in and out of range of the PDM. There's no pattern, except that more have failed while being touched than not. My husband has taken apart the pods to try to see if he can see anything wrong.

The insulin sits in a little cylinder that has a piston on one end and a membrane on the other -- where a tube connects to the cannula. In that membrane is a tiny metal ball. If pressure builds up, the membrane pushes out the little ball that then makes contact with two metal strips and we think that this creates a switch that shuts down the pump. My hubby speculates that if the housing isn't being molded properly, that the slightest jiggling or movement could cause that little ball to trigger a shut-off. It's just a theory, but since these issues seem to be happening all the sudden in lots with close numbers, as well as being patchy, it could be the issue. But who knows? That's why we wondered if they'd changed manufacturing facilities or if the one they're using wasn't staying on top of replacing molds when they should. Other people have reported PDMs that seem lesser quality and keep failing, which makes us wonder if something has changed with Insulet's production. All speculation, but we have no idea what could possibly be causing this. The system is pretty idiot-proof and we're doing the same exact things we have all along.

We didn't want to switch out PDMs, since others are having problems with the new ones. But we're not sure what else to try at this point, so I'll probably call and ask them to send a new one tomorrow.

10. swellman

Whoa whoa whoa .... hold on a minute. Do you know FOR A FACT that electromagnetic interference causes Pod failures? I think it's extremely important to nail this little tidbit down solid before we have people claiming their pods are getting killed by their lights.

11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We do know that static electricity can cause pod failures, so it is not much of a stretch to speculate that EMFs could cause a pod failure. These sort of things happen frequently with all kinds of wireless devices including cell phones and TV remotes. I've heard of pod failures when a child slides down a metal slide. Synthetic fabrics, such as fleece jackets or nylon shorts, could also be offenders. Unlike other devices, the pod is designed to shut down if there is any compromise in the system. In our society it would be hard to isolate all sources of interference. However, many of us rarely, if ever, have a pod failure.

12. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Didn't Insulet outsource the OmniPod production to a company called Flextronics in China? That wouldn't sit well with me tbqh.

13. joan

joan Approved members

I am sure this is in your responses but I don't have time to read through them. My son had problems with omnipod years ago, nothing technical but it kept falling off. I kept trying to make it work. The stress over the pump and the time and attention it required really turned my son off to pumps. He does well with shots and doesn't mind them but he still doesn't like pumps ( he has an animas in a drawer) and I think its because I was fixated on making it work.

14. JeremysDad

That's why I said I was brainstorming. Thinking aloud. Given the length of this thread and the fact that there has been no explanation why Rella's pods are failing, I was trying to think "outside the box". If Rella had confirmed that she had noticed a new cell tower or transmitter installation around the time she started having problems, we could carry this idea further in that direction but that apparently is not the case.

Oh, and I do know for a fact that in the commercial environment, CFL's from lights-of-America do interfere with remote control signals in the 42KHZ to 84KHZ range. I cannot confirm that in a residential environment. I do not even know if you can buy those light bulbs off the shelf at your local Home Depot. My DS does site changes right under a whole bunch of CFL's in our kitchen, as I'm sure many of us do.

15. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Rella, you may want to file a report at MedWatch.

16. buggle

buggle Approved members

Chuck, Insulet should be reporting all of these reported failures to the FDA.

I know we're not the only ones with these problems and OmniPod is trying to resolve it. Before I head out to work, I'm going to do a quick google check and see if other D forums have any info about these types of issues.

17. JeremysDad

Rella, I have an idea. Post a new thread and ask Jeff to make it a sticky. When you have a pod failure, enter the lot number of that box in that thread as well as the pod failure code so others could check whether or not they have the same lot number. We could then provide feedback in one convenient place on whether our pods of the same lot number might have also failed.

While the results would not be indicative of an actual batch of pods failing due to the small sampling if this group, it would be a way to compare results with other participants of the thread.

18. swellman

I'm sorry but static discharge is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than electromagnetic radiation interference and it's a huge stretch.

19. swellman

Ok, good - I just wanted it out there that any reference to EM "interference" is wildly speculative. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would be the last thing I would consider. Almost every one of us has EMF all around us in the form of WiFi, cell phone traffic, microwaves, fluorescent lights. pc's and every single electronic device in our homes and next door. Static can be a real beast on any device though.

If I were in her situation I would do a few things. I would start a pump off body and let it sit still on a table for three days. If it fails there then I would seriously consider a bad shipment (or shipments) - who knows if the FedEx delivery dude is throwing the boxes around like an airline employee? I would then ask for a pod or two from someone who is reporting zero problems with a shipment and try it again. If that one were to fail then I might just have to start considering the PDM although I can't imagine how that might be the problem unless the PDM software is corrupted and sending corrupted programming to the PDM. I guess it's plausible although I would have to assume it very unlikely. If a new PDM and a known good pod were to fail on the table then I would have to consider environmental conditions like EMF problems.

20. JeremysDad

Highly speculative indeed but given so many suggestions from folks in this thread and no single failure duplication in a controlled environment yet, that's all we can do, speculate.

EMF might not be the answer because Rella replied that they have done site changes in different locations away from her home. Static could be an issue since the pods do not come protected in a Faraday cage (anti-static bag) and if her CWD wears non-conductive clothing, it could induce a static discharge through the needle when it touches her body, again, purely speculative but certainly possible. It's getting colder now and homes are getting dryer so static becomes an issue.

Rella, do a site change while your CWD is grounding herself by touching an exposed metal electrical conduit (not a wire) or a water pipe. That should discharge any static buildup. You can go one step further if you wish. Empty an entire unopened, untouched box of pods in an anti-static bag and only open the bag to take a pod out after you are touching a metal pipe. PM me if you want me to send you some bags.

Seems extreme. It might be the answer (if static is the culprit)