- advertisement -

Back to MDI due to OmniPod disaster

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

I am praying that resetting the PDM does the trick...I have also been a been promoter of the Omnipod. Keep us posted...and good luck!!!

2. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Fingers crossed for you Rella! I really hope it works :)

3. Mom2henry

Mom2henry Approved members

Grrr. It sounds so frustrating and maddening-so sorry. Here I am reading all these thoughtful posts and under them all is an ad for Omni pod! Pretty sure they are not advertising, "Worthless Piece of Junk"!

Hope you get what you need and are back on track ASAP!

4. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Sorry I can't support the "Worthless Piece of Junk". It has kept my son healthy with no A1C's over 7 in 3 years...so I think it does something right.
    Even with my occasional alarms (we aren't having the same problems as some others) I am still a huge Omnipod fan. BUT...I definitely understand the frustration with those having problems. Hope everything works out...with or without the Omnipod.

5. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Rella,
    I am so sorry to hear about your latests frustration with the Omnipod. I truly hope everything settles down, and the Pods start working. There was a lot I loved with the Omnipod, too, but the sudden and constant alarms I was getting when I had started was just too much. Hoping to hear things get better soon!! Hope you and your family are staying warm in this 40 degree weather...wasn't it 75 this weekend? Sigh!

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is very interesting news, Rella and I hope it works! What I find frustrating is why that Insulet Customer Service doesn't have this information to pass on to customers when they call? Sending good luck vibes your way!!! :cwds:

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Rella, do you get a specific error code with the pod failures? It may not be mechanical disruption of the pod when it is struck, or hit, but static, or something else electrical. Static, or EMFs could explain the clusters of failures that people report without Insulet finding anything wrong with the pods (do they still make you return them?).

8. buggle

buggle Approved members

Most of the error codes have the same number, but they won't ever tell you what it means. Insulet only wants the unopened box back, not all the failed pods. It seems like they'd want to look at them, but they don't.

I don't know if rebooting the PDM makes sense. Could there be issues uploading the programs to the pods sometimes and not at other times?

There have been some communications errors at times when giving a bolus, but moving to a different part of the house, away from Wifi seems to make it work.

9. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

So true. Even though we have decided to make the change due to all of our recent problems...they are recent. 2 years of good A1Cs and not too many problems. Hopefully this isn't an "across the board" problem, because when the Omnipod works properly it is wonderful.

10. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

How often would you say that happens? I have to say, they would be extremely off-putting in a pump. I would hate to be going about my life, especially in the work place, and having that happen. Just how touchy are those OmniPods? :confused:

11. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Well, my daughter attends karate and cardioo kickboxing 4-5 days a week with contact sparring, and weapon handling with no problems. She also has a younger brother :rolleyes:. A weekly gym class and a weekly dog 4-H club where she might have a particular dog jump on her at random times and 1 who saw her pod and wanted to bite it(not our dog btw).
    IN all the years of being on the pod my daughter had 2 pods come off from touch. Her younger brother shoved her off of her bed and she scraped it right off the bed frame(thick roughened wood) and a young child(2 years old) who saw her pod and literally ripped it off of her.
    So I feel confident in saying it is not a touchy piece of equipment most of the times.

12. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I hope this works for you. Glad that you were able to get someone who seems like they know what they are talking about.
    Please keep us posted!

13. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

This makes me think:eek: During the time period that we were having pod failures, we were also having some trouble with the PDM. I believe that the batteries were not snug enough to keep the contact with the metal pieces in the pdm. The PDM would power on and off frequently. Since Omnipod has replaced the PDM, we haven't had a failure once. We've replaced the PDM numerous times, and I'm fairly confident that if we match up the times that we were experiencing trouble with the pods, it would correspond to the PDM acting up. So.. that was a long winded way of me saying... fingers crossed - resetting the pdm may work for you! Good luck!!

14. buggle

buggle Approved members

Brendan finally agreed to try a pod again. We reset the PDM and put on a pod from the latest shipment. Wish us luck.

We couldn't get the hardware reset to work. My husband ended up resetting the PDM through the software interface. Good thing I wrote down all the rates. I hope the OmniPod we love is back. I'll report in one way or the other.

The experimental pod my husband wore and abused finally gave it up and squealed when he beat on with with a metal tool while it was bolusing. :D Pretty impressive. :p

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Good Luck Rella.

16. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

The best of luck to Brendan, glad he is willing to try it.:cwds:

Your DH rocks!!!!!!!:):):):D

17. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. We've been happy OmniPod users for over two years. However, in the last 4 months, we have had nothing but issues. We've had upwards of 20 pods fail on priming or within the first 24 hours of wear. We've also had our PDM replaced twice.

I went to turn on the newest PDM today when it was time to put on a new pod and it is stuck on the screen that should appear when a strip is put into the port. The only problem is that there is not a strip in there. Removing the batteries didn't fix the problem. I'll be spending my morning tomorrow reporting 4 bad pods and yet another bad PDM. So far, I've been told that I must be using the wrong kind of batteries, and that I should be squeezing each pod before using it to see if it makes a "popping" sound. The last CS person I spoke to told me that pods that make a "popping" sound shouldn't be used.

We are on the fence about what to do moving forward. My daughter has never had any type of pump but the OmniPod and we're worried that the tubing might be a bother for her. But, having pods error at all hours of the day isn't exactly ideal either.

Best of luck to you. Here's hoping that Insulet can fix whatever the problem is and start delivering us a consistenly good product!

18. buggle

buggle Approved members

I'm really sorry that you're having so many issues. I love this pump, so I really want it to work. We've only had the new pod with the reset PDM going for a little over 24 hrs. But so far, so good. Your experience has made me think my hubby was right to keep the PDM we have. I can't believe how many headaches you're having.

I really wonder if they've changed specs, changed manufacturing facilities... something has to be different, since there are a number of experienced users having sudden, serious issues. I hope they get to the bottom of it and get it resolved. And I wish other pump companies would get tubeless pumps out, so we'd all have some options.

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

Have these all come from the same shipment or from different shipments? What were the lot numbers?

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I think you guys might have misunderstood what she meant?:cwds: She said she was pretty sure they weren't advertising a worthless piece of junk:cwds: