- advertisement -

Back to MDI due to OmniPod disaster

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I wonder if Insulet, or any other pump maker monitor's this group? Getting an earful over the phone from an upset user is a lot different then reading about your company's successes and failures based on comments and opinions from many users who have nothing to gain or lose by posting their stories here.

"How are we doing" is not about the feedback from customer service reps speaking to end users. How many end users have called Insulet to let them know what a great product they have? Probably very few. How many end users have called Insulet because of a pod failure? Probably most of us.

I subscribe to other forums and very often a high-end employee will answer questions about a posted issue. To me, that's a comforting thing, knowing that your complaint (and praise) is being read by upper management.

2. SueM

SueM Banned

One thing that I would wonder is if somehow your use of under bandages is doing something here? Did you change the kind of the bandages? Just thinking out loud. I know that you said you did it for a year with no issues... Maybe a slight change to the pods is causing this to be a problem now? Just trying to think of possibilities here because whatever is going on is obviously not right... (stating the obvious). To me, the quantity of failures that you are seeing suggests to me that it is more an issue with either a specific lot(s) problem, damage in transit problem, bandage problem, etc. etc... because if everyone who uses OmniPod was having the same amount of failures as you are seeing it seems to me that more people would be complaining and the customer service people would be more in tune to that situation. Although, I guess it's possible that the customer service people have to keep that on the down-low. :mad:

3. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I am so sorry you are dealing with this Rella. Hugs to you and Brendon!!!

4. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

Hi Rella,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are having all of these problems - how frustrating! We are currently using the Omnipod, but for a number of reasons, Julia is ready to switch pumps. Pod failure was not a main reason, as we've only had 1 shipment that gave us trouble. But none the less, we've decided to go to the Ping.

If you are looking to change pumps, they have an access program whereby you give them your PDM and pay $200 out of pocket for the new Ping. Animas assumes the warranty that remains on the Omnipod, or gives a 2 year warranty - whichever is greater.

I'm sorry for your troubles, and wanted you to know of an option that has worked out well for us so far.

Marie

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If anyone on CWD could have resolved this problem, it would be Rella. And obviously, based on the number of threads that have been posted of late, concerning pod issues, she isn't alone in dealing with this issue.

No matter the pump, we all eventually run into issues. Some big, some small, but admittedly, most take more than a week to show up.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I am sorry, Rella. I hope everything goes smoother from now on.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I remember when Dexcom users were very frustrated because some lot numbers seemed to have sensors that had problems and would always fail. Is it that sort of problem? Perhaps the reason why not everyone is having it?

I hope you can resolve it - I would definitely pursue something through your insurance and through the Pod people - they do owe you a working product.

8. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Not to make light of the subject but the Pod People comment got me giggling ;)

9. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

So sorry you are having so many pod problems right now. My son has been on the pod for 3 years in December and (knock on wood) I haven't seen any difference now than before with pod alarms. Two years ago I had a bunch
    (6-10) in one shipment and last shipment I probably had 3 alarms...but 2 of them came when his little brother swatted him in the behind where he was wearing the pod:)...not that a swat should caused an alarm. I had a pod alarm when they were sitting on my doorstep at arrival also.
    It is truly frustrating when they happen all at once:( I hope Insulet can work out any problems currently going on. Diabetes is frustrating enough without constant alarms!!! However...all pumps are technology and technology fails at times...regardless of the company or user. I have loved that unlike other pumps we have a backup PDM and pods on hand...if we ever have a problem....like when I cracked the screen when I dropped it on the floor...OOPS!!! We haven't once had to do shots (except for occasional high BS) since being on the pod. We have allergy issues but with tegaderm HP, a "whole" system and changing the pods every 2 days...his skin has been fine.
    AGAIN...I am banging every piece of wood near me!!!
    Best wishes on getting a new pump...I'm sure you can work it out with the insurance company.

10. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

omnipod occlusions...

I began a thread about this back in early September. Back then, it was before others were experiencing a pattern and some attributed it to user error and that it just couldn't be Omnipod's fault and Omnipod/Insulet should NOT be responsible for replacing the pods because it must be my fault. I am glad to see that others, with the same, unusual problems (for us, after one year of success we were having consistent failures even after I wrote initially about a few) - it should have pointed more toward Insulet than me (how do we all of a suddent lose our midas touch and begin messing up the whole pod insertion thing?

Yes, there is a problem and, from my experience, Insulet expressed that the problem must be mine. Interestingly enough, as time has progressed, others are seeing very much the same problem... and now it makes it all the more clear that the problem likely rests in Insulet's hands with some quality control element.

I hope you get satisfaction Rella. I was consistently told that it is me.

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

Insulet called me today. They are trying very hard to resolve the problem. They are offering to replace an unopened box of pods of the same lot that has given us the most grief -- though they won't admit there's an issue with that particular lot. They also were going to overnight a new PDM. When I updated my hubby, he didn't want to introduce a new PDM into the mix when he thinks ours is functioning fine. So, I called Insulet back and asked them to hold off. If we can get Brendan onboard (who is livid about the whole situation and wants to stick with MDI), then we will try the latest pod shipment and see if it works out better.

Sorry if I miss some of the comments, but to answer a few -- we've been using tough pads as underbandages for quite a while with no issues. We cut a slot where the cannula goes in and it works out fine. There's no pattern associated with underbandages.

mom2cjh said:

This is interesting and sort of fits a pattern we have seen. About half of the pods failed when they were touched or lightly tapped. Brendan just touched his arm to one on his leg and it failed. He tapped a few others lightly against something -- like leaned back against a padded leather couch with one on his arm and it failed. He tapped one on his arm very lightly on his bed frame and it failed. Some have failed right at or during insertion. And some have failed when he was walking, running or jumping. It seems like the slightest jarring or jiggling sets off the shut-down feature on some of them.

My husband's theory (if I get it right) is that whatever manufacturing facility they're outsourcing to may not be replacing the molds for the housing when they should to save money and that the result is inconsistency in the housing which can lead to triggering alarms when the pods are jiggled slightly. We feel like it's definitely something mechanical with the pods themselves.

I looked at Brendan's skin where pods have been attached and it looks fine, so there's no reaction where the cannula inserts. He is reacting to the CGM tape and we're now using tough pads under them too and it's getting better. But the pods themselves are ok as long as there's a tough pad under them. I got confused about which sites were causing issues.

I feel like companies really compromise on quality when they outsource to these giant overseas mass-production facilities -- they may be cheap, but it seems like there are always issues with their quality and consistency. I wish that the pump and CGM companies would manufacture their own medical devices or at least use a local facility where they can drop in for surprise quality control inspections. I bet the problems with infusion sets and the Dexcom sensors can all be traced back to less-than-stellar manufacturing. The designs all seem fine.

12. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Foreign manufacturers of FDA regulated drugs and devices are subject to the same inspections by the FDA as are US manufacturers. The shipping process probably holds more potential for damage and is less standardized.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hugs Rella, I hope things get better. Maybe they could send the new PDM w/o sending yours back for a short time in case it does have something to do with it? Then you could just send back the one you don't want:confused:

14. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Saw your comment to my comment (?!?) about the pods alarming when his brother swatted his behind with the pod on it. This happened within a couple days of each other....which was completely frustating:( I also made it clear to my 5 year old to please not hit his brother in the pod:cwds: HOWEVER...it is so strange that the two past weekends my son has played in over 8 soccer games...and with the falling, bumping, running, etc....not one single problem other than keeping his BS up even running a 40% decrease on his basal and feeding him juice and skittles at times. So it is bizarre that a tiny bump can sometimes cause an alarm.
    I completely agree with the problem of outsourcing and quality control. Unfortunately it is a huge problem in every industry...cheap labor/production costs can definitely affect the quality of the product.
    Best wishes to your family. I hope your son can move past the frustration and find a pump that works best for him:)

15. Marie4Julia

I find it interesting as well. The majority of pod failures for Julia have been when the pod is on her arm, and she brushes against a doorway, or when it's on her lower back and she lightly knocks it against the back of her chair. Now when it gets tapped on anything, she waits for the pods long screech of death:eek:

16. buggle

buggle Approved members

Is this something new for you? We never had these issues until recently. The first year, we had very, very few pod failures.

My crazy husband just filled a pod with water, put it on himself and is banging the crap out of it. :p Of course, this one is doing just fine (since it's not on our kid), even being bonked with a Swiss Army knife. It's definitely a patchy issue. The last two boxes of pods we've opened have had a high number of bad pods. But some of them do work fine. It's enough to drive a person crazy and I have no idea if we're going to be able to talk Brendan into trying out another one.

The first 3 pods out of this box all failed. The one my hubby is experimenting with now if the 4th from that box and so far, it's working fine no matter what he does to it.

17. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

About six months ago we were having problems with our pods only lasting a day and half and then the pod would alarm. It seem to be happening everytime she went out to jump on the trampoline. This went on for two weeks. We happened to be at a diabetes fucntion that had the rep attending. We told him what was happening and he said there was something wrong with our PDM and to call it in. We did and a new PDM was sent to us and the problem cleared up. If they are agreeing to send a new PDM I would give it a try.

18. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

We've had them error too from getting knocked. What I don't understand is ....Why can't there be some sort of restart/retry option? I would love that:cwds:

19. Marie4Julia

This shipment has been fine, and we are almost two boxes in. I noticed that the problem was more in the previous 2 shipments that we received, and even then it was very unpredictable. Some pods would last for 3 days, while others would alarm shortly after insertion or upon light impact. Any time there was a failure, it seemed that it was because it was hit by something. I don't get it at all.

During that time period, she took frequent breaks and would go back to MDI for a day or two - long enough to get tired of shots. We never had back to back failures in the same day, but we weren't always getting the full life out of the pod.

20. buggle

buggle Approved members

I just received a call from our local Insulet educator. I'm going to pass on her advice, hoping it will help others with issues. She said that whenever she sees a lot of pod failures, resetting the PDM almost always resolves it. If you're having issues, call CS and ask them how to reset it. My husband is off at work with the experimental pod that keeps on working, despite repeated abuse. :p So, we'll have to wait until he gets home to disconnect it and reset the PDM.

This Insulet educator sounds like she really knows what she's talking about. First, she's a parent of a type 1 kid. She's been a CDE for at least a decade and she sounds very knowledgeable. So, I'm really hopeful that resetting works. I love this pump and have been recommending it to everyone, so it has been really upsetting to have this many issues. I really hope this does the trick!