- advertisement -

Back to MDI due to OmniPod disaster

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Nov 9, 2010.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

So sorry you're having such a hard time.

Re what he needs for MDI:
    - for Lantus dose just give the sum of the basals over 24 hours;
    - for boluses, give the same as you would on the pump.

You can use the 500 Rule to calculate carb ratios (500/TDD = carb ratio). You can use the 1800 Rule to calculate correction factor (1800/TDD = CF)

You'll probably need to tweak a little, but that's where you would start.

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Rella, I'm so sorry. I can think of three factors to consider. 1. Mechanical failures - this, of course is unacceptable. 2. Adhesive reactions - it sounds like you were having a lot of problems along these lines, if there was more than superficial inflammation, this could lead to site failures. 3. Insulin related problems, a couple of people have posted about their allergies to Apidra, the reaction could easily look like an adhesive allergy. I know at one point you were using regular - any chance this is causing a reaction, or just gumming-up the pod?
    Okay, I thought of a fourth - the cannula. I know some pumpers can't use sets with teflon cannulas, maybe this is true for the Omnipod, too.
    With the adhesive problems your insurance might spring for a different pump. I would trial different infusion sets, if I were you.

3. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

So very sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Hope things get worked out quickly.:cwds:

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

Finally home after a long day.

We have adhesive problems and we use an under-bandage. He still gets sore, but we're living with it. The issue is similar to timnshann, who has been using the OmniPod for ages and had success until now. It's not like we woke up brain-damaged overnight and couldn't figure out how to use the thing. We had essentially no issues for the first year. We are having one pod failure after another. A kid can only take being stabbed so many times.

We put a brand new pod on last night after the previous one failed early. This morning, we were getting ready to leave and it failed. By then, we were running late. Brendan only goes to school one day a week and he had a special presentation today he didn't want to miss. So, his dad got out a new pod -- failed during priming. In the mean time, I call Insulet and talk to the guy while Brendan and my hubby are putting on a new pod. They get it primed, inject it and it starts the death squeal after about 2 minutes. Brendan bursts into tears and I'm so upset I can barely talk to the CS rep. He was very nice and understanding, but what can they do except read the script and take down the info? I had a stack of 9 pods that I needed to call about that have all failed in the last week or two. I just stopped calling, because I don't want replacements that will just fail. We had opened a new box last night and we were hoping that these would work, but every single one has failed. Yet, they say there's no issue.

I had to cut the call short, because once Brendan and Rob got the lantus injected, we had to go so Brendan didn't miss his entire day. I had to stay at school all day to give shots.

When I say that we'll have issues with MDI dosing, it's not that we don't know the rules. It's that this kid's TDD ranges from 7 units to up to nearly 30 units a day. I looked back over the last two weeks of basal he got through his pump -- from 5 units to 15 units. How on earth can you deal with that with MDI? That's why we changed to a pump in the first place. We have huge ranges in his basal programs and we just switch them on the fly. He's still making his own insulin, but totally sporadically and in unpredictable amounts. We'll either be correcting all night long or waking him up to treat lows if we can't change basal rates. He's been running high lately and we've had to go up to 1 unit/hour in temp bolus, only to be back to .15/hour the next night and having to suspend. So, I'm not looking forward to dealing this this.

Sorry I'm so frustrated. I am so, so tired of this and now I'm going to have to call Insulet again and try to deal with this. They have to know something is wrong. I know some people are going along like usual, but there seems to be a bunch of us who are having huge issues right now.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, Rella. I remember your issues with MDI very well. I don't even know what to say. :(

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear about this :( If you are interested in trying a different pump, I'm sure there is a way. If you rung the pump companies, I'd bet they'd try to help, they do, after all, want your business. Or speak to your Endo about writing a letter of medical necessity or getting a loaner.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Oh I'm sorry Rella! I know people have been having the same problems lately, with pods failing left and right. I have an unopened shipment I'm afraid to try now.

8. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I am sorry, too. If you want to try a tubed pump--your son's doctor should be able to document the medical necessity. Plus, some pump companies will give a person a longer "trial" period for returns--*good* field reps can pull a lot of the right strings;).

9. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Rella, I'm so sorry :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Rella, I'm really sorry.:( I want to say that I know you're really smart and you will figure something out, but from your posts I can see that you are in a situation that you can't possibly fix the way you would like too. It's so unfair. You shouldn't have to go back to MDI. It's not right that a child who was so very difficult to control on MDI now has to return to it.

11. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

9 pod failures in two weeks would send us over the edge too. There is definitely a problem. I am so sorry that it is so frustrating.

I have a LARGE supplies of pod and would be more then willing to send you some to see if my 'batch' would work for you. Let me know if you would like to try.

I almost wonder if the PDM is an issue?

Big hugs to Brendan! How did his presentation go????

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I agree with this. Given some letters and enough persistence, you can get most things covered

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Good luck!

13. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

I'm so sorry! I definitely feel your frustration. We've already had 3 errors this week. A couple weeks ago we had 3 in a 1 hour time period! I asked Molly if she wants to go on a dif. pump, but she doesn't want to have tubing again. We use to use an Insuflon catheter when Molly was on MDI. I highly recommend it. It makes MDI much easier IMO.
    http://www.autocontrol.com/diabetes_products/insuflon_catheter.htm

14. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I'm sorry you are having so many issues but here is what I do not understand. Why are there so many people who absolutely love the pod when you in particular are having so many problems? Why are your pods failing like crazy but others are not? Could it be something as simple as the fact that your FedEx delivery route might cause them to get bumped around or mishandled more than others? The myriad pod success stories in this forum has influenced many to choose this type of pump, including me.

Jeremy is a new pod user. He has 1 week under his belt. He has had failures already but certainly nothing like what you have experienced. Hopefully the poster who offered to send you a few of their pods might rule out the possibility of a rough handling issue. Perhaps ask Insulet to ship replacement pods a different way, UPS or the USPS for example. See if that makes a difference.

How frustrating this must be!!

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Rella isn't the only one with problems. It's pretty evident that Insulet is having some scattered quality issues right now.

16. buggle

buggle Approved members

Thanks, Wanda. Everyone has been so kind and helpful.

We have 5 boxes of pods, so we're flush with the useless things. I actually have 12 failed pods sitting here that I need to call in. There are more that I didn't keep, because they failed while we were out of the house and we tossed them.

I did ask the CS rep if it could be the PDM and he said no. My hubby has a theory, but I'll get it confused, because I'm really tired, so I'll bounce it off you guys tomorrow and see if it makes sense.

Brendan is back to giving himself shots, including lantus, like he never stopped. We'll do split dose lantus and he's having a lot of shots. He's realizing just how convenient the pump is.

17. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Perhaps that's why they have redesigned the pod, or at least addressed the issues people are complaining about!!

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

First and foremost I am a HUGE fan of the pod.

That being said we had one shipment that was horrible - I think 6 out of 6 randomly picked from 3 boxes because that's how I roll. I called and got a replacement.

If it were my first shipment I would have been very seriously upset and understandably so.

To the OP ... call them and get a full replacement. They work and they work really well. You may have received a damaged shipment ... I really don't know but I can tell you that they work and they work well. Yes, you may get a bad shipment but they are not all fraught with issues. I know several users and they are all happy. No technology is perfect and the onus is on the user to identify the issues and have the company replace the problem units.

19. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

I am so sorry for what you are going thought!

I have an personal reason to be also be upset - Ominipod is not yet available in my neck of the woods (Greece) and I was holding off on tethered pumping in anticipation of its arrival. Now I'm not so sure...

20. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I know what you are going through, because we went through the same thing with Minimed years ago when they tried to "improve" the Quick Sets. It was a miserable failure, but they kept blaming the users. They said we were all somehow inserting them incorrectly. Finally there was a recall, but not before many people ended up in DKA. I wanted to go back to shots, but my daughter didn't. It was such a terrible thing to go through, and at first they said that there was no widespread problem. I recall crying on the phone with a rep that was listening to these stories all day long.
    I would be insisting on speaking to someone higher up the chain over at Insulet. Get them to exchange all of the pods you have now. We have quite a few boxes ahead and now I am a bit concerned that there is a problem and they just don't know it yet because many people have some bad pods, but haven't yet used them. I would also try to get a replacement PDM, even if they don't think it could be a possibility. Make sure that you tell them that you are talking about this problem here too, and that others have been as well!