- advertisement -

Back from Tanzania!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by virgo39, Dec 1, 2014.

1. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

If anyone had told me four and a half years ago, when I was freaking out about traveling to Florida with DD, that we'd go to Africa in a few years, I wouldn't have believed them.

We are headed home, had an amazing time and were pretty well-prepared. As it turned out, the night after we arrived, DD was running really high. The next morning she threw up and had moderate ketones. A little nerve-wracking, but she had some Sprite (BG was on the lower end), got a new pod and the ketones cleared in an hour. For the next couple of days, BG seemed really "spiky", I wasn't sure what was going on (surprise!), but we changed I:C ratios. Next pod change, I used a newer cartridge of insulin, which, with the other changes, did the trick. Having the Dexcom was invaluable.

The things I wish I had brought: candy canes (as source of carbs when nauseous, would have saved hunting up a Sprite) and copy of sheet that translates ketone meter readings (was able to download it and is now saved electronically, but will also put in meter case).

We had no issues with air travel. I thought we might get some questions when DD wore her pod on her arm quite visibly on the way home.

Much more importantly:

We spent several wonderful days visiting my nephew at his schools in the Rift Valley. We did a one-day safari to the Ngorongoro Crater, a game drive in the Ndutu Forest, and more than two full days in the Serengeti. Absolutely amazing!

Thanks for the travel tips.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well done!

I think it's great when our D kids see that they can manage anywhere if they just plan well and pay attention. One of my favorite silly photos of our SA trip is me filling a cartridge in the game park hut :)

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

Neat! Sounds wonderful. :)

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

Congrats on a great trip! Africa is a very special place. The flight over is a rough one. I'm not sure my daughter could handle being stuck on a plane that long.

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I agree. I always find it difficult to get off the first long flight (10 hours) and onto another long one (7 hours). DD did not enjoy it, but did fine.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

hey my brother and his family might be moving to Tanzania!! They're in the process of becoming full time missionaries. They'll be moving to texas in January for 6 months to finish their training and then they're off the Africa for 4 years. One of the 2 locations they could possible go is Tanzania. The other is Guinea