- advertisement -

Babysitters?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Scoutjr, May 13, 2011.

1. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

What do you do if you and your spouse or significant other have to go out for a few hours? How do you find someone to handle insulin etc. or do you just avoid the issue? DH and I used to be pretty social, but since DS was diagnosed we haven't done anything. I know, I am being selfish, but just wondering what other people do.

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

check with your local JDRF, my guys get jobs through there.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I don't think you are being selfish at all! Do you have a family member that you can train? I think you can use a responsible teenager if you time it right. If you go out right after feeding your child yourself and giving her insulin then you would have a couple hours to get away before she possibly needed insulin again.

At first I would train my babysitter on the signs of a low and how to treat those and just stay out a short amount of time so the sitter doesn't have to do a shot. It is overwhelming if you try to train on everything all at once.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

We have one trained babysitter for ~K. She knows how to give shots by pen, knows what to do with the glucagon, and now knows how to use the pump for both correction and meal boluses. She also knows how to count carbs using the salter scale, the calorie king, and researching on her own. If she can't figure it out, she'll call or text us. We seldom ask her to care for ~K but it's nice to know that she's there.

Oh, we did train her ourselves but we have complete faith in her understanding. Before I left her with ~K I made her read the pink panther book and the Type 1 diabetes "manual" from our endo's office.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Babysitter

My husband and I wanted to go out to dinner a few Saturdays ago. I fed my ds dinner around 6:00, gave insulin for dinner (maybe a little less than normal so he wouldn't go low) and picked up babysitter around 6:45. My husband and I left right away and returned home before 10:00.

I felt okay doing that - he could only have drinks and no food. He typically doesn't have lows in the evening.

I just checked his blood sugar as soon as I got home and he was fine.

Of course, the babysitter could call me at any time.

Good luck! You need to get out!

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I trained a teenager to manage the diabetes. We tended to go out in the evening, after dinner. My son might eat a snack, but an injection wasn't usually required. All that was needed was a blood test.

7. taximom

taximom Approved members

Here's a website for babysitters just for kids w/ D.

Not sure if there is anyone in your area, but it might be worth a try.

http://www.safesittings.com/

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We are lucky enough to live near family who have been ready, willing and able to learn and help. Because they were family, we had lots of opportunity for "on-the-job" training and for them to observe us.

We started small, as one of the other posters mentioned, timing things so that the most likely thing needed would be to watch for low BG. As we all got more comfortable, we let others handle mealtimes (initially, we might even be involved in the carb-counting) and eventually overnight stays.

I wasn't able to find anyone in my area through safesittings, so we eventually hired a babysitter through an online babysitting website. Based on some information I got from a nursing student, I posted looking for someone who was a certified nursing assistant (CNA) or had equivalent experience to care for DD. I was told that CNAs often do BG checks and insulin injections.

We got a decent number of responses from babysitters who were either CNAs or had experience. The babysitter we hired was in a nursing program.

That said, I don't think nursing experience is really necessary--but it made me feel a lot better at first.

Do you have regular sitter? Is he/she willing to learn D care?

9. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

Thanks all, I checked safesittings and there isn't anyone in my area either. My regular sitter is willing to learn, I guess I am the one with the hangup!