- advertisement -

Babysitters in your area?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JamieTheTiger, Sep 21, 2008.

1. JamieTheTiger

JamieTheTiger Approved members

Are you able to find (non-family) babysitters in your area?

Thanks to this forum, I do know of a few resources to try to find babysitters for type 1 kids. My issue is that there is really no one in my area (Orange County, CA) signed up!

I've been in touch with local support groups, and they say that members have a hard time finding sitters. That makes me shake my head - definitely a need to be filled!

I really want to work on beefing up a babysitter network. I'm very lucky in that I do have family nearby and they are learning about diabetes in order to care for Emma, but they aren't always available.

Help me brainstorm! Is it that parents don't want to babysit another kid? Do we just not know of the resources out there? What would make you sign up? What about the diabetic teenages? Babysitting is a great way to make money!

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD is the diabetic babysitter. My SIL with a D 6 yr old practically cheered when my DD was dxd. Sad but true.

My SIL is starting a support group with the other Elementary school mom's. I guess I ought to let them all know she's willing to babysit. It's scary though. What about the liability? Or the stress on my DD?

It's difficult. I feel your frustration.

3. cmnordgren

cmnordgren Approved members

This is such a good question. The only thing I have found in my area is two facilities who take "medically fragile" children. It is run by nurses and LVN's. I have left my son with one facility twice and each time he was given too much insulin from nurses.....I have very litte family near by and they are unable to help. I would love to connect with others parents in my area with children who have d.

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

If I lived anywhere NEAR OC california, I'd offer to help you, but I'm clear across the country, so it really wouldn't work. Sorry:(

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Take info to a local highschool nurse and ask her to give it to her d students. Ask at a local college- nursing class? they would be willing to learn. Do you have a jdrf near you? Ask your endo if they would be willing to pass on your info to a teen that they see as responsible.

6. JamieTheTiger

JamieTheTiger Approved members

It's not just me I want a sitter for! I'm thinking in general, I keep hearing what a hard time families are having.

I am in contact with the local JDRF, and will be talking to the support groups around here. I would like to increase access everywhere, too :)

7. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I found a T1 18 year old through a local support group. She also goes to the local high school so had I called the nurse there, i would have found her there as well.

8. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

If you attend any support groups I would ask around and see if anyone wants to do a kid swap type of thing.
    Another idea is to try www.sittercity.com, or the boards at a college. Some college students who are in a nursing program, or other medical program like to pad their resume by babysitting for kids with special needs, and they are also willing to learn what is needed and do the care without a huge fear of needles getting in the way, or a inability to understand the math involved.
    If you find a sitter you like outside of family, I would just ask if it would be ok to pass along their name to other local families who have a child with D.

9. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

if anyone needs a babysitter in the orange county area, i'm totally available :)

HAHA
    yes, i love kids.
    and i have experience working with diabetic children.
    and am diabetic myself.