- advertisement -

Baby sitter's club

Discussion in 'Diabetes Book Club' started by Gwyn, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Has anyone seen "The Truth About Stacy". It is a baby-sitter's club book that has recently been remade into a graphic novel.

I just got a copy of the graphic novel to share with my daughter and was wondering what other people thought. Although I would have written it a bit differently (Stacy's parents are totally clueless!!!), I think it will be a good read for her.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I read the origninal a long time ago. Did they update it in 2008 diabetes care terms? Cool that it's a graphic novel. What did you think?

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I read it a little while ago as my 12 yr old brought it home. I didn't think it was bad at all.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My father checked it out to read with my then 10 year old brother right after I was diagnosed with diabetes. I think it is outdated but opened the door to meaningful conversation.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

What is the book about exactly? Thanks.

6. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I did enjoy the graphic novel and think that it will ring true for my daughter on many counts. I don't have the original, so I can't compare the differences with the original---maybe Ellen can chime in with that.

In the story, Stacy moves to a new town and meets the members of the Baby Sitters Club. They run into some competion from a rival club, but the BSC prevails in the end owing mostly to responsible nature of the girls.

The diabetes aspects of the book are mainly about her coping with her friends views toward her. She also has some issues with her parents, who want to take her to a doctor promising a "better method of treatment"--i.e. a quack. Stacy talks to an adult friend to help her navigate this and makes some good choices about how to broach the subject with her parents.

There is nothing in the way of what insulin/meters etc. she is using as diabetes is not the main thread of the story. There are some references to not being able to have sweets, which might not feel appropriate to some. But overall, not too bad considering.

I am interested to hear what other moms and kids think of this book.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

In the first version of the book, which I read about eight years before I was diagnosed and which was probably the first I ever heard about diabetes, it's a huge big deal that Stacey won't eat anything her new friends offer to her and they're wondering what's up with that, and then it turns out she's not allowed to have sugar (except in some emergencies later in the series where we find out she carries honey for emergencies). It's fairly clear that she's on NPH.

8. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Thanks LantusFiend! The new book has quite a few places where you see the other girls eating and Stacy isn't, but they are talking about other things--not food.

There is one passage where she is going on and on about a frozen candy bar and all the other girls are looking at her funny and she gets embarrassed and says something to the effect that she ate those before she was diagnosed. She also rushes out of a candy store emptyhanded after considering a purchase.

I think these present some good opportunities for me to talk with my DD about being careful about her diet, but not to exclude everything to the point of feeling left out. Stacy does go on to tell her best friend that she can have treats at the movie theather etc. but she gets a diet soda and no butter on her popcorn.

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I also read the original many years ago. It was terrible. Stacey wasn't allowed to eat anything with sugar in it, but could happily snack on pretzels and such whenever she liked :rolleyes: It was as if a candy bar would send her straight to the hospital. I really hope they've updated it.

10. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I felt this way too, but I don't think it's due to misinformation on the author's part, rather due to the age of the book.
    I actually read that Ann M. Martin (the author of the BSC series) had a cat with diabetes!

11. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I did not read the book, but I did see the movie, which was made in the 90's.
    In the movie, she wouldn't tell the boy that she liked that she had diabetes and she almost passes out on him! You don't see her check bg's or take insulin, just hear her say that she has diabetes!

12. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I read the original about five years ago. It wasn't to bad considering the age of the book.

There is another Baby Sitters Club book called "Stacy Vs. The Bad Girls" or something like that where she broke away from the Bab Sitters Club and her mom made her get a job. Stacy found a new group of friends that did some bad things. The climax was where Stacy and that group of friends go to a concert and one of the girls sneaks a flask of wine into t he concert.

I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone that wants to read it, so I will stop there.

13. sillyredhead

sillyredhead New Member

Mind you everyone, this book was originally written in 1986. At that time the gold standard was a sugar-free diet. We must keep this in mind when judging such things. Personally, I believe this is an excellent book because it brings diabetes into the lives of many children who would no have otherwise had any contact with it.

14. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I have this whole collection from when I was younger.. I do not even remember this, I will looking for that book tonight.. lol

15. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I knew they were old, but I didn't know they were that old. I don't really pay any attention to the copytihght date unless I have a reason to.