- advertisement -

baby sitter success

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaLibby, Jan 17, 2012.

1. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Nick's OT appointment got bumped around because of the holiday, and my normal arrangements for the other kids fell through I had no choice but to get a babysitter.
    Enter E: Energetic, sweet, friendly kid-loving 16 year old who lives up the street from us and has asked to baby sit several times. She claimed she could handle anything...that she's done babies, 11 year olds, late-nighters, puke, fighting, running away. And she charges $7/hour. :rolleyes: (this i'm cheap and I can do anything and I love kids speech is something I hear from her every few months...I guess she really wanted to baby sit my kids!)
    She needed no crash-course on asthma and food allergies because she also has asthma and a peanut/tree nut allergy, which made my E feel special. However, her only D experience is a Type 2 aunt. I had her get there half an hour early and gave her a quick rundown of how to test BG, spot and treat highs and lows, how to use glucagon, and when to call me. I left containers of snacks with carb counts. I also printed up a 1 page cheat sheet with times of when to have Ella test, signs of highs/lows and my cell number. I gave kids and baby sitter together a lay of the land regarding food, fighting, and tattling. The kids agreed. When I finished with my training, E took the paper, nodded and said "I got this. No problem."
    I got a text about 45 minutes in. "Ella feels really low. tested...58. She's drinking juice. Do I need to do anything else???" 20 minutes later I get another text. "she's 87. Is that okay?" I said yes.
    Other than that, as far as I know, kids and diabetes behaved well. When I came home after two and a half hours, everyone (E included) was laughing and playing, the plates from a snack were rinsed and in the sink, and Ella's BG was a beautiful 155. After she hugged and hi-fived everyone goodbye, and I'd paid her, Caleb said "I like her! Can she come back?"
    Oh...yes...yes she can. :D

2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Hooray for finding a good sitter!

3. Sarahbeara

Sarahbeara Approved members

This is also something I have been very afraid of since K was dx 1.5 years ago. We have never used anyone but family since then, and it has been rough. I may have to let some of my reservations go and hopefully someone will pop into my life as they did in yours!

4. lisac

lisac Approved members

I'm SOOOOO jealous of you;):)

5. MamaLibby

I'd share her if I could! She really is a sweetheart and she and Ella really bonded. :)
    I rarely use anyone but family/friends, but I'm gonna keep this one around. She told me she could handle anything and she did.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That sounds excellent! Enthusiasm is the most important thing I think - most people can deal with the D stuff if they want to enough! I wish I had someone near here who needed babysitting for their CWD... I babysit for another family, but I think I'd be well equipped to look after someone with D.

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

A success story on the flip side of this - Lauren had her first babysitting job this weekend (she's 13). Of course, she has to be in good shape the whole time in order to keep the little ones safe. All went well :).

8. MamaLibby

Great to hear! Ella would like to babysit, but she's only 10 so she's still a bit young. Glad it went well with Lauren!

9. sariana

sariana Approved members

You are braver then I am! We had a sitter, but when Caedence was diagnosed, we found it difficult to not only trust one, but also to find one that was ok with the diabetes. We never went out until recently. Her brother is 15 now and went through all of the training that we did, so we are slowly branching out. We make sure that one snack is given and we tend to only go out after dinner so she will only get snack unless she is low.

We usually will not go too far in case of emergency, but I will admit that it is nice to get away with my hubby :)

10. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

That's so awesome. Glad to hear it went well, and that she handled treating Ella's low without freaking out. It sounds like they all hit it off rather well!

Like Swimmom, we're on the flip side with N wanting to babysit as soon as she turns 12. She took the babysitting class through the American Red Cross, and the instructor was really impressed with how well she shared her D care and how she could relate it to caring for little ones throughout the day long class. Watching N with little kids, toddlers especially, I can already see that she's incredibly good with them. On New Years Eve she was a at her friends, and ended up being the only one of the five older kids to spend time with the very young kids at the party. Two families have called to say how she calmed, comforted and entertained their little ones, and wanted to know how soon she can sit. I'm the nervous one in this case, but I won't say yes until she's 12 and completely legal!!

11. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Congratulations! That's great news for everyone.

12. MamaLibby

any break can be nice :) and it helps that Ella is a little older (10), semi-independent with and very open about D.

Also, good luck to those kiddos and teens with D who are babysitting/will soon! that was my favorite thing to do when I was younger and I kept kids even when my own kiddos were little.

13. Smiley1361

Smiley1361 Approved members

After I was diagnosed my mom contacted my school nurse to see if she knew of any other diabetics in the district who would be willing to babysit. She found 2 diabetic high schoolers who were both confident and able to manage my diabetes while they went out. It definitely helped ease her nerves and enjoy the night out more.