- advertisement -

Baby its cold outside....and how do you keep your supplies from getting cold...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Dec 22, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

we were out for a good 2 hours today skating. Man it's a pain to check blood sugar in the cold for one and for two the meter stopped working as it got too cold! What do you carry your supplies in if you are doing lengthy outdoor stuff in the winter for all of those in the great white north?

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I get dh to put the insulin pen inside his coat. She wears a Spibelt with the meter in it. I try to keep those items close to the body for warmth.

We did have an issue one time when we'd been outside in the cold for an extended period of time, used the meter and it gave an incorrect reading. We learned from that experience. ;)

3. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

we use a little insulated lunch kit for his supplies and throw one of those hand warmers in it :)

4. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I was thinking an insulated bag would be good with either those handwarmers or a sock full of rice heated up in the microwave.

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I just keep things close to my body so they stay warm - in a jeans pocket or coat pocket. Some meters work better in the cold than others. In my experience, Accu-chek seems to get "temperature errors" more easily than the rest.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I did not think that the little slightly insulated compartment on the backpack would do the job well enough for anything longer than a short outing. Though on mild summer days we put the backpack in the shade.

As of yesterday I bought a thermos that was rated to keep hot beverages hot and cold beverages cold for up to 24 hours. I have no doubt that it will keep the insulin and meter the same temperature that they were when they went in for a very long time. Yes it is bulky but we don't plan to use it everyday - just when sledding at the park, etc.

7. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Inside coat pocket. Meaning there's a pocket inside my coat next to my chest that keeps things relatively warm with body heat.

8. skimom

skimom Approved members

for skiing, pump and meters are kept where the base layers are - never in an outside pocket of a ski jacket. We have skied in minus 30 ( yes that's right..) and things have been fine. As far as extra supplies, well we only carry the bare minimum at any time anyways so that is not an issue - if we are travelling in the car, we use an insulated cooler bag to keep supplies in - if it got too cold, they would be moved towards our pockets etc as insulin is good for one month once out of the fridge anyways.

9. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

We moved to Texas! Good luck

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

somebody shared the tip with me of precutting pieces of paper towels in small squares to cover over the tips of test strips so that the cold air doesn't get in there and give false lows, which I heard was common. And these paper towels second as a quick way to wipe away the bloody finger.
    Reyna at beta buddies blog has some great cold weather tips, too. You should check it out :)

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members