- advertisement -

[B]Still Not Growing Very Much[/B]

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Boys, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

Luke is 4.5 years old and was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago. At that time, he was in the 90th percentile for height and 40-50th for weight. Since then he has continued to drop down percentiles in height and is now in the 40th for height and 50th for weight. Does anyone have any possible ideas about why he's not really growing in height since his diagnosis? He also has only gained about one pound this year. We have had all the usual suspects tested like celiac, thyroid and even addison's disease (that one was not totally conclusive, but the only symptom that fits addison's is the lack of growth). His A1c's are in the range of 6.4 to 6.8 and have been pretty much since he was diagnosed. We are currently just waiting to see what happens with his growth (as per the endo), but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them!

Oops...Sorry for the bold in the title!

2. Andrew's Mom

Andrew's Mom Approved members

Have they checked for growth hormone problems. I know when Andrew has an appt and he has not grown they always check his Igf. My Andrew is 6 and just hit 40 pounds and is in the 10th % for height up from the 3rd%

Cathy

3. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

My 13 yo d is way below the 5th%ile for height. When dx 8 years ago she was at the 25%ile. Her A1c has always been less than 6.4. We have a new endo now who prescribed growth hormone. We started it last night. I am thankful for the new endo. Her problem is not diabetes related so it was ignored until now even though we kept asking about.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

My non-D son is on growth hormones. Lack of growth is an Endo issue. I would get a copy of his Growth chart from his Ped. and talk to the Endo about it...Just in case

5. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Growth

I agree with the others that posted about talking to the Endo. One other thought I have is about food intake. For the first year or so after DS was diagnosed we were extremely (okay..I admit overly) cautious about what he ate. I had it in my mind that lower carb and sugar-free foods meant less insulin and that would be better. His AC1 was good, his insulin requirements low but he was not growing much. He also was so burned out on what I was feeding him that he didn't like to eat much. (To this day he will not eat any more sugar free pudding or jello.) One day I was reading about other children with D who ate what they wanted and covered it with insulin. Could that work I wondered? Seemed like a radical idea to me. It was worth a try. We switched from Lantus and NPH and some Regular to Lantus and Humalog so we could cover snacks and meals better and let him eat. It meant frequent injections yet he never complained. He started growing and felt better. Years went by and other than one rapid weight decrease this summer his growth has been very steady. His A1Cs are okay, not as low but still not bad. Maybe he would have had some growth either way but I can tell you he was happier and it took much of the stress about food away. I look back and it makes me sad that I restricted food to the point it might not have provided him with the nutrition he needed that year and then I have to quit beating myself up because we all have to learn as we go. Anyway I am not saying the same is happening for you ..just some thoughts from our past.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I have no answer except that this was our experience with Ian. He's still growing but has gone from the 95% to the 50%. The endo did a lot of calculations on final height and he still falls squarely within the mid parental height range still, to me it seems weird that a child started out on one growth curve and instantly at DX changed. The endo is simply watching it in our case and we're tracking it.

We've had everything tested as well.

there are also some studies out there on height and Type 1. Here is one older study:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1627077/pdf/archdisch00773-0044.pdf
    but at least it will lead you to google for more recent studies. :)

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

our endo has mentioned that if matt doesnt watch his A1C, it could effect his growth and he could remain short, as she is looking at his 6'4" father.

when doing the old wives tale calculations of a childs height at a certain age and doing something to it, matt should be over 6' when full grown, and now... Im not so sure. My other son, is spot on, 6'2" and still growing. My daughter, tall as well... matt, seems to remain smallish. Much smaller then kenny was at age 11.

8. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

So is there a connection with diabetes and growth? Is there something we can read up on regarding it?

Em, was DX 1.5 years ago, she had a bit of a growth in height spurt this summer phew, but still hasn't gone through puberty, or started developing, she looks much younger than her age of 13.... and she is thin...:(

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

there are studies that show that many children with diabetes are on the higher end of the height scale when dx. they're not entirely sure why or how that comes into play with the dx.

10. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

Thanks for all the ideas! Our endo is the one that we've been discussing all of this with so he knows what's going on and right now we're just waiting to see if Luke stays with this growth pattern or continues dropping. I will ask about Igf and the possibility of growth hormone issues at the next endo if he still hasn't grown. As for the height issue possibly being diet related, Luke is such a great eater and we do not restrict his diet (except not to allow a ton of junk food). He eats an average of 150 grams of carbs per day, which I think is pretty substantial for a 4.5 year old.

FrizzyRazzy-I did see that study awhile back and it's certainly very interesting! I also feel a little uneasy about it though since my newest little girl is even higher on the growth charts than Luke was at her age :rolleyes:!! My middle child has always been 50th for height and weight.

11. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

My daughter was 2.5 also when she was dx. She was about 90% for height and 75th for weight, and had been on that curve since birth. Emily hardly grew at all for a year after dx, and dropped to below 50% for height and weight. She stayed on the same curve, but at 8 she started losing ground and the endo was a bit concerned. She's always had pretty good A1cs. We were in a wait and see period for the next six months, and started talking about doing more testing. Lo and behold, she grew an inch and gained a couple pounds at 8 years, 3 months! I think at that point, it put her at 38% for height and 26% for weight. We're due to go back to the endo next week and I'm curious to see if she's grown any more. She's still much smaller than anyone in her class, but she seems to be growing out of the new pants I bought her. One of her main problems in hindsight, was her 1st grade year in which she was sick about every 3 weeks and ended up getting her tonsils and adenoids taken out. 2nd grade seemed to be a holding pattern as far as recovering health and growth-wise. So far, this year seems to be much better. But I'm still holding my breath ;)

So, I'd trust your mommy instinct. Keep an eye on him and rule out any other factors that might impact his growth.

Good luck,
    Kelly

Emily 8--dx at 2.5, mult. food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4