- advertisement -

Average Grocery bill

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by JacksonsMom, Sep 22, 2008.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

About $1000 for food and household supplies for a family of 5 plus a small dog. We live in a small town and only have two very small locally owned stores, and things are very expensive here. They are the type of places that you can still charge your groceries to a store account and also have them delivered. Last month though, I spent $70 on very little and decided enough was enough because we were going to end up have a $1200 grocery bill and the thought of it made me sick. So we sat down and made a list of 35 meals and then went out of town to Walmart and bought the stuff to make the meals on the list. The only thing I didnt buy was beef because it is cheaper here and fresher too since they cut it in the store. I also will buy lunch meat, veggies and fruit, milk, and stuff that spoils here in town still. For 35 meals we spent $440 and I will probably spend another $300 here in town. Much better than the amounts Ive previously been spending. Kylee takes her lunch from home every day as do I(either makes a sandwich or takes leftovers), my husband takes leftovers and both boys buy their lunches at school. Weekends its pretty much fend for yourself for lunch. Not sure what the grocery game is, but I think Im going to check it out!

2. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

$800-$1000 a month for a family of 4!!!!!!!!! I thought I was doing something wrong too!

3. HockeyAndSoccerMomof4

HockeyAndSoccerMomof4 Approved members

Between 1,700 and 2,000 for a family of 6. (Not including any pets)

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well done! But can you do this without clipping coupons? I don't get any papers with good circulars so I don't see many coupons.:eek:

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

oooh! i wish I could stockpile Cookies, but I am a dessert fiend and they wouldn't last more than a few days. Me and Oreos mix way too well!

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

nope, you really do have to clip coupons or buy the coupons online (ebay..) or join a coupon train. Sometimes you can get q's online too for free.

I get 2 papers - our local paper and the boston paper. Both have q's. but I bought those papers anyway before. And then my mom gets the same papers and gives me her q's. So I never buy any q's.

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I spent 108 this week, 60 last week. I'm averaging about 80/week for 5 of us, including one in diapers. I have enough diapers to last till Feb at least, I think I paid about 1.50 a package. Wipes, only get them when they are on sale and I have a coupon so free, or almost free. Cleaning supplies, I get those only when they are under a buck, and I never buy generics---they are too expensive now:D

This week I got--
    milk
    salami
    fruit---grapes, apples, pluots
    2 loaves of bread
    canned veggies
    frozen veggies
    biscuits
    pizza dough
    refried beans
    6 bottles shampoo (.38 each)
    2 bottles body wash
    organic yogurt
    butter
    2 boxes muffin mix
    2 boxes cake mix
    green chiles
    frozen chix breasts
    v8 juice apple juice
    chips
    toilet paper (free, I got 2 pkgs)
    salad
    4 cans soup
    4 bags english muffins
    2 boxes toaster strudel
    waffles
    organic pancake mix (1.50)
    cheese
    chex mix (.50 each)
    mouthwash
    nail polish a whopping quarter

I know there is more. At the first store, I saved 97 bucks which was about 48%, the second store I saved 67%--16 bucks, but only spent 8 bucks

We have tons of snacks as you all know, we have to have the portioned ones for carb counts. I have shelves in my laundry room for this. I only buy on sale and with a coupon. I never, ever spend more than 1.50 for a box of granola bars or other snacks.

Even if you shop at Wally world, you can still use coupons. It takes longer to plan my shopping trip, but saving over 100/week is worth it for us right now.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yeah, I have to say as much as I hate Walmart (the darn mgr will not call me back about a JDRF walk donation!:mad:), there are just some items that are worth making the trip to there for. Fiber One pop tarts only $1.58/that's $0.75 less than the major grocery store.

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

That's great. I've tried to do this but it doesn't really help. The time to clip them never really outweighed the money we saved - the coupons always seems to be for things we don't get -- name brand where generics are available for less, or things like 30-packs of Raspberry-flavored Pledge that I won't ever need.

10. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

me too! Lol!

11. ilesha

ilesha Approved members

I am soooo happy someone asked this question. For a family of 5 I spend 250 a week usually. I thought I was spending way too much now I see that I'm about average.

I looked at that coupon game Michelle and I still don't get it. Does she give you the coupons to print out on that Grocery Game?

12. Denise

Denise Approved members

We spend about 150/200 a week... so I guess 800 max a month.

13. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Sometimes there are coupons available to print on the grocery game but all others come from Sunday paper.

14. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Quick tip I discovered here. You can by the Sunday paper on Monday for half the cost at one of our local grocery stores. (Kroger) So that is usually where I get the paper for coupons. I don't get the paper delivered to our house so I just swing by the store on Monday and grab one. (I do realize that I'm only saving $4 a month.)

15. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

For those interested in the Grocery Game, here's how it works.

You get a list each week of the stores in your area that you subscribe to. For me, it's Walgreens and Jewel. The GG people track all of the pricing trends over a 12 week cycle. The list tells you which items are at the absolute rock bottom price and also where to get coupons for them, thus making them even cheaper than their generic version. Most coupons come from the Sunday paper, but the list will tell you specifically where to get them.

Here's an example of what I got yesterday. SoyJoy bars (are gluten free so I really like them) -- they are normally $1.39 each. They were on sale for $1 each. I had 5 coupons for BOGO making them 50 cents each. I also had a coupon for $2 off of 10. So I ended up paying $3 for 10 bars, about .30 cents each instead of $1.39 each.

Another example -- Quaker Instant Oatmeal was on sale yesterday 2 boxes for $4. I had lots of coupons for $1 off a box. My final price was $1/box (Normally $4.39/box). I bought probably 15 boxes, which will last a long time! And it was way cheaper than the generic.

I mostly shop from my GGame lists and stockpile as much as I can. It took about 2 months to build up my stockpile. Now that we have about 30 boxes of cereal, I really don't need to buy more even if it's on sale. (BTW, I didn't pay more than $1 box for really good cereals, and even a lot of organic cereal)! So now that I have a ton of stuff, I can be very choosy about what to buy -- and that's how I can get away with spending way less on groceries. It takes some work, about 1 -2 hours a week, but for me it's totally worth it!

16. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

Per week, for Wife, 5 month old, and me (cats?) runs about 200 bucks, with most of the cost going to cheese, wine, and meat.

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's what I thought too - but honestly, I never buy stuff that I wouldn't have bought before - or junky raspberry flavored pledge. LOL. It really takes me about 10 min to go through the coupons and cut the ones I need. I know some people do clip every coupon and some people do buy stuff just because it's on sale. But I don't. I never ever ever (even if its free) buy stuff I don't need. That's just cluttering up my very small house
    And truly, there are very few generics I like or buy. I really only buy brand name things. I am a snob that way. but 9 times out of 10 I get the better brand name items for less than the generic.

my philosophy is that you can buy the same item for $5 or $2. Doesn't it make sense to only spend $2? or $1 or .50?

today, for instance I got Apple Cinnamon Cheerios. They were buy 5 for $10. The kids both eat them. Sarah eats them. Usually they are 4.29 for the big box and these were the smaller boxes but still the sale price was a deal. BUT it gets better. I had 2 coupons. 2off 3 and 1 off 2, so $3 off. so now 5 boxes for $7. But wait. I got a check out coupon good for $4.50 off a later purchase. So I spent 2.50 for 5 boxes of Apple Cinn Cheerios. .50 a box. How can you beat that???? You can't. I didn't buy anything I don't need. I didn't buy anything I wouldn't have bought. Sure, I wouldn't have bought 5 boxes at once but now I have 5 boxes on hand and I spent less $2.50 out of pocket today than I would have if I bought 1 box. I know it seems too good to be true but it really is just as it says. the stores and the manufacturers are giving away free money. Its up to us to find them. I know I sound like a crazy. But I never would have believed this was possible. And it took me all of about 2 minutes to get this savings. I did nothing but cut my coupons.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  18. lynn

lynn Approved members

I have $300 every two weeks. That feeds a family of nine and the animals: Three dogs, five cats, three goats, two rabbits, five ducks, a goose, and 13 chickens.
    We have a garden, I can my own fruit, tomatoes, salsa, and jam. We also pick berries in the summer for the freezer. I freeze as many veggies as I can from the garden as well. We have food allergies and sensitivies so I make almost everything from scratch, including bread. We also pretty much never eat out.

19. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

LOL!!! Does anyone need rasberry flavored pledge??? Oh, I guess if your kids are always licking the furniture they might enjoy that.

I also find that most coupons are not for things we need. But I do try use the ones for foods that we will eat (ie the Cheerios coupons).

20. hurrayupmom

hurrayupmom Approved members

I just went shopping on Sunday, YIKES $258, family of 4. And I have girls, who I know don't eat as much as teenage boys:D My dh wanted to know what I bought?????? It will only last about a week