- advertisement -

Autoimmune hepatitis?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by uscmedmom, Jan 11, 2011.

1. uscmedmom

uscmedmom Approved members

Recently we have been studying the liver at school and came upon this condition called autoimmune hepatitis. It is when your body attacks your liver cells. Our professor told us it usually occurs in peole with other autoimmune conditions such as hashimotos's thyroiditis and juvenile diabetes. Has anyone experienced this with their child or ever heard of it?
    The autoantibodies are ANA (antinuclear), SMA (smooth muscle antibody), and anti-LKM1. They also see it associated with the haplotype HLA DR4, which I believe is also associated with type 1. Thanks!

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Nobody on this forum has mentioned having it. CButler has a sister with it.

I learned about it when my liver enzymes were elevated and it was one of the possibilities under consideration. I'm half way convinced my mother has it because her liver enzymes have been elevated for the past fifteen years and she tests negative for Hepatitises A-G. People can have mild autoimmune hepatitis and that's what I think she has.

I figure that it hasn't come up because: the type of autoimmune hepatitis that's really more common in type 1s happens mostly to adults, and because it's really rare anyways.

3. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

My youngest sister has Autoimmune hepatitis DX' at 17 months old, she was placed on an adults dose of steroids which she is now off of, She is healthy now, autoimmune suppressed still, but is now a healthy 16 years old.
    She does not have T-1 but is also Adernaline deficient.
    They believe it was triggered by vacinations, and she was one of two I believe at the time in the province of N.S. under the care of the I.W.K childrens hospital

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

Yes, my sister, who is in her early 40's has had it for a few years. She does not have type 1 but has issues with hypoglycemia.

5. uscmedmom

uscmedmom Approved members

wow! i am suprised some of your family members have it. when i heard about the condition, all i could think was great another thing to worry about colton possibly developing. i am glad to hear your loved ones are doing well. thanks for the input!

6. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

honestly I wouldn`t worry, they screen my sister for D, and when I was Dx`d it was one of the things I asked(with initial dx being T1 before MODY screening), they said she had more chance of developing T1 then I had of developing Autoimmune hep. I`m not sure if their is a screening process or not.
    It is RARE considering back in the day she was two out of a entire province of Nova Scotia which is NOT that big, but still....

7. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

I have a very good friend who has it. She is on a regular dose of med for ir and takes prednisone when her enzymes get elevated. But she was just able to have a baby and is doing well.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

interesting!!
    I think I may have this. My enzymes went high when my first daughter was born and then returned to normal. Went up again after second daughter was born and have remained pretty elevated.