- advertisement -

Autoimmune doesn't mean comprised immune system

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

I don't think it is easy to qualify and clearly we all need a more precise definition to be able to answer this adequately.

According to the CDC website on the "immunocompromised page" http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-8/immunocompromised-traveler.aspx
    Diabetes falls under the category of "Chronic Conditions Associated with Limited Immune Deficits". If you look further down the page, they list vaccine forms and which individuals (such as those with full blown cases of HIV) should not receive them. Individuals with Diabetes can get all EXCEPT for the live flu vax.

Still, I don't think it is entirely appropriate to reprimand people for their use of the word when even the CDC feels that the label is appropriate, however mildly!

2. allisa

allisa Approved members

interesting post....I look forward to having some extra time to read all responses.

We happened to hear a blurb on TV today about how H1N1 vaccine is so hard to get, etc...and Ty asked me why he & his siblings were able to get it...what is "so wrong" with them that our doctor felt we were high risk....wasn't really sure how to answer him.

Ty has obvious reasons ( I guess/thought?)...the Diabetes and now his heart valve issue....but the other 2 ? no real reasons....doc just wanted to be sure the flu was out of our house entirely.

3. allisa

allisa Approved members

interesting ( to me)....but...Ty's scare we just had last week with Rheumatic Fever and all that....is also an auto-immune disease.....it is the body's overreaction to the strep antibodies...they start attacking the joints & the heart valve because they resemeble the strep bacteria ( very lay-men's terms, sorry...but...this is how it was explained to me !)

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So, we have another tag YAIMV.
    You make a very good point. The human body is a curious thing and definitely, "your autoimmnity may vary" from person to person.

5. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

It seems like my son has a crazy good immune system as well. When he was just about a year he got the flu and threw up once, and after we got home from hospital after his dx he threw up once. Otherwise, he's almost three and other than colds and whatnot, he's been in perfect health. It just seemed so crazy that we went from crazy healthy to diabetic even though I've come to understand that one has nothing todow it the other.

6. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Reese was always unusually healthy. When he entered pre-school I expected he would bring home lots of colds just as my daughter had. But, he never did...and I would sometimes think how strange it was, but I thought, well, great!

He ended up with a cancer of the immune system and an autoimmune disease. His immune system is definitely not normal. What exactly is going on with it, medical science cannot yet answer. But, we know enough to be cautious and to be aware that his immune system is prone to mess things up.

7. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

You know what I am noticing that too! I was just going over her sick history. When she was 1 month she was hospitalized for a few days with rsv virus, and had issues through her first year of life with getting the sniffles and not being able to breath and being on a neb. When she was diagnosed the first1 1/2 years she had the rotovirus (she was on shots, and very uncontrolledthe dr we had was no help). When we switched dr's 3 to 4 years ago he was strict with us and she got a pump 3 years ago. She has gotten a little sniffle or two but nothing to major (knock on wood). She has been getting strep a couple time this year. But she eats better and healther then any of us. She loves milk, fruits and yogerts. She washes her hands like crazy.

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE don't get any facts from EZine - that site is written by people based on their opinion and not on any facts at all! I have NEVER seen a factually basic ezine article...the authors they hire do not need any previous writing experience, nor do they have to prove themselves right. They just go on a spew...it is the WORST site ever!

With that said, I DO think some kids get sick way more often then others. However, my D kid is much less likely to get sick, and she bounces back much more quickly. The flu that put me and her sister under for 2 weeks, she was over in 3 days.

Also, prior to being a T1, she was no like this. If anything, she was my always sick child...I swear, I could write a book about it.

9. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

Greg's doctor composed a letter today that will allow him to be vaccinated with the county on November 6th, even though he is school age and his school will be offering the vaccine. (We recently found out that, if you attend school, you can only be vaccinated with your school, and not with the county on the 6th.) The letter states the following:

"The above patient is followed in our practice. He is an insulin dependent diabetic and therefore is considered immunocompromised. We deem it critical and necessary that he receive the H1N1 flu shot as soon as possible."

IMMUNOCOMPROMISED!!!

This is from a Children's Hospital doctor. No offense to anyone, but, coming directly from his DOCTOR, a doctor who works at the widely recognized and highly acclaimed Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, I'm going to go with what she said. He has a compromised immune system. Just like I said.

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm sorry that your doctor used that term because based on the definition of immunocompromised, our children are now: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/immunocompromised

They have an auto-immune condition. Some T1 diabetics may have an immune system that is more susceptible to catching diseases, just like non-T1s. but based on the definition of immunocompromised, they are not

11. KelliTwins

And I'm sorry you think you know more than a Children's Hospital doctor. You're so worried about conveying the wrong message to the new members of this forum. How about the message of "listen to your doctor before a website forum member"? That's a pretty important message.
    Again, I stand by what my doctor said.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

She's not conveying the wrong message. Autoimmune is NOT the same as immunocompromised. It's just not. Some people with autoimmune diseases MAY be immunocompromised, but others are not. My son is not. Nancy's daughter is not.

Again, you're being way too sensitive about this. Your son is T1 and immunocompromised. Fine. But not all T1s are, and that's just a fact.

13. Nancy in VA

Well. If you read the article I posted today from MY doctor at a Children's Hospital, she says the exact opposite. I am posting this for exactly the reason you say - so new members who might be freaked out about everything that is swirling around might actually take a deep breath

14. KelliTwins

It says "our children"..."our children don't have a compromised immune system". Yes, they do.
    It's not being sensitive. It's a fact...this site has gotten ridiculous with people constantly picking apart what others say. I posted about MY son. I didn't ask for a whole thread to be created to "set the record straight". I think that the bottom like is that some people make themselves feel better criticizing others. And, from the amount of emails I've received in support of what I said, many other people agree with me.

15. hawkeyegirl

No one would have known that this thread was started in response to your OT thread if you wouldn't have called it to everyone's attention. :cwds:

I am posting about MY child, and he is not immunocompromised. Can you not see that it is as ridiculous for you to insist that he is as it would be for me to insist that your child is not?

Are you saying that no one should ever correct another poster when they are wrong? That we should just ignore things that we might not agree with or want to discuss further? If you're going to be that sensitive about being questioned, you might want to think more carefully about what you post. This is not nitpicking. Autoimmune is not the same thing as immunocompromised. They have two different definitions, no matter how much you argue that they don't. Can there be overlap? Sure. But that's not what you're saying, and you're wrong.

16. KelliTwins

You just said "correct what was wrong". It wasn't wrong, therefore didn't need correction. I asked for suggestions in getting the H1N1 vaccine. I don't need a refresher course about diabetes. I live it every day, thank you very much. The point is that many people feel attacked and criticized on this board, and it's stopping them from participating actively. Maybe if it was less like a highschool clique and more of a support network, more people would benefit.

17. Nancy in VA

Thought I'd post the link here for those who didn't see the other thread:

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/651280/92427/redux-legends

A quote from the article

18. hawkeyegirl

I think what benefits people the most is correct information. I've seen a lot of people in this thread say that this was a good topic of conversation, and I've seen exactly one person (you) get extremely huffy and defensive about it. Probably because you're the only one insisting that autoimmune is the same thing as immunocompromised.

Are you honestly saying that someone with psoriasis or eczema is immunocompromised?

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

wait, aren't you picking apart what Nancy posted?? You're doing what you're accusing others of doing.

I'm so lost. Truthfully, had you not made a big deal I never would have known that you posted a thread similar.. I think the only one making a big deal here is you.

20. KelliTwins

Of course you do.:rolleyes: Clique, clique, clique.
    I'm not wasting any more of my energy on this. It's obviously pointless.