- advertisement -

Attention Type 1 Parents in Ontario - Petition for Provincial funding for CGM's

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sprocket, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

I thought of posting this on the Canadian board, but there isn't much action over there.

The Ontario government is preparing to re-evaluate funding for CGM's. The Assistive Devices Program covers pumps and supplies, but not CGM's, and many of us would really like to see that change.
    Our local MPP, Steve Clark supports this and has created a petition that he will present at the House in December.

http://www.steveclarkmpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Petition_Continuous_Glucose_Monitors.pdf

To support this, please print the petition and collect signatures. Original signatures on the petition are asked to be mailed to his office by November 25th so that he may present them and make the case in early December.

Let's get this funded!

2. samson

samson Approved members

Seems like a worthy goal, wish i was in Canada.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

You mean you can't just choose an insurance company that covers cgm's - glad I'm not in canada. :smile:

Humorous snarkiness aside while one SHOULD be able to just choose an insurance company that provides the services one wants even here where we have insurance provided by one's employer most of the time unless you are willing to change jobs it isn't a choice either. The goal should be to get to the point where we all have real choices. If congress would butt out then we would probably have choice of insurance company and not be stuck with whatever your employer picked.

I wish you all the best with your petition. Some insurance companies and governments may see cgm's as optional but the value is so high it should just be an expected part of what is covered.

4. Sprocket

The Assistive Devices Program in Ontario covers the cost of the pump plus related supplies up to $2400/yr. However, they have not yet approved CGM funding. Hopefully this petition will help push things through. My daughter has no desire for a pump and has great control using MDI. Those of us who are self employed or don't have good benefits from an employer have no coverage for CGM's. Now that we have had a CGM for almost a year, I can't imagine being without it - even for a few hours. It's a total game changer for us.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Ali

Ali Approved members

They do not consider a CGMS a related supply? So if you do not pump you could not get a 2400 credit a year towards supplies, i.e. a CGMS? I am sorry if

they are breaking it out that way. I am a 40 plus year T1 and if I had to chose I would go with a CGMS first and then whatever I could afford.

6. Sprocket

No, it's very silly. To me they should be covering - in order of importance #1 CGM and #2 pump. For some people, I am sure pumping makes for better control and management. Not so for many (one of which is my daughter). She has excellent control on MDI and has no interest in a pump. So, for those of us who choose not to pump, no funding. The animas pump that has the CGM built in - I believe is up to the individual to purchase the sensors and transmitters for the CGM portion. I believe the ADP program covers pump supplies only - nothing to do with CGM's. I am definitely hoping this changes.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thanks, Sprocket! Will do!

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think I am missing the humorous snarkiness here (I must just be tired--sorry!). We have employer-funded insurance here, too, that covers what the government does not. As in the US, some people's plans cover CGMs, while other people's plans do not. The petition aims to add CGMs to the government-funded program, which is great but a bit behind the times technologically, so that everyone has access to it.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Two pages signed and sent in. Let's hope Canada Post gets them there in time!

10. Sprocket

Excellent. Our clinic emailed it to all patients, so hopefully there are lots of petitions rolling in by mail. Finger's crossed!