- advertisement -

At Wit's End - Mio Site won't stay attached for 11 yr old Travel Soccer Player

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Curado Kev, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Curado Kev

Curado Kev New Member

Well this is a great site and I don't post until we have exhausted all things including searching the site.

So here goes, my daughter has been a MDI for 5 years and we switched to the pump (Medtronic 530g) in May. Well we have been battling sites issues with them coming off during play and I read all the tips on here. I can't believe we can't get this to work, because everyone seems to have the fixes or they don't post when they give up. My daughter says she wants to go back to MDI but I'd rather not have that because her BS is awesome on the pump.

Here's what we've tried using IV skin preps all the time:

1) Site only
    2) Tegaderm and then site with Hypa fix over that.
    3) Tegaderm and then site with Hypa fix and then tegaderm over that.

None of this works ! Any other magical combination ? Duct Tape ? Super glue ? We have tried multiple times in multiple different ways. I think you get the drift - What is the magical combination ?

Finally, the pump is always disconnected during practice and games so tubing isn't pulling on it.

Thanks Kev

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter lost sites left and right when she first started pumping too. It's so frustrating! I know a lot of people like skin tac, so you could try that (my daughter had an almost an instant skin reaction to it, so it was a no go for us). We've found great success with Opsite Flexifix - we just put it over every pump site and every dexcom site from the beginning. She changed infusion sets and the new set she uses has a completely different adhesive, but I swear, those beginning days with sometimes multiple site changes a day won't even allow us to try using just the set adhesive. It's OK, a roll of tape lasts a long time even with both pump sites and dexcom sites.

3. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

I was going to suggest SkinTac as well. It's so sticky. My daughter didn't react to it, but did seem to get a rash from the adhesive dissolver we used to take it off. We now use Vaseline to try and soak sites off when we use SkinTac.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

We use Benzoin compound. A good drug store will have it, probably behind the counter. You can put several coats of it on. About $6.00 for a bottle that will last years. Cheap and sticky!

5. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

My nine year old son uses the Sure-T sites. We use the IV-3000 square patches for the site itself, and the C shaped IV-3000 bandage for the tether. The Sure-T site uses a needle instead of the plastic cannula. Our team recommends this site for pediatric patients.

6. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

We use Sure-T sites with Hypafix on my VERY active son and have never had a site pull out, even through gymnastics and other activities.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Could you try a different set? We like quick sets. Seems weird but it might help.

Also summer could be a culprit. Extra sweat is hard on sites. You may find the problem goes away when it gets cooler. Or skin chemistry...something will work great for one and not well at all for someone else.

I second skin tac or something like it. It helps us a lot. We just use skin tac, site, then Hypafix tape over. If you go to a medical supply store they might be able to show you different things. Then you can find it cheaper on amazon. ;)

Tegaderm seems to roll more than Hypafix for us.

Good luck!

9. Curado Kev

Curado Kev New Member

Thanks everyone - And of course, Daughter tried Hypafix and doesn't like it. We haven't used Skin Tac, so that's an option. A different set maybe an option if all else fails. So it sounds like more trial and error....Thanks !