- advertisement -

At what age should our children be held responsible?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Oct 24, 2007.

1. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I think hand washing or using an alcohol swab is a reasonable expectation.

I also think that teaching your child to participate in and even question treatment is a good thing. He can learn to problem solve - "Hmmm.. I don't feel high, no reason I should be high, maybe I have something on my finger. I'll wash and test again to see if I get the same #." Could be one of those good teaching moments :->.

I want my dd to question it if something doesn't seem right to her. She will call me if she thinks the pump wants to give too much insulin or whatever. Sometimes she's wrong, but I want her to be thinking and participating in the d management.

Re: nighttime checks - I do them and probably will for many years to come :-<

2. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

This is my peeve w/ Trey. I know the nurses have way to much to do, to remember to tell him to wash his hands. If hes running high the 1st thing I ask him is did you wash. (Hes 8 years old, I gently fuss @ him when he forgets)

Our 2 nurses have 1200 elementary students, they have 7 D kids. They do remind him, but every once in awhile it happens that they don't . They are always apologize. I totally understand they get VERY busy in that office.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

What if these kids that "forget" (and that's in quotes because we all know that 10 year olds conveniently forget a lot of things) have a little "Credit card" sized checklist. It can start with wash you hands and have steps such as: check sugar, take x carbs if low, treat if high, call mom with #, etc. Then, a child that "can" be more independent can use the checklist. Then the nurse can just see that they did the steps and "question" them if they feel they didn't. I know checklists help ME remember to do things.

4. 3js

3js Approved members

caspi and nowimscrappin,

I asked a similiar question, and it was given to me. It didn`t help with school much, but it set my mind at ease that we were going at a reasonable pace for our son:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Actually that was me. I'll post the chart again below my message, it is the same one from the Pink Panther link previously posted. I will say that I think it is totally based upon the individual. My daughter is also a hard one to get to wash her hands before testing, primarily because the school soap dries them out so much and we live in an insanely dry climate already. But, when it comes to things like carb counting and bolusing and stuff that is a much bigger deal, she is like a superstar. She is very responsible about the stuff that I ultimately want her to be really responsible for. Do I still remind her to wash her hands? Absolutely. I don't think it is the nurse's job to remind her. But I know sometimes that's an inevitability. So in answer to caspi's question, I think that you handled that pretty much the way I would have, I think Cameron may need to be reminded about this particular aspect of his care. Nuf said. here's the chart.

[​IMG]

6. 3js

3js Approved members

Mamabelle, you gave me that link:)

I always put alcohol wipes in his testing kit (I know they are not great) and he actually uses them, as it`s so convenient.

We are still struggling with the whole responsibility thing too. You want them to GET how important everything is, without burdening them. It`s hard.:cwds:

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

That's pretty much Cameron - the carb counting at least - and I guess that's why sometimes I just shake my head at the little stuff that he forgets!:rolleyes:

Oh, and Heidi, I've been meaning to tell you THANKS for putting a pix of Sam back up!!!

8. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

You could try doing an experiment with Cameron to show him how important washing his hands before testing really is. Here is my idea:
    Have him wash his hands then test and record(maybe twice)
    put syrup on his hands then test and record
    pur orange juice on his hands then test and record
    and whatever other things you could think of
    have him look at the result and ask if he notices any sort of pattern or anything. If he doesnt then point it out to him that when he washed his hands the number was much lower.

RE: NIGHT TESTING I'm almost 17 and I just starting testing myself during the night a year or 2 ago. I don't think a 13 year old should be responsible for this yet, maybe in by the time he is 15 he should start doing his own night checks. I realized that I was doing everything except this and would need to be able to test during the night when I'm at college and this is my D not my parents yes they're there to support me, but I'm the one who is going to have to continue to live with it and manage it and I might as well start learning while I'm with my parents. So I started setting an alarm and testing during the night if I had a strange day, was low or high before bed, or changed my set before bed. I now test at 3:30 every night and usually will wake up without the alarm, but I still set it.

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

Are you asking more of a broad question than just washing before testing? More like, "When should our kids be responsible for the "no-brainer" things?" Things like washing hands before testing, or thinking about what they are putting into their mouths?
    It is a tough thing. I bet a lot of it boils down to parenting styles, and how they view D. There seems to be two basic ways that parents view d care. 1) They don't want to burden their kids and cause burnout and rebellion. 2) They think the kids should take on as much as possible so they will be ready to take care of themselves when necessary.
    I realize that sounds VERY black and white and there are many shades of grey.
    My opinion is that we need to be students of our kids and handle for them what they can't. I also believe there comes a time to question them when they haven't followed what they know to be the proper thing.
    Lynn
    P.S. Remember this is coming from a mother of a four year old who never is away from me. You parents with kids in school and day care and going to dad's house for the weekend have it tough.

10. melaniej

melaniej Approved members

im hoping mine will live nearby im planning on doing them until his wife can take over

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, I think 9 year old boys can barely remember to tie their shoes and zip their pants;) I would have just reminded him, then asked the nurse to help him remember:D

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

YEA! For your parents for not pushing you:D

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

That's what I did do! ;) The main point of this post was that although I do not think it was the nurses fault, she felt very bad about it and I know that a lot of parents would have blamed the nurse for not reminding him to wash his hands. I think some parents have a tendency to want to place blame on an adult instead of looking at the big picture - in this instance that hand washing should be second nature at this point. :)

14. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

me too! :D