- advertisement -

At what age do you leave your D-teens alone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kittycatgirl, Oct 27, 2006.

1. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

As my daughter with diabetes grows into her teens, her friends are starting to be left alone at home or starting to babysit. At what point and for how long are you letting your D-teens stay home by themselves? Are you letting them babysit their younger syblings?

"They" say let them by teens and I know at some point they will be driving and off to college but how and when do you start?
    Just needed some advice.
    Thanks,
    Diana

2. Lys

Lys Approved members

Hello
    My daughter is 11, she has had D for a year...
    She stays alone at home all morning since january.... and she's doing pretty well.
    Obviously.... I'm always nervous... i phone her twice or three times a day, and check what she did.. if she had her insulin, her food... ect.

Lys

3. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Thomas has had D for 3 years (a week before his 10th birthday). He started staying alone for an hour or less in the mornings when he started middle school, so 12. He stays home now if I go shopping or run errands.
    In Dec. when my husband and I go to my work Christmas party he and his sister (15) will be home for a couple hours. Now this is when I will really worry! But I know he is fine. He is very independant.

4. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

Alexandra (12, dx 9/01) has been staying at home for short periods since she was about ten. Now she and my 8-year old daughter are okay at home alone together for a couple of hours at a time; I usually leave a movie or game or other activity to keep them engaged. I never leave them both with Dave (15, dx 1/06) because that's a recipe for "war", but any combination of two seems to work. I or DH always are always available by cell phone; last night when I went to pick up DH, I had to tell Alex (by phone) that it was *not* okay to start the wood stove in my absence!

Deborah

5. Barry

Barry Approved members

I wish leaving him at the house was my worry. Mine is fishing on a 20ft boat, on the ocean with a 12 and 13 year old (by themselves) as I type.....will not be back til dark.

6. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

My son is 11 now and diagnosed a year ago. He is in middle school and does well with about 1-2 hours by himself. He is a computer freak and IM freak, so hook him up to is ipod and computer and pre-much he zones out for any length of time. I call on the cell phone every 30 minutes or so just to make sure he is doing okay. Not allowed to go outside and play with other kids while I am not around. He is going to a Halloween party tonight from 7-10pm. We will drop him off, go have dinner out and then go pick him back up. Cell phones will be turned on at both ends if he needs anything. He is taking his Humalog pen and BG monitor, but I think I will wait until we get him home for his nightly Lantus! No sense him poking himself more than he need to at the party. :D

7. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Thomas would love to do that!! I would be nervous and my husband would be a WRECK!!!! He worries a little more than I do.

8. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

My son 13 dx 3 yrs ago hasn't had any issues staying home alone. He started doing it prior to D and still does it. I always have a cell phone and do check on him or the other kids often.

9. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

my parents started leaving me home alone about 6 months prior to me being diagnosed, and they still leave me home alone...the only times ive ever been left home all day is when they went to Epcot a week or so ago, and occasionally when there work schedules coflict with each other and they both have to work the same day...and then when my dad works 7 AM to 7 PM every thursday and my mom works 4 PM to 12 AM on that thursday, so im left home for about 3 hours or so...and then usually when im left home alone, my grandma will take me out to dinner or lunch just so im not couped up in the house all day...

10. Barry

Barry Approved members

Your not far away, come on down!

11. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

I don't know that I agree. My son is twelve and diagnosed a year ago. We had an incident where he was staggering to the kitchen to check his bg not too long ago. This is the part I worry about. He doesn't seem to pick up on the highs and lows until he's either on a downward spiral fast or really high.

Do your kids recognize these quickly? What are some tips that you have? I know that Ty is mad at me for not leaving him home alone but I don't feel it's that time yet.

Tami

12. Barry

Barry Approved members

Alex doesn't notice his shirts on backwards much less his sugar is high....it's going to be a ride!

13. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I have noticed that it depends on how well a child can take care of themself. If that is for a D child, then that would include D care. Maybe when he can pick up on his B/G better, and know when he feels high or low he needs to test. That being said, if he doesn't show signs when one way, or the other, or he doesn't feel them, someday he will be an adult, and be alone on his own. Maybe you could explain to him that when he can recognize symptoms you would be more then happy to let him stay home for a little while at a time. With my oldest we started while I would be gone for a 1/2hr or less. He can now stay home for about 2 hrs at a time with no issues, but he doesn't have D to worry about.