- advertisement -

At the Endo today..Good news, and Bad News

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Well, we had our 3 month endo appt this morning. This is the one with the nutritionist and not the doctor. So the good news is that my son grew over 1 inches from last time and is now the exact same height as me! :D He is 14.

The bad news is that it has been really, really hard even with the pump to regulate his blood sugars. Wild ride of ups and downs, I am guessing massive growth spurts and hormones....anyway, A1C went from 7.3 to 8.3. :(

So with some talking it over and suggestions they want him to try tethering for a couple of weeks to see if the sugars would be doing better on some Lantus. With the pump doing a minimal .275 per hour drip and then just bolusing through the pump. Now in the past....last year he went on Lantus/Humalog during the summer months cause of his active lifestyle (skateboarder) and having issues keeping his site on all the time. It was easier and frankly we did see that his numbers were a lot more stable during that time. But with school starting it was back to pumping. Nice break but no way he was going to take like 5 shots a day.

I am thinking this tethering is a nice compromise. Just one shot a day (Lantus at night) and everything else the pump is handling.

So anyone out there with a teenager is mid puberty doing tethering? Would like to hear how the numbers for bg have been going if you are on it.

Thanks all!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sorry that the A1C went up but Im sure thats expected when kids are in the midst of puberty. And him growing an inch in 3 months sounds like hes doing lots of growing. I have a friend whos daughter is on the pump and lantus, she is just starting to go through puberty so has been having some high A1Cs lately also.

3. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Thanks for the insight. : ) So I am seeing some trending downward in the overall numbers today. I think the Lantus is keeping things a bit more stable and I did notice that he is sleeping much more soundly the last day. I have been checking bg's throughout the night just cause with the Lantus in him it is new to me again not having the pump do ALL the work.

He did have some early morning lows. And woke up at a 75. Had apple juice went back to sleep a bit more and then rechecked at 102. That was a nice number to have in the morning, since lately it was always close to 200! So we shall see how this progresses.

Thanks.