- advertisement -

Asthma Meds affecting Blood Sugar

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rtjlolson, Feb 4, 2011.

1. rtjlolson

rtjlolson Approved members

Does anyone have experience with their diabetes child also having to take asthma medications? Everytime my son is sick we have to give him orapred and Qvar 80 for his asthma. They send his blood sugar through the roof! It is so frustrating. We are running a 200% basal, dialing in extra insulin, but the #'s are usually 250-350 even with doubling the insulin amounts for the day. The difficulty is that the first day not so much is needed, then by day 5 we are loading up on the insulin to try to get the #down and then he goes low. The endo hasn't been all that much help with this and we are going crazy every time he gets sick....

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Steroids will effect the blood sugar, definitely. I don't know if the above meds are steroids but if they are effecting you son's bg like that they probably are.

3. rtjlolson

rtjlolson Approved members

Yes, they are steroid medications. Our problem is that it's hard to bolus them correctly. I wish they came with a carb label!

4. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

Yep~ My ds too is asthmatic. I HATE steriods!!! We have tried to treat with out them and unfortunately ds NEEDS them to get through! We have the same trouble with bs. We can't catch up and then by the time we do he's off of them and going low! This winter is the first though with the pump. He has recently just went through a tough time and although we didn't get it quite right, we were closer to managing them. Our family physician actually gave me better advice on changing his basal than our endo. I will contact him again for the formula he used and get back to you in the morning. It is soooo difficult to manage the diabetes with asthma!!! Hang in there though, you aren't alone on this one!!!!

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It has nothing to do at all with the carbs in the mediations (I'm assuming they are liquid?) but with the effect that steroids have on the body - they make everyone insulin resistant, the difference is that someone without diabetes is usually able to compensate for the effect with no problem. Someone with T1 who is injecting the insulin they need will often find they need to double, triple, or even more their normal doses to "keep up"... the effects last for a little while after you taper off the steroids too.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

My son uses qvar (nebulized) and this has no effect on his blood sugar - nor does albuterol. None of the nebulized or inhaler meds affect his bg.

What does get his BG up are meds like prednisone and prednisolone - maybe the orapred is like one of those meds. They are oral steroids (pill or liquid) - and I agree it has nothing to do with the carbs of the meds - it is what they do to the body. He usually needs trip the insulin across the board for a basal and bolus. He is on a cgms so this has made it easier. Sometimes I've over-bolused him because it reallly is just a guess. I suggest testing very often if you're not on a cgms - I'd test hourly personally - if there is IOB and depending on the bg, etc.