- advertisement -

Asante Solutions Receives FDA Clearance for Pearl? Insulin Pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Ellen, May 17, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

2. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

i wish there was an online user manual... so I could see what it does..I'm very glad that something new is coming our way.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I was interested in it until I read it contains prefilled GLASS insulin cartridges for up to 7 days. Not sure how I fill about the glass part. 10 year old boys, pumps, and glass don't seem to mix!

Or the 300 units of prefilled insulin part. We change out the insulin cartridges every 3 days (using about 100 unit in that time) because I do not want heat and warmer temperatures breaking down the insulin. I wonder how this pump will keep insulin from going bad in 7 days if it's even a bit warm out.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I love the idea of this. We could easily deal with a 300 unit reservoir with a 7 day deadline! And I would be thrilled with a glass option. The amount of plastic waste we create makes me sick to look at - I have a very green household and everything is reuseable...except the plastic tubing, inset, reservoir, wrappings, inset covers, etc. In almost 5 years we've never broken a glass vial of insulin and it gets terrible treatment - tossed, dropped (accidentally), stuffed in pockets with syringes, crammed into small spaces - so I'm not concerned about having glass in the pump.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think the reason they are glass is because the plastic of the reservoir contributes to the degradation of the insulin, so you couldn't do prefilled plastic cartridges. I want prefilled cartridges!

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Sweet -- I'm just happy to see the FDA is actually approving things!

7. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Agreed. This alone gives me hope about even more options down the road.

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We used glass 300 unit cartridges for 8+ yrs with Disetronic - they worked very well. I also love the fact that this is a pay as you go pump - so perhaps if we don't love it, we could switch to another if the start up cost is not terribly high, or use it as a transition pump until something we like better comes to market, rather than being stuck with one for 4 yrs.

9. Don

Don Approved members

And who knows maybe it will have modern bolus features like the Super Bolus? The pre-filled reservoirs would make changing on the road easier.

10. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

If by Super Bolus you mean more than 25 units, don't expect it. The FDA limits bolus to 25 units. The Veo in Europe has 75 unit bolus.

Thank the FDA for non-modern thinking.:rolleyes:

11. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

As I interpret superbolus, it means giving some basal ahead of time to help bring down a high prior to a meal.

12. Don

Don Approved members

Yes, borrowing from basal to keep the meal spike down. It helps compensate for "fast" acting insulin being slower than a pancreas. I suspect it would used by nearly all pumpers and would go beyond the convenience of pumping to actually lowering A1C's. I find it amazing that it is not a standard feature on all pumps. I assume the FDA is mostly to blame (?) by making it very expensive and lengthy to make any kind of change to pumps.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

14. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member