- advertisement -

ARRRH! (vent thread)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by PseudoJenn, Oct 14, 2009.

1. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

I know I should expect to hear these.. and when I do, I usually let it go in one ear and out the other.. but today/tonight I couldn't!!!

"So, how's your son doing with his Diabetes?"
    me - "Okay, we got him started on the pump this summer"
    "Oh! So is he going to be on that for a long time?"
    me - ???? "Well, yes, he needs insulin for everything he eats."
    "Every time? When will he outgrow it?"
    me - ??? OMG.. "He will have to take insulin every day of his life, multiple times a day, until they find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes."
    "oh.. so he has the bad kind of diabetes,.. that's too bad!"

OMG.. sigh.

I almost feel like I should have a little fact sheet done up so I can hand it to people that are curious/maybe genuinely interested so that they have a better understanding!

The kicker in this all.. the guy is a Type 2!!!

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I"m sorry.
    All the more reason to rename the different types of diabetes.

I hate when the juice plus people try to tell me that their products are so great for people with diabetes:rolleyes:

3. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I know its hard not to get upset when ppl ask questions but you have to remember that not everyone knows as much about Type 1, insulin, pumps ect as we do. I work with a lady who is Type 2 and her grandson is a friend of Joeys. She asks me questions and Im glad to answer because I see it as an opportunity to educate. We cant get upset over every question if our goal is to teach ppl about this disease. Most, not all but most, ppl really dont know anything. Gotta pick your battles if we are going to win this war.

JMO :)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm still trying to figure out which type of diabetes is "good":confused:;)

Yeah, it's annoying. Sometimes it gets on my nerves, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on my mood, I guess.

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

tempted to make a tshirt that lists answers to the most common questions one gets

Yes he is on insulin
    No he will not outgrow this
    Diet did not cause this
    I did nothing to cause this
    Yes, cinnamon tastes good, but it has no impact on Type 1

So on and so forth.....

6. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Neither of them are good. There are some days I feel very restricted with my diet because I am on medication and watching my carb count. My carb count compares to being on NPH 45-60 for meals and 15 or less for snacks. I have learned that I can eat more at breakfast and that will lower my BG's for the entire day than if I had eaten less carbs.

I have felt the diabetic hangover and I do not like them. I am doing my best to keep myself healthy.

--Sara