- advertisement -

Arm wearers, do you use the back of the arm or the outside?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by denise3099, Jun 8, 2011.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We've been doing only butt sites for mm cgm, but when we did arms we'd do the outside, like where you get a flu shot. But do you guys do the back of the arm, like where you got shots? We sometimes but an infusion set back there but haven't put a sensor there. I hadn't thought of it.

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Back. It doesn't seem to get in the way as much.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I do back, side, even towards the front. They've all worked pretty much the same - I've had some great and some not so great sensors in all areas, and I don't have much fat on any part of my arm so it doesn't make much difference. The back is harder for me to put in myself, though, especially since I have to do a bit of fat-pinch to do an arm sensor.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

We do back of the arm though I did do the front once and it worked fine. Seems like the side would be more likely to get bumped. The Navigator has a slim rectangular box presence but does stick out a bit.

5. Tommo

Tommo Approved members

We have been putting Tom's in the back of his arm - until recently - we thought there must be something wrong with the transmitter or something as sensors seemed to die after about 3 days - but turns out that we had overused the sites : ( Now we are using front of the arm, which is all good again : )

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use the side of the arm, up towards the shoulder.

7. denise3099

I guess I just used the back for pump sites since that's where I gave shots on mdi. And I'm not sure why I used the outside for sensors. I think I saw a picutre of one of "our" kids here with a sensor on the outside. That's where podders have their pods--although I guess they do complain about bumping into doorways. So far though she likes butt sites--she says their out of the way. But I hat to over use her little bottom. (Actually, she has quite a canteloupe back there so I guess there's plenty of room :D )

8. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Have just come across this really useful thread (thanks!) after posting some questions about using the arm for sensors elsewhere on this site. We've never used the arm on my 5 year old - but only because I'd never thought about using the arm and we've never had any advice from our medical team about using the arm. I'm going to try it with the next sensor change. Can I just ask though: does it matter that the sensor is vertical rather than horizontal? (although I guess with arm movements this isn't always the case?). I thought I'd read that it needs to be horizontal?
    Also, what do you do when swimming? Do you cover it in any way? At the moment my little girls' sensor is hidden away under her swimming costume. It's pretty robust though isn't it? I mean, it doesn't NEED to be covered for any reason does it? As far as it being visible to other people is concerned, at the moment my little girl isn't fussed at all by other people seeing any of her 'equipment' so I follow her lead and as she is cool about it, I'm cool about it. I know people will stare but I always say to myself that it's out of curiosity and sometimes pity but NOT done in a nasty way.
    What do you think?
    Thanks

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I wear mine as shown, down to an inch above my elbow and nearly to the top. I go a fair way back, but seldom go further forward

I should say this in my infusion set., but I do the same for the sensor,. I also use my butt, hips, legs and belly

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. denise3099

It doesn't matter which direction it's in or if it's up side down. I mean, when you lie down or move it will be in a different direction anyway. Changing the direction also helps use different spots for where the needle actually goes in so you can make the most of your "real estate" this way too.

As far as covering it, what sensor do you use? dd uses the minimed. We cover it always. The seashell is kinda floppy in that it isn't held down so we use flexifix to cover. And I use two dried alcohol pads under the seashell or she'll have a pretty deep red indentation. the whole thing stays dry for a week, until the next change. The new mm sensors out in some countries have more tape though. I don't think dex users cover as much since dex seems more securely "on." Bu you so do NOT want the sensor to come out or get snagged and lose the seashell!!!! They are expensive and if you lose it will not be covered by the warrenty. So most ppl put at least a strip of tape over it.

11. Leah

Leah Approved members

I use the back of my arm, because if I put it on the side, it would bump into things, stick out, and be a lot more noticeable.