- advertisement -

Arizona- Vacation/Things to do

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My mother and her husband are vacationing next month in Arizona. They'd like some ideas of things to do or see in the area. Anyone that lives there, or that has vacationed there with any ideas would be great! :cool:
    Phoenix- Glendale- Flagstaff area

2. jacobandhannah

jacobandhannah Approved members

We don't live in Arizona but my DH's grandparents live in Pheonix and we visited them a few years back. We went to Montezumas castle and to The Grand Canyon. Those are the two things we found most interesting. We hope to go back this summer but I don't know if we will be able to.

3. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

I have visited Arizona several times and have always enjoyed it. I love love love Sedona -- it is beautiful!! The Pink Jeep Tours there are fun and take you on the beautiful red rocks. We drove to Sedona from Scottsdale. It's been a few years, but I don't remember it being too far. I also liked Scottsdale, but I think Sedona is a must! I hope they have a great time!

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Many moons ago for an anniversary, we went to Arizona. We rented a car. Stayed in Scottsdale and Sedona, and we drove one day from Sedona up to the Grand Canyon. In Sedona we hiked the Red Rock area. Tons of fabulous restaurants in Scottsdale and Sedona. I love that area and would like to go back.

We didn't have warm jackets for the Grand Canyon. The temp change was dramatic at the time for us. 80's in Phoenix and 40's in the Grand Canyon! We froze. :) tripadvisor.com is great for information on hotels and restaurants.

5. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I was born and raised in AZ. What do they want to do? Golf? Shop? Touristy towns? Hike? Outdoor activities?

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

They are low 60's (age), active, but not hikers. I think the touristy things would be good for a day since they've never been in the area before.
    They love to look around- she wanted to see a pre-season baseball game, and go horseback riding. She saw it's a day trip (on horses) and thought that was too much- and it was up and down a canyon (too steep for her) so she called that off.
    I'd be happy with all you got for ideas. Even stuff off the beaten path.

7. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

If they are staying in the Phoenix area and have access to a car they will find lots to do. :) There is lots of fun upscale shopping/art galleries in Scottsdale, a sort of old fashioned touristy town called Rawhide along with Spring training for baseball (they can choose by location or team but have them check the stadium map cause some are in Tucson). If they are archetecture/history people there is Frank Loyd Wright's Taliesin to explore or lots of missions. Depending on the resort they are staying at there is always golf, spas, hiking and pools.

As far as Flagstaff that is more laid back. I used to live near there and while I went there alot I can't think of anything touristy. My Grandparents had a time share in the 1980's but they mainly used it to get out of the heat and spend some time in the pintrees and mountains during the summer.

Sedona area is a great rec for easy hikes, beautiful scenery, outlet mall and tourist/art shopping. It is in between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

Let me know if you need more info. :) I am sure others will chime in with ideas.