- advertisement -

Are your kids careful with their "stuff"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Oct 18, 2010.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I know that this is a lot to handle, at any age, and that teens in particular are messy and distractible and hormonal (wait, I just described a toddler, lol, ok, this applies to ALL ages).

I'm curious how careful your CWD are with their supplies. I find the insulin pen all over the house, in his bed, or by the computer (and I have a spot on the counter all organized for storage). He'll be out and about and check his BG and I'll see his meter just sort of chunked onto the table or sort of near his football bag. The other night we were leaving a restaurant (outdoor picnic table type place) and dh found his Lantus rolled under the table. Got home and we had no meter, he left it there.

I'm trying to give grace, and put myself in his shoes, but losing stuff like that isn't really something I can tolerate financially! This particular meter now lives an hour and a half away, I could practically buy a new one for the cost in gas to go get it (add in strips and the extra batteries we keep in there and that's less true).

I'm just curious if this is something the rest of you deal with and what consequences have you had help cut down on the carelessness? Clearly in any other situation I'd just say "sorry, it's gone" if he treated something with such casual regard, but not having a meter isn't an option.

I could ask him to pay for it, that's an option of course, but he's not really a money oriented kid and would likely shell out the cash cheerfully. I really don't want to punish so much as help him become more aware.

Thoughts? Tips?

2. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Mine is fairly good at keeping his testing kit/meter together, however if you look inside of it - quite a mess! How hard could it be to take the used test strips and alcohol swabs and throw them in the trash!!! He does also forget, often, to refill his strips, swabs, etc. (and to change his site too, for that matter). He keeps an extra meter in the backpack that he uses when not in school - which saved him yesterday because his regular meter was completely out of strips....ugh! I am continually saying "do you have your meter?" Don't know what he will do when he goes off to college. Right now I am trying to dangle the carrot of "you can't get a driver's license unless you are responsible about D" - which is still a year away.

So - you are not alone.

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I have to say that mine is pretty good, although he did forget to put the meter in the bag the other day when we went out to lunch. Luckily, we had tested mid-morning, so I just dosed for the carbs in the meal and kept my fingers crossed. It worked out ok. He felt bad about forgetting it though.

I have backup of everything at school - meter, pen, insulin, snacks. And of course there's plenty at home.

I understand your feeling of not wanting to punish but rather to motivate. How about a reward system of some sort? Every time he remembers everything for a day (or a week), he gets a check mark (or a sticker on a chart/calendar). After so many, he gets a reward (video game, itunes, whatever). When he leaves stuff or isn't careful with it, maybe he loses points.

4. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

He is very good about keeping the stuff together in the bag but he is not so good at remembering to take the bag WITH him. I feel like I am always saying, "BAG!"

My big beef so far is the used test strips and alcohol swabs in the bag too.... YUCK!

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

No. Not careful at all. Coco frequently swings her pump around by the tubing when she is bored. It drives me crazy.

6. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

I like the idea of asking him to pay for anything he looses. It's so scary though to think he might loose the insulin while he's out all day. Look forward to others input.

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Ditto on the "not careful at all." Meter is under the bed, fingersticker is on the table, test strips are in the purse, pump is hanging by the tubing when she walks down the hall!

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Just as careful as he is about the rest of his belongings, which is to say, not at all.

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yeah, but I have to say, even as an adult this pretty much describes me as well :eek:

I am pretty good about not forgetting my meter.. but making sure I have enough strips and other goodies, um, not so much :rolleyes:

10. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

Michayla never knows where her kit is, she is always sure someone else moved it though, it is never her fault....

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

At the time that I got my Accu-Chek Aviva meter, they were giving out 2nd ones to people who had one, so you could keep an extra at school.

I've also gotten, I think, four free minimed meters (the minis and one touch ultras) and freebies of a few other brands. I left one of the freebie meters with ten test strips and a lancing device I didn't like in my locker on campus (I lived an hour off campus and lockers cost $10/year to rent). I also left candy in the locker. I also left syringes. I should have, but didn't, leave about 20 units of Novolog in a cartridge there (Novolog that's expired is still pretty much usable).

I check to see that I have carbs and a meter and the Novopen Jr and needles before I leave every time I leave the house.

I have lost one meter, three or four Novopen Jrs, two lancing devices, and a vial of Lantus, mostly in the first year. I've lost two medicalert bracelets. I also lost the transmitter to my Guardian, and an inject-ease.
    I've lost other things that I recovered (through lost and founds and people looking out for me).

Given that I was forgetful before diabetes and that wacky blood sugars make it worse, I do my best not to blame myself for these things.

In terms of replacing the things I've lost, my parents paid for one Novopen Jr. I've gotten cheaper or even free replacements for some of the stuff from people online. And the transmitter for the Guardian and the inject ease I never replaced, much as I missed them.

12. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

Ri is pretty good. We have a hard case her pen goes into for traveling. Its suppose to go back on the bookshelf in here but it doesnt always but its in the room more often than not and she always puts it back in its case.

13. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Add mine to the list of not responsible at all :)

His baseball coaches started making sure that his green bag went with him from warm up to the bench and left the game with him...thank goodness for them.

14. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I'm pretty sure our meter is capable of opening a kitchen drawer, traveling half-way across the house and hiding itself in the laundry hamper. ;) Granted, I've never actually seen it in action, but given the fact that she "always" :rolleyes: puts the meter away in the kitchen drawer, I can't come up with any other reasonable scenario.:D

15. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Willow does this too!!! It drives me batty!! And this evening I went to sit on the couch and her entire bag was spilled out all over. The lancer was on the floor, she went to get more strips bc she could not find the ones that had dropped from the couch and rolled under the coffee table!!

its a constant battle for her to keep her stuff together . . . but its a battle I am still willing to fight! :rolleyes:

16. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I am SO glad to know Jackson isn't the only one who lets his pump dangle from the tubing!! Drives me nuts!

17. momowun

momowun Approved members

I try to train both of us in little 'habits', like putting the finger sticker straight back into the pouch each time .. and having one place for the monitor.. we're still working on this one. Otherwise, unfortunately we end up looking for it everyday, getting the spare one out and inevitably having 3 monitors floating around..

I have a plastic container in the hall cupboard where we keep all the supplies. I don't go for consequences. IMHO Diabetes is tiresome enough without giving it more attention than we already do. I empty out the used strips and packets as I find them. Don't know if this is helpful in the long run for my 10 year old but just for today, I do what I can to share the burden. I can't be a hypocrite either, my handbag, bedroom or car are not spotless, either..

also, will endeavor to get a signature happening, so you know some about me..")

18. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I know this is not helpful at all (sorry!) but that is so dang funny! I don't know why...The image that floated through my mind when I read it just strikes me as hilarious. Although, if it were my son's 6 thousand dollar gadget, I don't think I'd be so amused...

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

She seriously twirls it like, I don't know, a helicopter propeller...I say, you know - that is six grand your swinging around there, she just smiles and keeps twirling!

(But part of me is glad that she sees it as just an extension to her body - like twirling hair or biting fingernails, it is a part of her)

20. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

So far Connor does really well keeping up with his supplies. But he is only 9.

I have a 14 year old who would lose her head if it weren't attached so I am not holding out much hope for Connor's teen years.