- advertisement -

Are you having better luck with the new pods?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Nov 19, 2013.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, not really at all. The difference is that not a single person on here gives two shits whether you pump or use MDI. You seem simultaneously repulsed by and obsessed with pumping, and really that's what people are reacting to. That, and your insistence on giving advice on pumping when you've never had any success with it. You are welcome to have an opinion, but when people find it to be uninformed, they are going to point that out.

I answered your question about going untethered with Omnipod in my first post on this thread. Given that your daughter is FIVE now, I think you have a good amount of time to just relax and enjoy MDI before puberty kicks in.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If you are considering the POD I would suggest that you do the cut the cord program and pay the $200 to get the PDM and then order a box of PODS.

Run the POD with Saline on yourself and play with it mirroring boluses and calculations with the PING. I was amaized by how different they were in setup and daily bolusing, I think the POD/PDM is very user freindly with ALLOT of double checking which is good for my dd at the age of 9.

You have to be comfortable with whatever pump you choose for your dd and not show her your fustrations while learning a new system. In your case I beleive that it is more about your comfort level than your dds if you want it to be a possitive experience for everyone.

I simply can not imagine my dd not pumping at school before she can be independant, we have a great school system here but there is so many kids that need help during the school day that puming has really made it be that she can thrive beyond her DX.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

So I guess my questions would be these:

1) What are the reasons you want to pump?
    2) What are the reasons you want to go untethered?

Going un-tethered has it's place, and can be a good idea in very specific situations, but if you go fully without basal on the pump, you lose the biggest benefit of pumping, the variable and easily adjusted basal.

And, even though you don't have tubing to deal with, most 'clogs' or blockages happen at the cannula, not in the tubing. You still have a cannua with the pod. The big issue there is that if you have a problem you have to remove the entire pod and start over.

What about just using a device like Infusion? It's just cannula inserted, much like a site, and you just use your regular syringe to 'bolus'. no pump involved, but less shots?

4. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

So I don't pump yet but got the Ok to start researching pumps for when I can get one. So I know for a fact that the animas ping is waterproof...maybe telling your daughter that so she didn't worry so much about accidently dropping it in water maybe would alleviate the fear of dropping it in the toilet.

I'm one of the most accident prone people I know. I've dropped a few things in the toilet including an iPhone...I get that she's only 5 but maybe going over features of a pump would help...kids are way smarter than they appear to be.

My 5 year old cousin, after telling him the "table in the kitchen is called an island", informed me it couldn't be an island because there was no water around it....