- advertisement -

Are you having better luck with the new pods?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Nov 19, 2013.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Most of you are aware of our rough pump start with the ping. A whole bunch of issues... I've wanted to try omni pod for awhile now since we started even thinking about pumps. I never liked the idea of tubing BUT I kind of let the endo persuade me into getting a tubed pump since my daughter is little (it's what she recommends for most kids) At our pump class, she demo'd an older pod since the new ones weren't out yet (freaked out when the cannula was inserted of course! I do think it's the loud noise though)

Many of you have had issues with the new pods deactivating or that issue when there's .05 left of the bolus. Have the issues you've experience subsided any? I don't think I can deal with another rough start.

Is apidra fine in the pods? That's one thing I won't give up so I'm hoping it does ok. I don't mind changing sites every 2 days. That's what we had to do with the ping too.

Any issues with the cannulas?

I plan on trying untethered if we can manage that. We really do need the smallest increments of basal and I know omnipod's increments are greater than the ping which poses a problem. I definitely like the idea of having lantus in her system given all the issues the new pods have presented....Has anyone gone untethered with OP successfully?

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We had a rough start with the new pods back in March/April. We had pod after pod deactivate. It was one or two specific lot numbers. These were pods that were manufactured early on. However, since we got that sorted out and our newest shipments have been later manufactured pods, we've had minimal issues. A failure here or there but nothing like before. it was definitely a bad lot we had.

As far as the Apridra, there is no need to change it out early. We have used both Apidra and Novolog in the pods for the past 3.5 years. We are back on Apidra. There is no issue going the three days.

Other than the original nonsense we experienced, we are happy with the new pod and just OmniPod in general. I will admit when we were going thru the failures I was extremely upset and we did go back to Lantus for a few days and it wasn't good, so we went back to podding full time.

THe sound of the insertion is definitely worse than the actual insertion. It even makes me jump!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You can't go untethered with Omnipod. It is not possible to set a zero basal rate on the Pod. The lowest basal rate you could set is 0.05 units per hour, which is 1.2 units per day.

If you can't handle "another rough start", I wouldn't try pumping again until you can. Some people have an easy transition and some do not. It doesn't have much to do with which pump you use.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Added to that may be using Apidra. It seems Apidra works well for some as basal and not for others. You might have problems with the Pod that would be Apidra as basal issues rather than a pumping issue.

To make the pump work, you have to be willing to work with it until you get it. It's very different than MDI. We did MDI for a year. I wanted to throw the pump out of the window for the first week and wasn't too fond of it for at least a month after that, but the smile on my kid's face as she ate carbs without a shot for the first time in over a year made me persevere. Now, after having taken the T1U classes and worked with IDS to learn to master the pump and its benefits, neither of us would EVER want to go back to MDI. The idea of not having temp basals during puberty or illness makes me shutter.

5. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

DD has been on the new pods since August. We've had only two bad pods (one error while priming and one while she was wearing it). I know many of you have problems with the new pods, but I just wanted to tell everyone, that it's not always like that. :)

6. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

On the new pods since August also. 1 occlusion, 1 Pod error and 1 PDM error. Other than the PDM error, pretty similar to where we were with the old pods. Overall quite happy with Omnipod

7. Wren

Wren Approved members

We had problems and they have subsided. The .05 thing hasn't been a problem lately. The biggest issue was resolved by moving to arms instead of tummy. I don't think there would be any way to avoid that kind of issue when starting.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

We had a really good transition to the new pods and a really good long streak where we were wondering what's going on with these people. Then we had a pretty horrible streak with 8-10 failed pods for various reasons.

I'd have a really hard time recommending OmniPod to someone who has a low tolerance for "issues".

9. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We've been on the Omnipod for a month and a half. We've had three pods fail. One was an occlusion and the other two were general pod errors. We weren't given a reason by the PDM for those errors, it just said Pod Failed. Once the cannula pulled out, but that's because Christopher banged his arm against a doorway and hit it just right so that it lifted the pod from the skin enough to pull out the cannula.

Overall, I'm pretty daggone happy with them. Every once in a while Christopher gets whiny about putting on a pod, so I tell him that's fine, he doesn't have to wear it, but we're going back to shots for one month because I don't want to waste an entire vial of pen insulin. Then, like magic, he's fine with putting the pod on. ;)

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Things haven't improved much for us, but we are still using up pods from our August shipments. Our current box has had 3 failures out of 7 used, including one at school this morning. It seems like people using September and later supplies have seen more of an improvement, though. Calling in has been just as miserable an experience. I laughed last week because we are still getting random one/two pod replacements for complaints from months ago - that's how far behind they are. Like a previous commenter, I'm not in the 'recommending OmniPod' business right now. I do think effort is being made but it's been a struggle for too long for us and I'm not impressed. And we still have too many complaints that were not escalated/responded to.

But overall, yes, the trend seems to be general improvement.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've been doing better but had two in 24hrs the other day. If you're easily frustrated I wouldn't recommend it. We had quite a few issues in the beginning on the old pods just because we were getting the hang of it, if you add in all the pod errors now that could be hard to figure out what's going wrong.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We've experienced very few problems with the new pods since we started using them in May.

I don't have experience using Apidra in the pods or going untethered using the pods, but think that both of those would make a fair amount more challenging.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I recall that you said just a couple of days ago that you never wanted your daughter on a pump ever, so I am surprised that you are even considering it. Unless it is the idea of the tubing that bothered you the most maybe? I understand that, and it is the reason that I will not be at all happy if my daughter has to go back to a tubed pump for insurance reasons. As far as I know, neither Medicaid nor Medicare has paid for anyone to have either of these devices.

We have had the same number of failures with the new pods as with the old. Minimal, but they always happen at the worst possible times, like during a bolus and you have to figure our whether she got it all or not. Just like someone else said, each pump has it's own issues. We had issues with infusion sets, and were worried that there is no choice with the pods, but that has never been an issue for her. The cannula is not as flexible in a pod, therefore doesn't bend as easily.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I had major issues with failing during priming. I had over an 80% failure rate at which point I gave up and switched back to my Medtronic pump. Insulet did replace all the pods eventually and other than the significant hold times I really didn't have a customer service issue. I use 2-3 pods a month for things like swimming or wearing dresses and have not had a failure with any pods manufactured after August.

I have never had an issue with Apidra and the pods. I have never had problems with the cannula.

One thing to keep in mind (as mentioned above), I am pretty sure you said your daughter (sorry if I am mixing you up with someone else) is on Medicaid. Most (if not all) of the Medicaid plans in NYS won't pay for the omnipod. I don't have personal experience with medicaid but my omnipod rep is a CDE at an endo clinic that mainly sees medicaid kids and she mentioned that to me. The pods are around $35 each I believe without insurance....

15. Wren

Wren Approved members

You can pull insulin out of the pen vial if you wanted to, right? We did that when the PDM got dunked and we were on pens for 24 hours. Maybe it's just that you'd rather not negotiate which it's going to be all the time. I wouldn't!

16. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

I could. :)

17. missmakaliasmomma

Is it my dream to have her on one? To be completely honest, no, not really. A pump is not my "ideal" thing I guess you could say. Absolutely all of the adults I know with t1, or are spoken about from someone else we know, do not pump. A couple tried it and are happier on pens. So, I don't feel bad for not liking it. I don't personally think I'd want to be on a pump if I had t1, I always said I'd do pens if I were ever dxd. I do think in some situations it would be easier like, if someone were to watch her (my dad doesn't feel comfortable with shots, but will bolus from a pump), when she becomes more independent in school and can bolus herself and I definitely want one for puberty. I do think a lot of my issue with pumps is the tubing. I hate to see her sleeping at night with this tubing around her- it's a mind over matter thing I just couldn't seem to get past. I do want a cgm for her and I decided to just wait until her next appt which is next week so I figured if I was ok with a cgm, why not the pod too? I'm not in a rush for her to go on OP, but I know sooner than I know I will have to reevaluate the situation to better fit her life and needs (like puberty)

18. missmakaliasmomma

Yes, she is on a medicaid managed care plan. It's not "straight" medicaid but I don't know if it makes a difference. That might be an issue and I actually did think of that. I will ask her endo at the next appt (maybe she might know since she deals with the insurance companies)

19. missmakaliasmomma

That's actually how we do MDI now. Pen vials. Her nurse has a pen vial too. It's much less of a waste since she does not even go through 300 units in a month. Well, maybe close to that since we have to have a vial at home and at school. We're left with extra pens too which is helpful.

20. Ali

Ali Approved members

Everyone manages T1 differently but I am an adult (diagnosed at 16)who did shots for over 25 years, switched to a pump and love love it and also started the CGMS as soon (almost) as it was possible. I have used tubed and non tube pumps and for managing my T1 I find it makes my life easier. There is no one right answer but "for me" having a pump allows me to think much less about T1 than I could on shots and the CGMS just makes it even easier to go about my life. Most of the adults I run into pump. :)Ali oh and for me I found syringes much easier to use than pens.