- advertisement -

Are you going to have your child vaccinated for H1N1?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Aug 23, 2009.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

No. I don't feel she's that high risk since she's still home with me and we live in the boonies of northern WI.

2. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

There was a story on CBS Morning Show last week warning about Guillain-Barr Syndrome and the flu vaccine. My DH will not be getting the vaccine because 2 family members got GBS from the previous swine flu vaccine and still suffer some paralysis (sp?). It is my DH's understanding that the problems with the previous vaccine had to do with the manufacturing process and the way the vaccine is incubated in eggs. Because of the rush to produce the present vaccine, he will not even consider taking it himself.

My DH is Nick's step-father so we don't have to worry about the family connection to GBS. We haven't made a final decision regarding the flu vaccine because of D. I guess we'll see what the next few weeks bring. So far, there haven't been any confirmed cases in our county and I've been stocking our cupboards in the event we need to be homebound for a few weeks.

3. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Im going to say yes...only because...my husband is a Manhattan commuter..he is literally closed in on the train or bus everyday..he is around a lot of people and their germs!

4. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I'm leaning toward not. I'm too "troubled" about the quickness of it! We didn't do flu shots either. I just don't know, to tell the truth!

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I don't know how to help guide my son with this decision. It's his decision, but he does take into account my advice. :confused: On a college campus and a house full of 8 guys when one gets the flu, they pretty much all have gotten it. :eek:

6. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

this subject has been weighing on our minds. At this time we have decided that it is best that she does not take it. We took her to see her natural medicine doctor. and he gave her a plan . His swine flu recommendations. something for her to take to help boost her immune system. for preventative measures, and other things to take along with that if it comes here, and if it becomes symptomatic. One of the supplements is something that the astronauts are given. Being that the flu shots contain mercury, this is our reason for not taking it, along with the fact of what happened last time the swine flu came around. the flu shot had a bad effect on people then those who had the flu. Then there is the tamilfu. if neccessary too.

7. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

Having your child vaccinated is without a doubt a personal decission between your child, your doctor, and you. I have observed many posts where some believe that there children are not at high risk and I just want to point to the CDC statistics which document having diabetes in itself is one of the highest risk factors know to them.

This is directly from a CDC update given about a month and a half ago:

Most swine flu hospitalizations are among people with underlying medical conditions:

32% have asthma or chronic lung disease
    16% have diabetes
    10% are current smokers
    7% are pregnant​

An analysis of 99 of the 127 U.S. residents who have died of swine flu shows that 87 of them suffered underlying conditions:

11% had asthma
    24% had other lung diseases
    13% had diabetes
    11% were morbidly obese
    34% were obese​

At present the CDC is pushing social distancing which is what most families have the capability to perform, but differs greatly from isolation and quarantine the latter of which giving the best chance of discouraging contamination. The normal course of the flu virus travels through a geographical area between 12-14 weeks which is a long time for most to remain distant or isolated, and unless Hazz-Mat trained contamination control will be a difficult task outside of wearing gloves, masks, and extensive hand washing. This is not meant to scare anyone but the reality is unless everyone in your family washed their hands over a dozen times today, and each person who was in public immediately came to a outside area stripped and bagged their clothes and immediately went to the washer washing such clothes in hot water there in outside germs and contamination in your home.

I was present at a meeting this past week which included state health officials, emergency management and the CDC there has been no major changes in the worldwide H1N1 with the exception that there was a drug resistant mutation found in Europe and that Turkeys where found infected with the human form of the virus in Central America. The turkey development concerns them greatly because their fear all along is a mutation with the avian bird flu which is clinically a more sever virus with an extremely high mortality rate, the fact this h1N1 can be transmitted by bird greatly raises their fears.

As for us we too will take a wait and see attitude, but unless there is a severe documented negative side effect, we will be getting the vaccine. We have also formed a two stage plan which includes social distancing and personal hygiene as a first level, and isolation and decontamination as a second more drastic level dictated by how the development of the virus transpires. The fact people are discussing it in places like this forum is a great thin within itself.

8. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Do you know if there is data that differentiates between T1 and T2 or outlines incidence of illness/death by age and underlying condition? On the basis of this information I am not convinced that T1 diabetes in otherwise healthy children represents substantially higher risk factor for serious complications from H1N1, given that T2 is far more prevalent and may be associated with other risk factors.

9. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Obviously, Morgan is at high risk so he will be getting it when it is available. He has already gotten the regular flu shot.

10. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

I believe the threshold they used was diabetes= insulin dependent diabetes
    Type 2 non insulin dependent was included in the obese category if they met the criteria

I would gather since the CDC specifically lists diabetes as a high risk category and children 6 months to 24 years of age as a high risk first priority, there is and should be concern, others may wish to dispute and doubt; I do not and will not take the chance. Hopefully and God willing it will all be for nothing.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Thank you for that information. I'm equally as concerned for my other son who suffers from asthma and starts school on Wednesday. Yikes. :cwds:

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My Aunt's mother got the Swine Flu shot in 1976. She developed GBS and then died of it years later. I asked the endo about this and said that this shot was supposed to be developed differently than the one in 1976. My grandmother got the swine flu shot in 76' (she went with that other lady) and never had any problems from it. Died at age 96.

We will be getting the regular flu shot. We have got that for 9 years.

13. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Thanks for the info.
    I'm still not convinced that the 10 deaths attributed to diabetes as the underlying condition are statistically relelvant to T1s without more clear data, which we are unlikely to see. Infants are almost always listed in high risk categories for these situations so that doesn't play into my evaluation of the data. Flu complications from diabetes are statistically higher than in the general population but at this point we don't have data to suggest if the H1N1 represents a real increased risk above the normal flu for diabetics.

We'll be holding off on the H1N1 vaccine until we see how things play out. We've got a plan in place with our naturopath and have the ability to hunker down if we need to if things get bad.

14. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

15. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

We will get the regular flu shot, but not the H1n1. Morgan was significantly exposed weekend before last and did not contract it. She had a camp reunion and was in the house with 7 other kids and together ALL WEEKEND. Well Monday morning one of the kids came down with fever, sore throat, aches...etc. The mom called a couple of days later to say that it was H1N1 and all kids needed to be alerted because of "significant prolonged exposure" . Every kid there had T1, none of the others came down with it. We have passed the 7 day window, so are breathing a little easier now!

Last year, my whole family got the flu shot. I get one every year because of my kids and I work in health care. I was the only one who got the flu AND I had the shot.... so nothing is gauranteed!

So..no experimental vaccines here. I have too many concerns with the lack of research. There are NO long term studies on this vaccine!!!

16. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

does any one know if you have had the swine flu, are you now considered immune? i did read one comment, that having had it offered "little" immunity. I wondered if that were true or not.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I too am not one to job on the new vaccine bandwagon, I prefer the wait and see approach. As always, we will do the regular flu vacc as we have never had any problems with this, but I think I'll sit on the fence a little longer about H1N1.

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think might be like any virus, it mutates just enough that it avoids immunity, but I'm just guessing there. Think about the seasonal flu - you can get it multiple times in one season. Both my kids had it but I'm not really counting on any immunity.

19. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We have gotten the kids the regular flu vaccine in the years since Ryan's diagnosis.

When I asked R's endo about the H1N1 vaccine he said that he didn't see any need for using our kids as guinea pigs to test it out. He is not going to be getting it for his kids and he didn't think that Ryan was at an increased risk because of his diabetes. He said that even though he has diabetes he is very healthy. So...made me rethink even the regular flu vaccine as well.

We will not be getting it...although we could change our minds as circumstances change.

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is also what I think!