- advertisement -

Are there any nutrition scales comparable to the Salter 1450?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Apr 27, 2013.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

And that DO NOT require a code book? I'm asking because someone on another site has a relative just diagnosed with type 1. I recommended a scale but it seems the 1450 is no longer available and any others require a code book. We had one like that for a short time and it was such a pitb compared to the Salter.

Also ours has been acting up lately and I'm worried it will need replacing. I don't want to have to go backwards. That seems crazy in this day and age.

2. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Honestly we have just used a cheap scale that lists in grams, ounces or pounds and then just look up food info on our smartphone using the Calorie King app. Before that we just used the Calorie King book. We mainly only use it to measure bread or fruit.

3. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

We do the same. I bought a small scale at bed bath and beyond that's shows ounces and grams. Then we use calorie king Works for us. I too didn't like the idea of a code book, just one more thing to lug around

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

The 1450 was discontinued quite a while ago. Several D families have recommended the Perfect Portions scale. It has a built in database.

http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/food-scale-nutrition-facts

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

It looks like Perfect Portions still requires a food code though.

I am really missing my 1450. It broke and was still under the 10 year warranty, so I sent it back and they sent me a replacement scale that requires a code book. Ugh. Terrible. Will definitely be following this thread to see if anything comes up.

7. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Yes, the Perfect Portions does require a code book. Honestly, though, we use it for the same things over and over again, so we just have a little chart on a cupboard door with the codes for the 15 or so things that we typically weigh. I love that scale (although I never had a Salter scale to compare it to!)!

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I can't hep with suggestions for a scale that does not use a code book.

But, I have found that we eat mostly the same foods over and over. I have found it helpful to make a cheat sheet and to memorize the carb factors for some foods

Edit oops just read the post above , that is exactly right.

10. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

11. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

We have the EatSmart Digital and LOVE it....while you can use codes for foods, it also has a setting that utilizes the nutrition label on food packages, so to figure out carbs in a bowl of cereal for example, you put in the carbs per the serving size by reading the label while you are weighing your bowl full and it gives you a number...very handy.

It has many other features and we've had the same one for 5 1/2 years, use it everyday and still works great.....

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thanks, I will look into some of these. Sigh, just wish they made the 1450 again lol.

13. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

I just recently heard about the Salter 1450 from a fellow T1D mom after I purchased the perfect portions scale based on a recommendation from someone on here. Honestly, I did what others suggested - went through the code book for the PP scale and made a "cheat sheet" based on the foods my daughter actually eats on a regular basis and taped it to the cupboard door above where I keep the scale.

14. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members