- advertisement -

Are diabetics more susceptible to Poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Jun 17, 2011.

  1. Mrs Puff

    Mrs Puff Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    Messages:
    134
    Of my three kids, only my diabetic child gets poison ivy, and when he does, it is bad :( The other day he climbed a tree that had no poison ivy on it and he broke out in a rash. It could be poison oak this time. So, since diabetics already have autoimmune problems, could allergic reactions to poison ivy be because of this? Can it lead to problems?
     
  2. vettechmomof2

    vettechmomof2 Approved members

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2007
    Messages:
    3,037
    no. My children could roll in poison ivy and only i would get it. Even if I was no where near it.
    I do not have Type 1 and only one of my children do. My poor father seems to get it from the wind:(
     
  3. sarahspins

    sarahspins Approved members

    Joined:
    May 5, 2009
    Messages:
    2,205
    This is just what I was thinking.... everyone has their own degree of sensitivity. Some are going to be more or less sensitive than others - regardless of whatever else is going on with their bodies.

    I've never had a rash from poison ivy, ever... and our property is covered with it anywhere there are trees (it likes the shade). I make sure I wash up extra well any time I've been exposed, and that's been that.. no problems for me. It's super ironic because I'm practically allergic to everything else... it could just be due diligence though, so it's hard to say. What you react to are the oils from the plant - if you get those off quickly enough you will be just fine. I thought I'd gotten poison ivy once.. and it turned out to be ringworm (which I made much worse by applying cortaid).

    My husband on the other hand, seems to get small patches of it whenever he does any kind of yard work... whether he's near the stuff or not.

    The kids are hit and miss. They've all been exposed, and they've all developed a rash now and then, but it's never really been that bad.
     
  4. nanhsot

    nanhsot Approved members

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,626
    I went 40 years with nary a problem, pulled up the same plant year after year and then WHAM, one year I got a full blown, systemic reaction that knocked me flat on my behind for a long time, it was HORRIBLE.

    So you can develop a reaction, even many years into life.

    My diabetic son has been exposed to poison ivy many times in his life and coincidentally didn't get a reaction until after diagnosis. I honestly don't think his D had anything to do with it though, I think the fact that he was CHAINSAWING it with short sleeves on had everything to do with it! Resin spewing everywhere, makes me itch just to think about it.

    Poison ivy is e.v.i.l.
     
  5. lynn

    lynn Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2006
    Messages:
    3,112
    Same here. Three of my seven kids get poison ivy. One son gets it crazy bad. If he touches the cat after the cat has been through poison ivy then he will get it. He swells up and needs steroids to help it clear up. My son with diabetes doesn't pay a whit of attention to avoid the plant and he has never had a reaction to it.
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice