- advertisement -

Appointment with nephrologist tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lauraqofu, Nov 11, 2013.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We don't have experience with this with Isaac, however TJ did have protein in his urine right before we found out he had Grave's disease. I do not have all the answers as to how the autoimmune disorders with thyroid interact with kidney function, or if it was just by chance, but he went on thyroid meds and an ace inhibitor and within a month as his thyroid levels came back into range and protein in urine went away he was slowly (over months) taken off of both meds. So, even if your child ends up needing a certain medication it may not be permanent.
    Additionally, my husband remembers his teen years being very frustrating for many reason - he would try his hardest and still his BG's would be high/low with no rhyme or reason, he was frustrated about how much he had to bring with him everywhere (at this time he was on multiple shots, and had a very slow BIG glucometer), and he ALWAYS felt hungry.
    I think from what he says his teen years were not easy, but it did smooth out as he got older, as he utilized newer insulins and technology, too.
    We are not at this stage at all with Isaac yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt - but maybe if you got her hooked up with other kids with t1d through some group(s) that would help. I know in the Seattle area there are several places to get together, it might also help her to buddy up with a younger child with t1d so that she sees others are looking up to her to be a positive proactive role model, set the tone that you believe she can do this and that she is an able bodied person to do the hard work it takes to be healthy with t1d.
    Don't beat yourself up, take the information from the doctors and move on to make the best decisions you can from here on out. :)

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

The appointment with the nephrologist was so much easier than I thought it would be. They said that the tests indicated there was inflammation, and put her on an ACE inhibitor.

After the appointment, she said she really wanted to try harder...so were going to try and start again like it's brand new. I was able to get up in the middle of the night and test her, she was fine, thankfully.

3. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Great to here the appt. went well. My son is 12 and I can't imagine the rollercoaster ride the teen years will bring while trying to manage diabetes. Wishing you and your daughter the best.

Has your daughter went to camp? My son was totally hands and avoided diabetes care at first and diabetes camp was wonderful to help him not feel alone to taking some responsibility in diabetes care. I think that support is going to be vital to help him and me survive adolescence.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'm so glad the appointment went well.