- advertisement -

Appliance recommendations, please.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by goochgirl, Jul 16, 2011.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I'm going to need to buy a washer/dryer and vacuum ,for my new house, right away. Fortunately, we get to inherit a dishwasher that my parent's only used for about a week. All other old appliances are, at least, working.

As for the washing machine, I need a HUGE capacity. My parents have a Bosch, but the washing takes an eternity! Besides being very expensive. So, I'm not interested in that one. My GF has a Fisher Paykel that I borrowed once and it was extremely quiet. I liked it, so I'm leaning toward that one. I'm hoping you all can pass on your wash/dryer wisdom and give me advantages and disadvantages before I purchase.

The house is entirely carpeted. I'm leaning toward a Dyson. Which one?? Anything else I should look at? I will have to carry it up/down stairs (with my bad knees) that is something I need to consider.

Thanks for your help!!

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I er, um... had a dyson on each level. animal up stairs, yellow one down. My sisters vac took a dump, and she borrowed (stole) the yellow one, and broke it! :mad: so I have a dirt devil down now.

So dyson on main level living, another good vacume on other.

I have a front loader, I dont care for it so much, if your like me, and you dont militantly check pockets, you can be in a heep of hurt, as I was when my liner at the door ripped due to a barrette and flooded my basement. The repair was free due to warrenty, however, the basement clean up- stunk. I do have mine on a drawer, so its easier on the back. otherwise the bending to fish your clothes out sucks.

my next washer will be a top loader with a window top-let the cats have a thrill to watch the clothes swish.

my; dryer is old, but works. thats all that counts.

fridge, would love a side by side with a water dispenser, have an old one now, but works.

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I have a front load washer & dryer from LG. Love them! We do laundry for 7 people. I can stuff a ton of clothes in and it all comes out very clean. It does take a bit longer than my top loader did but it also uses less water and I can wash more at one time...so economically it evens out.

I also have them on the pedestals(drawers). I don't really use the drawers for storage but as Valerie said it sure beats bending over to fish the clothes out. :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago we got a glass top range to replace our 18 year old range. I thought I would be so happy not having to take apart the heating coils and scrub the chrome rings. Wrong! It's just as much work to keep the glass top clean. Every tiny thing that gets spilled on the surface burns on immediately. It's constant maintenance. So, if you're a a bit of a procrastinator like me :eek: ...well, it can be a real pain.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Another with an LG washer/dryer.. I also adore mine. The cycles DO generally take longer than a top loader (the longest cycle on mine with all the options is almost 3 hours!) HOWEVER, the wash cycle I use the most takes 43 minutes. Not too bad. Mine are also on drawers and I like that, however we're actually considering buying a second set and stacking both in the laundry room so we have two full sets.. but mostly it's because I feel like we're CONSTANTLY running laundry, and that has nothing to do with the length of the cycles, it just tends to pile up faster than we can get it done.

I have a dyson slim (I actually have two of them, long story) and I love it.. I will probably never own another non-dyson vacuum. They're just smartly designed, and before I bought mine I thought it was a ton of money for a vacuum that looks like so much plastic but I've had both of mine for 6 years now and they're holding up great and I've had fewer problems with them than I've had with any other vacuum ever - and I used to be the type that went through at least one a year because I am so hard on them.

5. skimom

skimom Approved members

Another LG front loader fan here- yes it takes longer ( though there is a rapid wash feature 20 minutes) but has very high capacity so actually is about even in time department. I have a dyson animal - LOVE it and it handles my Golden Retriever's hair deposits just fine. I also have the Miele dishwasher, Thermador 6 burner all gas range and 36 inch kitchen aid french door bottom mount fridge . We just finished a MAJOR reno and replaced all of my 21 year old appliances.My favorite new "appliance" is the instant hot water dispenser in the kitchen.

6. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

If you want a shorter wash cycle and quick drying time from the dryer, I can not recommend Speed Queen enough. And I'm talking about a TOP loader. It is the ONLY top loader I would recommend and it is BETTER than any other top loader out there.

See, Maytag used to make really good top loaders until about 1999, then they sold out to Whirlpool and the quality dropped WAY off. Speed Queen has been making washers forever, especially commercial washers for laundromats and apartments and such. They used to make washers for home use as well and they were good, but they had some kind of change in the company and stopped making them for awhile. Speed Queen is now made by the Alliance Corporation in Wisconsin. They started making washers for the home again around 2003 I think, and filled the void left by Maytag for top quality washers for the home. They made improvements to their own quality.

They are American made and have by far the longest warranty in the industry. The agitator is narrow so it takes up very little space, yet has a unique design and action that is very gentle on clothes yet helps get them very clean. The capacity is much larger than you would expect from a top loader. The washers are gentle as a dove yet strong as an ox. They are exceptionally smooth and quiet. They are self leveling for off balanced loads. They don't break down. They work and keep working. They are old school. They use a simple process that works with no bells and whistles. There is no fancy computer control panel to break down.

The heavy wash cycle takes about 1/2 hour. Do they use more water than a front loader? Yes they do. Clothes need water to come clean, IMHO. But they come clean in 1/2 hour. The shorter cycle time makes up for the increase in water.

Man, I could go on and on. Just a little more, I promise. Ask an appliance repair guy about Speed Queen. Read customer reviews online. They are the only reviews that count. I don't trust Consumer Reports at all. It's actually hard to find a BAD Speed Queen review from an actual owner.

Oh, the dryer. Uh, it dries clothes really well.:p

7. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Same thing happened to me ... did not check pockets and now the door liner is ripped and leaks. I liked the Cabrio I have used at work ... as for the pedestals you can buy ... they are over 200.00 each. You could build something to set them on much cheaper than that.

Crystal

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I have a top loading Fisher & Paykel and love it. I don't like my dryer as much - Samsung, front loading, difficult to get the clothes in and out of the small opening compared to the old dryer I had. I wish I spent the money and bought a Fisher & Paykel dryer.

9. lynn

lynn Approved members

I second the Speed Queen. I went through an Amana and a Maytag in five years. We wash for nine people so our washer gets a workout. I have now had the Speed Queen for about six years and have never had a problem with it. I LOVE that it doesn't have the computer panel to break---that's an expensive fix!

We don't use a dryer.

Our house doesn't have any carpet so I can't help on the vacuum either.