- advertisement -

Apple Juice and Arsenic.... new report

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Nov 30, 2011.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

2. Deal

Deal Approved members

A cynic might suggest that the FDA was caught in bed with big business again.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Two years ago my kid had chronic stomach aches as did many other kids in her class, they were treated like they were trying to get out of work.

I asked the principal about the water supply. She said they had a quarter million dollar filter system and tested regularly.

I found out a year after leaving the school that they had elevated fluoride levels (our own well has three times what you would get from a municipal supply, and regular filters don't filter it out). No one ever informed us. As far as I know, the system hasn't been fixed. Chronic overexposure to fluoride causes digestive upset and, of course, that discoloration on the teeth.

It's really hard to trust any system these days. The folks who populate the system generally don't know any better than you do about this stuff, and if you are successful enough in the FDA, school system, corporation to rise to the top it's by convincing yourself you're really telling the truth -- pretty much -- when you say the arsenic doesn't matter or the water is just fine. It makes me want to grab my family and go live in a cave. We're so entangled with these systems -- we get our food, water, every product we use to clean, sleep on, put in our babies' mouths -- from someone else somewhere else that we've never met and that we have no way of knowing if they can be trusted or not. I remember the China lead scandal a couple years ago, all the kids toys with lead in them and the toothpaste with poison. For a year, you could buy some toys not made in China. I just started looking for Christmas gifts this year, and we're back to all China all the time again. :(

Sorry for the ramble. It makes me sad to see these stories, because so many of my friends have such trust. They truly believe no company would let juice have arsenic, no government agency would allow it to get through if they did. It's so absurd, to think we are putting arsenic in baby bottles, it just can't be true. :(

4. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Our youngest is not diabetic but she is alergic to Eggs, Milk, Pork and Corn. Corn or corn derived products are in everything or so it seems. One drink choice is natural apple juce, I gues we will have filter that a bit more as well.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Scary. But I'm happy to say that the only juice we use for Emma is grape juice - mainly because its a lot more carbs per ounce than apple juice and it allows me to reduce the amount of ounces I give her to get her up - that's the only reason, but now I'm glad we've done that

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

From the article:

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Before we all throw out our apple juice stocks, it is worth considering that the FDA level of concern (which was apparently exceeded in 10% of the samples) is 23 ppb. By comparison the EPA drinking water limit of 10 ppb.

There are a lot of factors of safety built into these numbers. One is the assumption that essentially all liquids being consumed by the person have the same level of arsenic (or whatever) in them.

Here in Ontario, the drinking water standard is a bit higher (25 ppb).

This is not a finding that will cause me to stop using apple juice.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I agree primarily because so much less juice than water is consumed. However, I think the point was made that there is NO FDA limit on arsenic in juice and that does need to be addressed.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry, I must have missed that. Where exactly did it say there is NO FDA limit?

10. swellman

Today Show with Consumer Reports Scientist

Sorry, that was mentioned on the Today Show by the lead Consumer Reports scientist on the project.

Quoted from an industry FAQ

I'm fairly confident that a "level of concern" isn't a regulated limit.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Yes, I am sure that everything that the "Juice Products Association" says is 100% truthful. ;) This is Washington at it's finest. :rolleyes:

12. swellman

That's just completely jaded but I am curious as to what, exactly, did you see that you thought was untruthful?

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

It's just the whole question/answer video. Classic DC lobbying. But perhaps I AM jaded, having worked for a lobby in DC back in the early 90's and unfortunately know how these lobbyists operate. ;)

14. swellman

Ah, the video ... I didn't watch it. It appeared that you were questioning the quote I posted to one specific section regarding safety limits and my only intention in posting a link to that one specific section of the FAQ was to support my assertion that there weren't current established safety limits.

Obviously, one should use caution when reading industry FAQs.

15. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I've been drinking apple juice for a while and I'm not poisoned yet... I'm honestly more concerned with a potential bloodsugar spike than arsenic poisoning.

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, I apologize - I wasn't directing my comment at you - I should have made that clear.:eek: I was commenting on the FAQ. ;)

17. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Lisa, I agree with you all the way. I wish we had Like buttons here.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

Honest to goodness folks, as parents of kids with Type 1 D let me tell you there are things which may worth worrying about - but the level of arsenic in the apple juice your kid may drink now and then is not one of them.

Now if you own a juice factory or are apple juice nuts and all your family drinks is apple juice 24/7 then I'd be all for getting your juice tested - but otherwise this is really a non-issue, compared to the much bigger ones our kids face.

If you're really worried - be a scientist! Just take your brand of juice to a lab and get a sample tested for arsenic. Cost should be less than $50..

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

And rightly so.. :cwds:

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well, thank you very much, Wilf, for telling me what I should and shouldn't be worrying about. :rolleyes: Not that I need to explain myself to you, but my biggest concern is if the FDA lied about this in the past and are only coming "clean" about it now, what else are they lying about? THAT is what concerns me.