- advertisement -

App suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by goochgirl, Apr 6, 2012.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

My husband, or former husband, I should say, was abducted by aliens. His replacement model is so different, I don't know how those little green men thought I wouldn't notice the difference. Anyway, alien husband wanted to show me how much he appreciated all the work I do that usually goes unnoticed and unappreciated. Alien husband even thanked me for for the children! Then, he surprised me with an Iphone. (see, you didn't think I had proof of the alien abduction, but its obvious!) My former phone was my former (abducted)husbands hand me down of the first model of Iphone. Not a bad phone, but I was looking forward to a little update. Anyway, we are turning old phone into a game player for my younger kids who always try to play games on my phone. The only one I know of is Angry Birds, which I refuse to get them. Can you all suggest nice, preferably educational, games for a 7 year old and nearly 6 year old? Also, is there a new, and good, D related App that is helpful? Thank you !!

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I don't know that I can suggest much for the iphone.. the best educational things I have are on the ipad, but you can get Brain Pop and How Stuff Works for the iPhone.. both of which entertain my 6 year old :)

Chicktionary is also fun, but it often uses some pretty obscure words, so the puzzles are hard to "solve" for a kid (I find them a challenge myself), but there really isn't anything about it that isn't okay for kids - mine love the chicken noises and when a puzzle gets too hard they just start a new one - they're not that upset that they don't finish them :)

My 4 year old is absolutely OBSESSED with a puzzle game called rail maze... it's like the old windows game pipe dream, except it uses train tracks and trains, not pipes and water. I am convinced my 4 year old is better at playing it than I am.

I do have to say though, Angry Birds is really not that bad... it does help build problem solving skills. Each level is basically a puzzle. Unlike a lot of mindless games it does actually require some thinking :)

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Just a word of caution, be sure you have it set to disable in app purchases. My 6 year old granddaughter loves playing games on my iPad, not too educational ones lol, mostly ones where you make cookies and cupcakes and things like that. Anyway, sometimes these apps have a pop up that will ask if you want to purchase things and my husband made the mistake of letting her purchase someting small. After you purchase something in app you don't have to put your password in again, and anyway, the smarty remembered the password. As money means nothing to her, she purchased over $100 worth of app stuff! We were able to get our money back but wow. The game she plays that I think is the cutest is called Let's create pottery at pottery game.com. You actually throw a pot and shape it and decorate it.

I am interested in learning about better apps for her and also some good apps for me. I heard about one called My Medical, I think, where you can keep track of everyone's medical info and prescription needs, but I haven't looked into it yet. There is also one called Around Me that let's you find things that are nearest to you like pharmacies, hospitals, food, etc that is helpful.

Nice replacement husband!:p

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just purchased My Medical for my iPad and it looks like it is going to be very helpful and easy to use. I am inputting all of our meds now and there are places to keep track of hospitalizations, surgeries, appts etc. My friend told me about it and she really thinks it is helpful.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

There is a great app called Outside-ville. Your kids actually go outside and play in the fresh air and sunshine. There are great games like tag, catch, soccer, and even bike riding. The advantages are they get exercise, interact with other human beings and experience the beauty of nature. The best part is that it is 100% FREE!

Yes, my post is dripping with sarcasm, probably because my 13 year old appears to have found a way to surgically attach her phone to her hand and will only look up from the screen if there is a thermo-nuclear explosion nearby, and then only maybe look up for a second and then go back to the screen to Google "how to survive a thermo-nuclear explosion". All her friends are the same way. Actually, so are most adults I see when I am out in the world. Everyone has their heads down, and their thumbs furiously pecking away at their devices.

Contrary to the above, I actually really like technology, and keep up with the latest advances, so I am not a techno-phobe by any means. I think I am just uncomfortable by the way it can disconnect people (especially kids) from each other. Yes, I know Facebook, Twitter etc are great and they connect people yadda yadda.

No real advice for you here, just a rant. :rolleyes:

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Uh huh.. and 100% of the time every day I find myself in situations where just taking the kids outside to play is a completely realistic option.. like waiting in line at the bank, or the tax office, or at the doctor. :rolleyes:

I love it when people like you say this stuff... I probably spent more time outside playing with MY kids than you do, EVERY SINGLE DAY :mad: I don't have the luxury of simply taking time off "work" to get things done... the kids are ALWAYS with me.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

What the heck? People like Chris? Sorry- but my kid stands in line next to me for the 4 minutes it takes...my kids have never needed constant entertainment.

I tend to be like Chris - or at least what he typed in his post, which I wonder if you really read - technology has its place in a child's life. My state actually purchases laptops for all middle school children and all of their assignments are completed on the laptop. Hell, we are even trailing iPads in kindergarten as a learning tool.

He never said you didn't go outside - he voiced his frustration at his TEENAGE daughter never looking up from the screen. He did not insult you, or really anyone, so why insult him?

As for taking off "work" to get things done - that insults me - the single mom who works two freaking jobs and STILL manages to get things done. With her kids in tow when need be. I love it when people like you seem to resent those of us who HAVE to work. Good for you for being able to stay home and take care of your kids and play outside. Make sure you thank your husband for all the time he willingly sacrifices so that you have this option.

Sorry - your post really rubbed me wrong. We are not all entitled enough to spend the day with our children. Maybe you resent having to wait in line with your kids, but I resent the fact that I do not even have that option.

Cry me a freakin river - OMG - you HAVE to spend time with your kids!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Wow...uhmm...what's with all the hate and negativity?

My post was meant in good natured humor. You completely missed the point of my post.

"People like me"? You have no idea who I am or anything about me, my situation or what I do with my daughter on a daily basis.

Your post makes you seem very bitter, mean, ignorant and self-absorbed. Hopefully that is not who you really are. I don't know anything about you, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I know virtually nothing of phone apps so this probably wont help;) My boys are loving "Minecraft" lately! I mean absolutely loving it! Im not sure how educational it is but its non-violent and your character is doing just that, mining and crafting. You can mine for all kinds of treasure in mine shafts or above ground or you can build yourself a house or cathedral. I suppose it would be good for anyone who was interested in being an architect or engineer or a treasure hunter:) and its just fun. Im not sure if there are any Scrabble games for the phone. Those can be real fun and educational

10. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

We are wanting to turn my old iphone in to a game unit for the boys too and I have tried to get apps on it only but the apps also download on to my current iphone when I link it to itunes. I have a message into a relative that works for apple to see what I need to do as I have also noticed that all my text messages and emails are showing on both phones too.
    As for apps I have found alot of free or cheap apps on Itunes under educational they have a free area

11. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

But Chris, think of all those poor thumbs that went completely unexercised before texting. Those teenagers are just getting some hand exercise and umm, hand/eye coordination!

My 3 yo has her own apps on my phone for when we are stuck somewhere shlepping her siblings. She loves her Olivia paint game and peekaboo farm

12. Jasmine'smummy

Jasmine'smummy Approved members

I won't let my kids touch my phone! If I did it would be dropped down a drain, left on a wall, thrown out the window because someone else wanted a turn.......and I had to wait a long time for a smart phone!

Sara

13. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I am the nice aunt. When the 2 year old and 4 year old are with me they can play on my phone, but the have to share. They seem to be really into the puss in boots fruit ninja game. The 2 year old laughs cause I will go oh no you blew us up when he hits the bombs. The 4 year old can play the game. I now have the puss in boots, or cat, on my ipod touch. They may not have to share.
    Wendy

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Where's my water -- is a cute ipad game that is also available for the iphone.

15. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Cross fingers is a great puzzle game...for 6 to 96! My girls like tiny town, Zoe loves pottery lite (weird, but she's creative), and we play lots of games in the car with it...life, family feud, guess phrase! We love it! Those are all free apps : )