- advertisement -

Apidra users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, May 8, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, so this whole tslim, apidra occlusions thing has me researching. Turns out that apidra itself/sanofi recommends you change out insulin pump cartridge every 48 hours...didn't know that!

Maybe it's just that these newer insulins are not meant to be out of vial, start breaking down and nothing to do with the tslim pump itself. Right now he never really goes more than 48 due to cartridge size, so it's never been tested.

My question: if you use apidra, do you notice any issues/problems on day 3, if you pump and make it that long without a site/cartridge change?

Thanks. The whole goal with considering tslim (who are super helpful on the phone) is to allow him longer time between site changes. If that's not happening, not sure it's worth it.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We used Apidra in the Pod for a year. Had no issue going the three days on the Pod. But went off of Apidra because Hana's numbers were all over the place on it. But it was the same on day 1 as it was on day 3.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We used Apidra in the Revel for about 5 months, and numbers were a bit sketchy on day three, especially in warmer weather. Then again, we didn't have much luck with Apidra in general.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Cartridges have never lasted more than 2 days since we've been using
    Apidra, so I have no idea how long they might actually last. As for sites, we gave up fighting it & always change every other day. We cannot get more than 48 hrs out of a site, & often only get 24-36. Her numbers are so much smoother on Apidra that it's worth the inconvenience for us.

ETA: Just to clarify...cartridges life is short for us due to insulin needs.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  5. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We usually go at least 2 site changes with the same cartridge. (shhh...don't tell :eek:). I don't notice any difference in numbers. Site changes have to be changed by day three or it all goes wonky! But we've changed the site, even with the cartridge on day 4 thru 6, no difference.

6. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

We switched to the t-slim from the ping pumping apidra in October.

I can only tell you our personal experience, but looking back now, when pumping apidra in the ping we saw numbers creep up between day 2 and 3. I always thought it was something to do with the site.

We switched to humalog in the tslim after occlusion problems. We were not able to get more than 2 days with the apidra in the tslim.

We are using humalog in the tslim and change the site/cartridge every 3 days. The numbers are the same on day 1 as day 3. There have been days where it is
    day 4 and "oh its site change day". (yes the site reminder is on she just "forgot" it went off.....teenager)

There may be others who can get more than 2 days out of Apidra in tslim , but for us it did not work.

That said, I think things worked out better for us in the long run:) She really loves her tslim.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Is it possible to reuse tlsim cartridges?

8. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

I have never tried to reuse them, during training if I remember right, I think they told us you would not be able to.

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I think i was seeing trend but I could be wrong as not everyone location is not shown. Anyway could it be a warm weather is a big influence. Further north less issues with going past 3 days.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

we fill the reservoir and change that and the tubing when empty (usually between 4 and 6 days). Haven't seen a problem yet.

Though everything is a problem right now so who the hell knows. ;)