- advertisement -

Apidra user: help please

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jan 21, 2009.

?

How did Apidra affect your I;C and basal

1. no change to I:C or basal

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. increased both

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. decreased both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. increased I:C same basal

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. decreased I:C same basal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. increased basal same I:C

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. decreased basal same I:C

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. something else - please post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I tried Apidra with my DD around Xmas and we had to stop because the fast onset and decline made her feel like she was low with almost every bolus. I would like to try it again using a combo bolus to see if that will help with the feeling low issues.(i may try a cmg trail during the next attempt) I have read alot of posts and thought that the this poll may help me figure things out.

2. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Ah, but we aren't pumping. Perhaps that makes a difference? I voted no change. Of course it wouldn't change our basal as we're using Lantus. And once we fiddled around with the Apidra, we ended up using the same I:C ratios after a week of juggling.

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

When we made the switch in July:
    Humalog: ISF was 200, IC was 20
    Apidra: ISF: 150, IC: 15

So, in our case, we had to decrease both ratios by 25%, meaning that 25% more volume of insulin was needed.

It took a few days watching the CGM to conclude these adjustments. The adjustments remained stable for a few
    months after the switch to Apidra, then changed further in September possibly due to phasing out of the honeymoon.

4. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Hailey's basals increased dramatically but her ratio's and sensitivity stayed the same. We had a LOT of highs the first few days and I think we ended up increasing her basals by around 30% when all was said and done. That said, I would not try Apidra on my daughter without the cgms. It just works so fast in her! The results were dramatic for Hailey.

5. alismom

alismom Approved members

We are on day five of the switch to Apidra. Allison's basal rates have not changed, her i/c ratios have gone up (less insulin) and sensitivity has remained the same. All of this is "so far" since this is so recent. I agree with others that a CGMS is really important with this insulin, I was shocked at how much quicker it worked on Allison than Novolog. We are impressed and plan to stick with it.

6. cwdAdmin

cwdAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Off-Label Reminder

Apidra offers flexible insulin dosing to help manage mealtime blood sugar levels and works to improve mealtime blood sugar control in children 4 years and older with type 1 diabetes and adults with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Apidra is not FDA-approved for children under age 4.

Although Apidra use for young children is off-label, health professionals sometimes still prescribe Apidra. Before using, please discuss Apidra options/benefits and risks with your diabetes health care team.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How did this become a "sticky"???

Whatever, my dd is 4 and I am/was working with the endo on this.