- advertisement -

Apidra Trial

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Chippy28, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I am picking up a sample vial of Apidra tomorrow and was wondering what the consensus is on how Apidra works when changing from Novolog/Humolog.

I am currently using Novolog and it lasts approximately 4 hours in my body and I usually need to prebolus meals by about 15 minutes. What changes should I expect? Will I need to change my basal rates or bolus ratios? Does TDD change? Anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the info. The vial will probably last me about 1.5-2 weeks and I really don't want to spend those 2 weeks fighting highs and lows if I can avoid it. :)

2. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

We had to make a few changes in CJ's settings but that's a pretty frequent thing in a growing toddler that is very insulin sensitive so I'm not sure it's a worthy comparison. We've noticed it's lifespan is about 2.5 to 3 hours with a slight tail that you might not even notice we've noticed it works to bring down highs much faster and the need to prebolus is almost nill with the exception of high GI foods. A few people at our JDRF walk mentioned it was much easier to come down from a high and didn't give them a "dropping" feeling, CJ has been less cranky but that could be attributed to the shortened amount of time spent high. It was a sligh adjustment but then again at 6 months in we're still adjusting period

3. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Niki, thanks for the info. I am happy to see that you didn't have to make too many changes. I am really hoping this insulin works well for me.:)

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

You may be able to drop the need for prebolusing, certainly you'll have to reduce the time if the 15 minutes has been working for you.

We've found that we can interchange Novolog and Apidra 1:1, but the Apidra is so much faster.. :cwds: