- advertisement -

Apidra started in pump...<sigh>

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Jul 31, 2011.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Why...why...why???????????????????????????????? Anyone else want to run back to Novolog instead of stick it out??????????????

Day one: some lows...85-90% basal and juices, then about 100 mg/dl most of the night, going up to 190

Day two: some highs... not too rough

Day three...highs and higher...400+ that doesn't want to respond to corrections for 8 hours. Change site. Give shot with double correction. MM sensor. 110% temp basal. Play outside. Finally hours later 169-170 mg/dl. Keep upping temp basal.

Currently needing 140% temp basal, double insulin for corrections, and working on food??

<Sigh> I hate dealing with changing insulin. I just don't want her to miss out on something that could make her life easier in the long run.

It's made in Germany--it's gotta be good, right?!:p

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You're braver than I am, sister.

I'll be interested to hear what you think.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

So sorry you are having a rough start! We like Apidra very much. (I think it works better than Humalog, and Novolog for my daughter.) I think it takes some getting used to.
    I remember when dd went from shots to MDI and I gave up on Lantus after four terrible days. It took a year for me to try it again (and switch to daytime Lantus shot) and then I really appreciated the benefits.
    I think a new insulin takes a litte time to work out the kinks-- such as finding your child's DIA and correction factors.
    Good luck!

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I was ready to run back, & did...the first time we tried it. The 2nd try was rough beginning the 2nd day, but by the end of the week things started settling down.

Yet I've been told that Novolog, Humalog & Apidra are completely interchangeable & there's no difference in action...all based on scientific studies. Too bad my child wasn't one of the subjects, because we've seen a huge difference when switching.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

For my younger son, he would go high on early on day 3 like that. We tried for two weeks. We switched him back to Novolog. He does fine on that. Used Apidra on older son for last year and worked good. But, changed him back to Novolog to make it easier on vacations(had two in summer) and other things coming up so I only had to carry one kind of insulin.

6. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

It takes a good three weeks to see what Apidra can actually do. Over the course of the first several weeks, wild fluctuations of blood sugars. Lows for a solid week,then highs for a week. After the third week, all the basals went back to where they were when using Novolog. (I should have left the basals alone) Been using Apidra for almost a year now, and sticking with it. I'd say what your seeing is pretty much what others have posted also.

7. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Sorry you are having a hard time. We love apidra,I guess we got lucky and only had to change insulin duration. I say stick with it a few weeks and keep tweaking. If you don't like it at that point then switch back.

8. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We found that we had to up the basals about 25% right away (of course YDMV). I don't remember what our basal rates were when we changed to Apidra, but for example, if it was 2.0u for the whole day I just upped it to 2.5 and spread it over the whole day. We also had to change the DIA to 2.5, which seems to be spot on. I think it was 4 with Novolog. Keep with it - it is worth it. We noticed our breakfast spikes were not as bad and there is no tail (that I can see) with Apridra. I don't know that it starts working faster necessarily, but it works quicker once it gets going.

Also, it starts to lose its potency before the 28th day, so try not to use it in the pump if it's around 25 days old. When I pull a new vial from the fridge I write the date on it (just did it this morning, so 8/1 is on the vial). I will probably not use it after the 25th of this month.

Also, heat will effect it. So keep that vial in a drawer somewhere that it won't get any type of heat.

9. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Update...back to Novolog. Apidra would do fine for the first 1.5-2 days of a site and then just out of the blue 400's-500's...

We just did not see the benefit at this time to stick it out. I really couldn't see that it was faster for Liv. And to quote Liv, "It's not bloody worth it".;) That meant the highs and the real possibility of only get 2 days out of a site.

I know that she wasn't on it for long...but as of now, it was not worth the switch for Liv.

10. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We're also trying Apidra for the first time. Just started yesterday. Starting school today. Our Endo, told us we'd have to change sites every other day.

So far I'm not seeing much difference, but it's early.

I'd be interested in others experience with the claimed speedier action. We have a problem with random morning spikes and are hoping Apidra will help with getting them corrected in time for lunch.