- advertisement -

Apidra pumpers, do you get a full 3-4 days out of the insulin in the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Apr 15, 2011.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Now I know my dd is different in the sence that she wears her pump very close to the body, (in a tanktop pocket between the shoulder blades or a bit lower), and some of this my be more of a Temperature issue?

Just wondering? becuase I swear I want to start changing the insulin out every 2days between A1C's to see if just that will help.

There have been mulitple times that she has been stuck a bit high above 200 but not spikeing terribly and once the insulin is changed, new or old (4day site), she then has wonderfull numbers.

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We generally get 3 days out of ours. She wears it in her front hip pocket or in a spi-belt depending on her mood:)

3. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

We use Apidra in an OmniPod and get 3 days out of it.

4. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

This is my current situation exactly. I called my endo last week and told him I wanted to do this, and he's all for me trying it. I am new to Apidra, and I love the way that it works faster for me than Novolog or Humalog, and has a shorter "tail" of action. BUT, I just can't get the insulin to work well past the two day mark! So I'm now trying out changing sites every two days to see if it helps.

By the way, if you read the insert that comes with the Apidra, you will see that it is only approved for use in the pump for two days anyway.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We started having the same thing with my younger son on Apidra. I had to switch him back to Novolog because the highs every three days was killing the A1C.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I don't often make it to day 4 (run out of insulin) but I don't seem to have problems with highs from the *insulin* on day 3... I wear my pump clipped to my bra 99% of the time.

I usually only leave sites in the same place for 2 days... I use contact detatch so I actually unstick it and "move" the site... not entirely recommended, but they're expensive.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Yes. I change every 2 and 1/2 days. It happens about 80 percent of the time. Do not know if insulin degrades or my body starts to develop a reaction/rejection of the insulin at the site. I had this same result with humolog but not with novolog. I get much better results with Apidra using a 2 and 1/2 day schedule. ali

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Used to be 3-4 days, but we started seeing a rise at 2.5 days. It's not insulin or temp here. I tried changing out the apidra sooner but left in the set. It didn't help. I also tried overfilling the cartridge and only changing the set. It's definitely the site here. We change the set every 2 days now with no problems.

I love Apidra and experimented to be sure it wasn't the rumored heat sensitivity.

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Apidra - it's funny insulin - when it works it's amazing but when it doesn't - it can drive you crazy. We always used steel sets - Sure-Ts. The sites started failing after a day - I was getting no delivery alarms (which I had never seen before on Humalog) and crazy, unexplained highs. I trowled back through all the Apidra threads on here and saw that I was not alone. Some of them seemed to suggest that the steel sets and Apidra don't work well together. We switched to a different infusion set - Silhouettes - and all the issues went away - we get three full days and the site is still functioning as normal. A few weeks ago my husband did the set change and filled the 3.0ml resevoir to the top (I usually only put 100u in it). I did not want to throw away that much insulin after three days so I just changed the site and kept the resevoir and tubing - it lasted another three full days with great numbers so we've been doing that since with no detrimental numbers as yet.

So you might try different infusion sets and see if that helps first. I'm so glad we didn't give up.

10. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

This is my biggest complaint about Apidra...the sites fail quickly. I change the site, but not insulin and tubing, every day or day and a half but the actual insulin lasts. I then change the insulin the next round. I have no idea what makes a site "fail" but is driving me nuts. Sometimes I wait to see if my son will come down from a high with corrections because it seems like we just changed the site, but he never comes down until its changed. Then there is usually a low. It is making me rethink this Apidra thing.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We get three days with the pod too. BUT, what your describing does sound like it got too warm:(

12. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

That's what I was finding - strangely, the basal was working just fine but as soon as he bolused the problems would start. He would get a no delivery and not tell me. If I gave him a shot of Apidra, he would come down within an hour but correcting with the pump did nothing. Are there other infusion sets you could try with the Ping? All our issues have gone away since we started with the Silhouettes (an angled, teflon set) - I'm still using the same areas on his tush and his tummy as before.

13. kk4jbird

kk4jbird Approved members

My ds has been pumping with Apidra since last fall. Mostly we do not have as drastic flucations of BG's from day one to day three of the site due to absorption issues like we did with Humalog. It was almost like he needed different basal and bolus/carb ratio settings depending on what day of the site it was. Also less of a tail causing lows. I change his site every three days and usually change his infusion set by day three or four and haven't noticed any signifigant BG changes. However I do not change the infusion set the same day as I put in a new site. I alternate these procedures so that on day one for example when he might be absorbing extremely well and more likely to get low he will not also be responding to fresh insulin. On the night before the day I change his site I change his infusion set so that if he is not absorbing quite at well, then at least he has fresh insulin. For my son it just seems to keep things more even keel if I'm not throwing two variables into the mix at once. I always change the insulin by day four. And I know soon when it gets hot out I will be changing the insulin every couple of days.

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We had that problem too, but after changing to steel sets, we do not see that problems except we have the additional problem of a piggy tail that on our steel set that still has old insulin in it and we will not see better numbers after the insulin change for awile after the change.

15. alismom

alismom Approved members

We use Aprida in the Omnipod and always get three days out of it with no problem.

16. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Caleb has been using Apidra since October. The first 2 months were fabulous and then things started to go sideways. After trouble shooting every other issue, he went back to Novolog for a month and is now back on Apidra for a couple of weeks. I am still watching things closely, but feel that Apidra is giving up after about 48 hours, different than Novolog which typically gets through the 72 hours of the Pod.

17. timkris724

timkris724 Approved members

Shoot, we use the contact detach which are steel sets. I was going to call and switch to Apidra today now I read this??? What to do?

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

We get 4 days. I have seen crazy stubborn highs where I would SWEAR that the site must have gone bad, but in most cases if I leave the site in, magically the next day is fine.

Sometimes I wonder if Apidra is more sensitive to varying insulin resistance than other insulins. What I mean is, highs tend to go higher and lows tend to go lower.

But it is very easy to blame the insulin when really, it is just that diabetes is unpredictable.

19. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Yes, and on the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I've changed a site thinking the crazy stubborn highs are site or insulin related, only to find that the crazy stubborn highs continue, and she really just needed a crap-ton more insulin.

20. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

When we are changing the site because of highs I have been waiting to see if my son comes down for hours. I do correction after correction as he goes higher and higher and then add in 50% increase in basal to that to no avail. Change the site and there you go. All fixed down he comes. Trust me I would not be blaming the sites if I hadn't already tried everything to prove them wrong.:(