- advertisement -

Apidra poll of sorts......

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Toni, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Toni

Toni Banned

For those who use Apidra:
    How long does it take to start working?
    What is the time of the peak insulin action after bolus or injection?
    What is the duration of insulin action?
    After giving a correction with Apidra, how soon before you can give another correction?
    How long after meals can you correct when using Apidra?
    How does Apidra handle high-fat foods (I am guessing not well)?

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

We/my dd just started in July on it.
    what with swimming/summer/school restart I don't have things figured out again.

but I love it.
    It seems to get right in there and attacking that sugar. it works quicker.
    doesn't seem to have long tail on it.

hopefully we can hook upto the dexcom tomorrow and start seeing some patterns.

I love it though.

3. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

For those who use Apidra:
    How long does it take to start working?

--------10-25 minutes depending on where injected and bolus size--------

What is the time of the peak insulin action after bolus or injection?
    ------------1 hour--------------
    What is the duration of insulin action?
    -------------2.5 hours -------
    After giving a correction with Apidra, how soon before you can give another correction?
    ---------it depends on where we are 1.5- 2.0 hours later, if still high, I will give a full correction at 2.0 hours, OR if I don't see a downward trend on the CGM at 1.5 hours, I will give 1/2 a correction. It is not usual to see much more of a drop after 2.0 hours-------------

How long after meals can you correct when using Apidra?
    -----------it depends on the meal , fat content how much time it was pre bolused with and where he is at. Most times, If he is over 150 at 1.5 hours PP he needs a correction to get into range.---------------------

How does Apidra handle high-fat foods?

-------------It works well, but like most insulin's you will still need to extend the bolus out. -------------

The first month his body spent adjusting to the new insulin, I had to make a lot of adjustments, somedays he'd be high then low and then high.

After a few weeks we saw useable patterns and were able to run the proper tests for DIA, and ISF ect...

If you are not using a CGM I would recommmend setting an alarm after each bolus. With the insulin you are used to your internal clock is not set to a new DIA and you may find scary lows as you are going to have to adjust things. You are likely used to testing at 3 hours PP and you will need to get the internal clock adjusted to 1.5 or 2 hours... so you don't get surprise lows.

If you have a CGM, just keep a close eye on the PP bolus numbers so you are aware of the new patterns.

4. Toni

Toni Banned

Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I know sampling Apidra for one week was not enough. Very interesting that it does take about a month for the body to adjust to a new insulin; and that major changes would be made after the month period.